Error message from modem when attempting to connect to ISP

Error message from modem when attempting to connect to ISP

Post by Jaso » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello everyone,
        I know youre all probably tired of working with Internet connection
problems but here goes.

I am currently running a 6x86 with 32MB ram
I have a Diamond Stealth 56i (Flex) modem
My ISP uses NT their server software, and uses passive mode ppp
I have attempted to connect using both minicom (from the ppp-howto) and
ezppp (since it seems to be one of the easiest to configure) but I am
getting this message when I tail -f messages:

pppd[397]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
pppd[397]: Modem hangup
pppd[397]: Connection terminated.
pppd[397]: Exit.

Please help me in anyway you can, including any faqs or howtos to help.
Currently I have used the PPP-HOWTO, the NETWORKING-HOWTO, and the
ISP-Hookup-HOW-TO.

Jason

Post by Mike Rod » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hello everyone,
>         I know youre all probably tired of working with Internet connection
> problems but here goes.

> I am currently running a 6x86 with 32MB ram
> I have a Diamond Stealth 56i (Flex) modem
> My ISP uses NT their server software, and uses passive mode ppp
> I have attempted to connect using both minicom (from the ppp-howto) and
> ezppp (since it seems to be one of the easiest to configure) but I am
> getting this message when I tail -f messages:

> pppd[397]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> pppd[397]: Modem hangup
> pppd[397]: Connection terminated.
> pppd[397]: Exit.

> Please help me in anyway you can, including any faqs or howtos to help.
> Currently I have used the PPP-HOWTO, the NETWORKING-HOWTO, and the
> ISP-Hookup-HOW-TO.

> Jason

I think you need to get the latest version of PPP and compile it with
MS-CHAP support enabled.  When you untar it, you'll see a README.mschap;
read that and it will tell you everything you need to do.  I'm not sure
where to get the latest version but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
Good luck,

Mike

1. "Modem Busy" Message When Attempting to Connect to ISP

I can't get past first base.  I have tried without success to make a PPP
connection between my internal PnP Diamond Stealth modem and my ISP. I
tried to configure my modem using both the YaST set-up administrator that
came with my S.u.S.E. Linux distribution and later the "kppp" set-up tool
in KDE. When I use kppp, I get the repeated message "modem busy" whenever
I try to connect.  I've read the HOW-TO on serial connections and used
Windows 98 to make sure that IRQ 3 is used only by COM 2 (I even disable
COM 4 to isolate IRQ 3 to COM 2 alone).  Linux shows that ttyS1 (COM 2)
is linked to IRQ 3, however, "proc/interrupts" does not show IRQ 3 at
all.  In fact, "/proc/interrupts" shows "serial (auto)" on a higher
numbered IRQ.

I've read the instructions about setting jumpers on my modem, or
disabling PnP in my bios, or using some kind of special PnP tool from
RedHat.  Surely there must be an easier way. I can't believe that the
millions of people with PnP modems who are now trying out Linux have to
go through such hoops to make a connection to the Internet.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

2. Image conversion package required

3. "Modem Busy" When Attempting to Connect to ISP

4. Imake

5. Can anyone diagnose my error messages when trying to connect to an ISP?

6. RH 6.2, DHCP, 2NIC's figured out

7. write: warning: Input/output error (5) when attempting to connect

8. Change UNIX Password using other way

9. Odd error message when attempting to mount CDRW or zips

10. "no screens found" error message when attempting to start X under Mandrake 7.0

11. ftp: connect: a remote host refused an attempted connect operation.

12. Error messages attempting to install new drive - SS20 Sol8

13. setclock: connect: A remote host refused an attempted connect operation.