samba is dancing samba

Post by Thomas Knauf » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:50:44

Hi,

since several month we are running samba 2.2.0 on a  kernel 2.4.4

Since approx 9 days clients are disconecting from time to time ("network
drive not available")
a few seconds later everything is ok again. the seems to happen when the
server has high load.

clients running NT40-SP6a and W2k, SP2, der error shows up on different
clients

on thje server there is a "ping" running to a central router, when a client
"hangs" the ping-time
increases for a short time up to 1500 ms, after that it goes back to normal.
(approx 0.9 ms)

I change the NIC (rtl-chipset to 3c509), the cable, the access-point (from a
hub to a switch)
other errors whithin the network are not shown, all access to our Novell und
WinNT/Win2000
Server are ok.

cause we set it up several months ago and run it without any problems untill
now I am now
"at the end of my ideas"

the Samba-Logfile show nothing that looks critical to me, also log/warn and
log/messages looks fine.

where can I search for errors further ?
what logs shall I inspect ?

thanks in advance
Thomas

P.S.
excuse my english, please

samba is dancing samba

Post by Michael Heimin » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 04:21:43

randomly at the keyboard, until the following was produced:

Quote:> Hi,

> since several month we are running samba 2.2.0 on a  kernel 2.4.4

> Since approx 9 days clients are disconecting from time to time
> ("network drive not available")
> a few seconds later everything is ok again. the seems to happen
> when the server has high load.

> clients running NT40-SP6a and W2k, SP2, der error shows up on
> different clients

I heard remotely, M$ did put something in the latest SP to make
samba incompatible, check samba.org and perform a google search,
may be there's more info, or the latest samba version knows how to
work around this. What would one expect from M$, samba is
better/faster/cheaper, so it's the only way for them to
"compete"....

Michael Heiming
--
Remove the +SIGNS case mail bounces.

samba is dancing samba

Post by Thomas Knauf » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:38:29

>randomly at the keyboard, until the following was produced:

>> Hi,

>> since several month we are running samba 2.2.0 on a  kernel 2.4.4

>> Since approx 9 days clients are disconecting from time to time
>> ("network drive not available")
>> a few seconds later everything is ok again. the seems to happen
>> when the server has high load.

>> clients running NT40-SP6a and W2k, SP2, der error shows up on
>> different clients

>I heard remotely, M$ did put something in the latest SP to make
>samba incompatible, check samba.org and perform a google search,
>may be there's more info, or the latest samba version knows how to
>work around this. What would one expect from M$, samba is
>better/faster/cheaper, so it's the only way for them to
>"compete"....
:-)

>Michael Heiming

We did not change anything on several clients during last months but
the error also occurs there so I still think about a configuration
problem on the linux box - but I have no idea where to search.

thomas

1. My question has still not been answered.Dance..Dance...Dance...

So again for the 3rd time, prove me wrong and show me specifically how
much easier it is to set up:

1. Internet connection sharing.
2. Printer/scanner sharing with Linux/Windows mixed system.
3. Firewall (software based).

Again under Win98SE:

1. Internet connection sharing:
        Try help "how do I share my internet connection?" duhhhhhh

2. Printer Sharing:
        Click on Printers/Share  Duhhhh again.

3. Firewall:
        Try Zonealarm which has been written up in just about every
magazine and trade rag. No configuration necessary. It blocks your
ports and informs you with a popup everytime something is trying to
gain access to your system. You have the option of giving access or
not. No need to type in all kinds of ip addresses although you can do
that if you wish also.

So how does one go about doing this easily under Linux?

It's very easy to do under Windows. Not one file to edit.

So how about a direct rebuttal to prove me wrong instead of all of the
lame attempts at deflecting a direct question.

Is answering a direct question too difficult for the Linux people?

2. Filesystem (SVR3) guru advice sought for data recovery

3. Linux/Samba Machine & User Accounts for Samba PDC in samba-2.2.1a Question?

4. MkLinux ethernet configuration probs

5. SAMBA, SAMBA, SAMBA

6. Hi all and a question about make world

7. Can't dance the samba

8. Question about rarp

9. Newbie loves Linux, but can't get samba to dance......

10. Linux and Win98 dancing Samba

11. dancing the samba

12. Dancing Samba with a Rogue

13. Dancing the Samba with WP and an Epson Stylus Color