Downloading thru serial port

Post by Jonathan P. Sche » Fri, 15 Sep 1995 04:00:00

At college I have a 57.6 serial connection in my room.  I was able to download
over it last year, but this year I'm not able to do so.  When I try seyon
locks up and many times so does my whole system.  I'm using Zmodem protocol.
When I try it through Dos I get an Internal Stack Overflow Error, System Halted.
If I disable the 16550 FIFO option on my Dos term program I can download at
38.4, but I want to do it in Linux.  My internal modem was hit by lightening
this summer, but that isn't connected to my IO card in any way, besides the
motherboard.  Does anyone have any solutions to this?

        Jon Schewe

        Computer Science Major
        Michigan Tech University

Post by Justin McNu » Tue, 26 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: At college I have a 57.6 serial connection in my room.  I was able to download
: over it last year, but this year I'm not able to do so.  When I try seyon
: locks up and many times so does my whole system.  I'm using Zmodem protocol.
: When I try it through Dos I get an Internal Stack Overflow Error, System Halted.
: If I disable the 16550 FIFO option on my Dos term program I can download at
: 38.4, but I want to do it in Linux.  My internal modem was hit by lightening
: this summer, but that isn't connected to my IO card in any way, besides the
: motherboard.  Does anyone have any solutions to this?

If you haven't changed the rest of your setup, and other people are not
experiencing the same problems, I would suggest borrowing someone's I/O
card and swapping them out.  If this doesn't solve your problem, try
moving your machine to someone else's room and using their connection
(the one in your room may be bad).

If neither of these things work, your motherboard may me in trouble.
If the rest of your system works, however, I would bet that it's either
the I/O card or the modem.

I have doubts that the problem is in the software, since you get problems
under both DOS and Linux.  Are you sure you have no address or IRQ conflicts?

                                                        --S.S.

Let me know if you get this worked out.

--
A thousand pictures is worth ten lines of code.

#include <std.dsclmr>

main()
{
        while ( noOfIdiots >= 1 )