pppd demand dialing - ioctl(SIOCSIFDSTADDR): Cannot assign requested address(99)

pppd demand dialing - ioctl(SIOCSIFDSTADDR): Cannot assign requested address(99)

Post by Nick Luce » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Im trying to get pppd (2.3.7, kernel 2.2.5) to dial out on demand. I added
"demand :168.121.1.1 idle 600 holdoff 20 ipcp-accept-local" to my dialout,
and now when i run pon I get this error in my logs, and pppd dies.

ioctl(SIOCSIFDSTADDR): Cannot assign requested address(99)

I get this error no matter what IP I assign to the remote server. i searched
on dejanews, google, and astalavista looking for a solution, but all i found
was to add the ipcp-accept-local line, and echo 1 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr.

If anyone has seen this problem before or possibly has a solution I would
love to here it.

Nick

Post by Clifford Ki » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

: Im trying to get pppd (2.3.7, kernel 2.2.5) to dial out on demand. I added
: "demand :168.121.1.1 idle 600 holdoff 20 ipcp-accept-local" to my dialout,
: and now when i run pon I get this error in my logs, and pppd dies.

: ioctl(SIOCSIFDSTADDR): Cannot assign requested address(99)

This works for me:

demand 192.168.0.1:192.168.0.2 ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote ...

Pppd then uses the addresses provided by the ISP and demand dialing works.
In addition you need to set ip_dynaddr.

--

pppd demand dialing - ioctl(SIOCSIFDSTADDR): Cannot assign requested address(99)

Post by Nick Luce » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

<>Im trying to get pppd (2.3.7, kernel 2.2.5) to dial out on demand. I added
<>"demand :168.121.1.1 idle 600 holdoff 20 ipcp-accept-local" to my dialout,
<>and now when i run pon I get this error in my logs, and pppd dies.
<>
<>ioctl(SIOCSIFDSTADDR): Cannot assign requested address(99)
<>
<>I get this error no matter what IP I assign to the remote server. i searched
<>on dejanews, google, and astalavista looking for a solution, but all i found
<>was to add the ipcp-accept-local line, and echo 1 >
<>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr.
<>
<>If anyone has seen this problem before or possibly has a solution I would
<>love to here it.
<>
<>Nick

Just wanted to note that I got it working, for some reason pppd doesnt like
the ip I told it to assign to the remote server (the servers real ip), once
I made those changes, and changed that ip everything started working. Thanks
for your help

Nick

1. TALK cannot assign requested address (99)

Hi all,

I have a problem with TALK: when I'm trying to talk to another user, I always
get the following message:

[Couldn't bind to control socket: cannot assign requested address (99)]

instead of being able to talk. I'm running Slackware 2.0.0 (Linux 1.0.9) withoutnetwork cards (only PPP), but this problem also occurs when trying to talk bet-
ween two virtual consoles.

Who knows about help for this problem?

Thank you very much

Stefan

2. Live Conferencing

3. Q: talk error--[Couldn't bind to control socket : Cannot assign requested address (99)]

4. lpr problem with /dev/printer

5. pppd 2.3.5 error-"Cannot assign requested address"

6. Word Perfect

7. sco_cpd: SIOCGIFADDR: Cannot assign requested address

8. Netscape takes down X11

9. ifconfig ... le0: Cannot assign requested address

10. apache startup error: cannot assign requested address: make_sock.

11. SATAN cannot assign requested address

12. SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

13. SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address (please help)