Linux POP mail and MS Exchange integration

Linux POP mail and MS Exchange integration

Post by Marv » Sat, 15 Nov 2003 03:40:53

Hello,

I would like to setup 200 remote users in our organization with Linux
POP accounts, the other 50 internal users would use Microsoft Exchange
mailboxes for their email.  I need a solution that would allow all
Microsoft and Linux email users to use a common domain name (ie.

create mailboxes on the Exchange server that simply forward messages
to Linux POP accounts.  The whole point of this is to lower the $$ we
spend on Micro$oft licen$ing.

Thanks,
Marvin

Post by Charlie Gibb » Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:20:19

>I would like to setup 200 remote users in our organization with Linux
>POP accounts, the other 50 internal users would use Microsoft Exchange
>mailboxes for their email.  I need a solution that would allow all
>Microsoft and Linux email users to use a common domain name (ie.

>create mailboxes on the Exchange server that simply forward messages
>to Linux POP accounts.  The whole point of this is to lower the $$ we
>spend on Micro$oft licen$ing.

This might be totally off-topic, but on the other hand it might
come in handy if you start running into problems.  Just last week
a customer notified us that my homebrewed e-mail sending program
was failing when trying to send mail to a Microsoft Exchange server.
It turns out that the server was barfing on the RCPT TO: commands
that my program was sending to it, because it didn't like the way
my program enclosed the e-mail address in angle brackets, as mandated
by RFC2821.  I had to add an option to drop the angle brackets when
talking to an Exchange server.

--

\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
 X   Top-posted messages will probably be ignored.  See RFC1855.

Post by alt » Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:29:15

>>I would like to setup 200 remote users in our organization with Linux
>>POP accounts, the other 50 internal users would use Microsoft Exchange
>>mailboxes for their email.  I need a solution that would allow all
>>Microsoft and Linux email users to use a common domain name (ie.

>>create mailboxes on the Exchange server that simply forward messages
>>to Linux POP accounts.  The whole point of this is to lower the $$ we
>>spend on Micro$oft licen$ing.

> This might be totally off-topic, but on the other hand it might
> come in handy if you start running into problems.  Just last week
> a customer notified us that my homebrewed e-mail sending program
> was failing when trying to send mail to a Microsoft Exchange server.
> It turns out that the server was barfing on the RCPT TO: commands
> that my program was sending to it, because it didn't like the way
> my program enclosed the e-mail address in angle brackets, as mandated
> by RFC2821.  I had to add an option to drop the angle brackets when
> talking to an Exchange server.

> --

> \ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
>  X   Top-posted messages will probably be ignored.  See RFC1855.
> / \  HTML will DEFINITELY be ignored.  Join the ASCII ribbon campaign!

/me shakes head.

--
Donovan Hill

Linux POP mail and MS Exchange integration

Post by not availibl » Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:29:49

Couldn't you set up all mailboxes on the linux
machine as the default mail host, then forward
the inhouse mail to exchange for MS problems.
I never could get MS to act as secondary DNS
it complains that my SAO records are currupt.
I wouldn't put it past them to do the same thing
with email.
Robert

1. MS Exchange and Unix mail integration

  I have one MS Exchange server handling emails for NT and
Win
 98 systems. A week ago, I managed to send email from a hp-
ux to the server
 (by configuring sendmail). What I'm looking for now is to
send email from
 Outlook to an hp-ux machine. But the problem is that I
can't find a valid

 Moreover, pinging hp_d310 actually works!!
 Is there any configuration to make under Exchange?...or
Unix? (i've already done
 everything in the hosts.txt and the DNS).
 Is it because SMTP refuses underscores?
 What syntax should I try?
 I've been told to make a custom recipient in Exchange to
point back to the HP server root
 account ; How can I do that?
 Thanks for your help and sorry for my poor english!
 pamz.

2. serial tty_driver add .owner field remove MOD_INC/DEC_USE_COUNT (fwd)

3. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

4. Having trouble publicly mounting a zip.

5. Unix Mail & MS Exchange Mail

6. WWW: OS News announces regular Linux column

7. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux

8. kmenuedit error message

9. Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

10. Any linux/open-source mail clients that grok MS-exchange?

11. reading MS Exchange Mail in Linux

12. Getting MS Exchange Mail on Linux?

13. MS Exchange and Linux Mail