httpd server on linux

Post by Datamocrac » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi,  I'm trying to get httd 1.5 running on a linux standalone
machine (i.e., just localhost).  When I start the httpd daemon,
the error_log starts piling up messages about getting a segment
violation signal and dumping core.

I assume a lot of people have web servers on their machine...
has anyone experienced this problem?  I've tried on both
1.2.13 and 1.3.52 kernels and get the same message.

Thanks,

Karl Goldstein

httpd server on linux

Post by Mark Koles » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,  I'm trying to get httd 1.5 running on a linux standalone
: machine (i.e., just localhost).  When I start the httpd daemon,
: the error_log starts piling up messages about getting a segment
: violation signal and dumping core.

: I assume a lot of people have web servers on their machine...
: has anyone experienced this problem?  I've tried on both
: 1.2.13 and 1.3.52 kernels and get the same message.

I use NCSA on my HPUX machine with good results, but I use Apache on my Linux
Server (1.2.8) and am very satisfied with the results. The Linux machine
currently supports 4 virtual domains complete with Pop E-mail service.

---------------------------------------

Kick it!

1. Newbie - (dumb CERN httpd question, Linux as server, which server ?)

Hello all,

  Here are a few ignorant questions (I have scoured the newsgroups, and just
can't find what I'm looking for, so please go easy on me!). :

 A friend and I are planning to start a Web server to allow small businesses in
our area to advertise.  We want to do CGI's, image maps, forms, etc ...  I have
a few questions for anyone to answer (please send me email) :

 1) The more research I do, it seems like Linux is the best way to go over a
Windows based server setup.  Does anyone dispute  this or have input on it ?
How
much of a concern is security (I read the CERN security FAQ last night)?

2) Assuming we run with Linux,  which server should we run (CERN, NCSA,
APACHE)?

3) I have CERN httpd on my linux partition, and am able to run it, but I get
the
   strangest problem.  I know it's my ignorance , but I can't seem to find the
answer anywhere.  I have a directory that I set up in the /etc/httpd.conf file
and when i do a http://myhost/ using Netscape (v1.x), I get the directory, just
as I expect.  When click on my test html documents, all I get is the list
again.  I am running the server in verbose mode, and do not see any glaring
problems (but I am new to this stuff!).  I see where it resolves my html
document name and figures out the content length, but still no document.
Here's the really weird part - I set up a welcome.html document, and when I use
the URL specified above, I get the document!  This doc has links to my other
test documents, but
when I click on the link, nothing !  I read about all of the content types that
cern httpd needs to be able to handle, but I also read that they are all almost
builtin to the web server app.  I'm at my wits end with my own ignorance!
Please
help !!

  Thanks for any response

  Bob Lewis

2. about apache

3. httpd.h in Apache httpd server src tree

4. KDE desktop won't save settings

5. W3C httpd or NCSA httpd servers on Amdahl UTS2.1

6. Diag.Code F05 on model F40

7. Installing httpd to /var/httpd or to /usr/local/etc/httpd

9. NCSA httpd/Linux 2.0.x and 'httpd:cant resolve symbol recvmsg'

10. Linux Benchmarks/httpd server issues

11. NCSA Httpd server on Linux

12. INSTALLING NCSA HTTPD SERVER ON LINUX SLACKWARE IN A PC INTEL BASED

13. Using Win NT as app server from Linux & NCSA httpd