Got 100Mbps from 3Com 3c905BTX on RH 5.2, finally

Got 100Mbps from 3Com 3c905BTX on RH 5.2, finally

Post by Ray War » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Red Hat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36-0.7, one 3Com 3c905BaseTX 10/100Mbps NIC

Driver loaded into the kernel, not a module.

The card would power on at 100Mbps according to my hub, then drop down
to 10Mbps when the driver was loaded.

I added at the boot prompt:  LILO:  linux ether=0,0,4,4,eth0

Seems to work!

1. RH 5.2, USR 56 Pnp modem (NOT Winmodem)) - Finally!

    Well, after two weeks of cursing and pulling my hair out, I finally got
my modem to work perfectly under Linux. I thought I'd be smart and upgrade
my kernel to 2.2.6, to get PnP support. Heh. What a fool I was. Finally, I
started messing around with the few jumpers on my board (my modem
documentation said nothing about the jumpers), I managed to get the modem on
Com 2, using all the correct port and IRQ settings. Voila, Minicom dialed my
modem, ezPPP dialed my modem, Usernet dialed my modem... I was very happy.
So the moral of the story is, if you are using a PnP modem, one way to save
yourself a lot of headache is to try and disable the PnP on the modem,
despite what the 2.2.6 kernel may claim about PnP support. (Although I have
to say that with a little bit of tweaking, it worked wonderfully with my SB
AWE64 PnP - thanks to isapnptools.)

    -Jeff

--
Jeff Wilson
"Gentlemen! There's no fighting in here! This is the War Room!" - Dr.

2. Problems with xxgdb

3. FTP RH 5.2 -> RH 5.2 = NFT (No File Transfer)

4. ls and large file size

5. RH 5.2 with 3COM Megahertz 10/100 LAN CardBus

6. X resolution on thinkpad 755cd

7. 3Com 3c509b, not working under RH 5.2

8. cobol Discussion Group

9. 3Com ImpaqIQ ISDN modem with RH 5.2

10. Help: RH 5.2, Dual 3COM NICs

11. Installing 3com 3c509 card on Linux RH 5.2

12. Getting 3 NICS working in a rh 5.2 box

13. 3COM 3C905BTX Ethernet card