Xircom CardBus - eth0 does not exist

Post by Sebastien Ma » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 06:44:23

I am a bit ashamed of this simple question, but i hope somebody will
avoid me to read a full linux network configuration book before i
begin to understand something :-).

I use a Dell laptop with redhat 7.3 and a Xircom CardBus. I used to
have the card configured to use DHCP with my DSL modem. Then the modem
went down. I fixed it, but then DHCP never worked again. I the entered
my configuration manually to get my internet connection back.

During the boot process i have:

Jul 22 17:06:34 localhost network: Setting network parameters:
succeeded
Jul 22 17:06:35 localhost network: Bringing up loopback interface:
succeeded
Jul 22 17:06:35 localhost ifup: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
Jul 22 17:06:35 localhost ifup: Failed to bring up eth0.
Jul 22 17:06:35 localhost network: Bringing up interface eth0:  failed

The card is working, i have an internet connection:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:A4:15:1F:CF
          inet addr:64.192.215.237  Bcast:64.192.215.239
Mask:255.255.255.252
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:338420 (330.4 Kb)  TX bytes:123206 (120.3 Kb)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x4800

I don't understand why the eth0 interface cannot be brought-up during
the boot process. I suspect this is why DHCP is not working.

Any help appreciated.

Sebastien Marc.

Xircom CardBus - eth0 does not exist

Post by Michael Muelle » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:04:01

Hi Sebastien,

> I use a Dell laptop with redhat 7.3 and a Xircom CardBus. I used to
> have the card configured to use DHCP with my DSL modem. Then the modem
> went down. I fixed it, but then DHCP never worked again. I the entered
> my configuration manually to get my internet connection back.
[...]
> Jul 22 17:06:35 localhost ifup: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
> Jul 22 17:06:35 localhost ifup: Failed to bring up eth0.
> Jul 22 17:06:35 localhost network: Bringing up interface eth0:  failed

> The card is working, i have an internet connection:
[...]
> I don't understand why the eth0 interface cannot be brought-up during
> the boot process. I suspect this is why DHCP is not working.

PCMCIA-/CardBus-Cards have to be prepared a bit before the card specific
driver can use them. This is done by the pcmcia utilities during the
boot process - but presumable after bringing up the normal (ISA, PCI,
...) network interfaces. This step seems to work correctly since you can
bring up the eth0 device by hand after booting.

I would supect the RedHat custumized version of the pcmcia-cs should
call /etc/network-scripts/ifup when the ethernet card is ready. You then
would set the interface for DHCP but not to start upon bootup. It the
should be configured as soon as you plug the card into the slot. Cards
which already have been in place during the boot process are seen as
cards inserted at the time pcmcia-cs is starting.

But it looks like RedHat did miss to integrate PCMCIA/Cardbus correctly
within the 7.3 release. Try to update the redhat-config-network and the
pcmcia-cs package. Someone else fixed a similar problem with a little
hack: http://jackal.dnsalias.com:8080/public/misc/wireless/wireless.html

Malware

1. Mount point does not exist/device fd0 does not exist

Does anybody know why i get this message when i try to mount my fd0?
The first times i tried, it worked, i could read and write to
diskette.  Suddenly it was not possible anymore. I give it the command
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

I tried many things, got suggestions of colleagues, but nothing works.
I tried to alter my mtab and fstab, that did not work either.

2. Simple use of sed-- Please help

3. eth0: device does not exist

4. trident 9440 driver + settings wanted

5. NE2000/PCI ethernet card: eth0 does not exist

6. Semaphore implementation

7. PPP not replacing existing default route to eth0[0.0.0.0]

8. not replacing existing default route to eth0

9. Xircom RBEM56g 10/100 ethernet and 56K modem Cardbus PCMCIA adaptor

10. Xircom CardBus RLE-100

11. Xircom RBE-100 CardBus Ethernet problems

12. Kernel 2.4.4 probs on a Toshiba Laptop w/Xircom Cardbus net/56k