ping problem - only one ping made although -c option

ping problem - only one ping made although -c option

Post by Watz » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi !

Another strange issue on my linux box...
When i do a "ping", it always transmits only _one_ packet
and then "hangs", I'll have to CTRL-C out to stop it.

It doesn't matter at all if i specify the -c option or not...
Its very likely that i messed up something on my box, because
that problem wasn't there a few weeks ago.

(I had some problems with shared libraries, maybe thats
where to start searching ?)

Example:

Centaur:/var/named # ping localhost -c 50
PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

--> no more packets here....after a few minutes CTRL-C'ing out:

--- localhost ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.431/0.431/0.431 ms

Any suggestion whats going wrong here?

Watz

1. A pings B, B pings C, C cannot ping A

In our small network, we have several w9x clients, a w2k server and a
linux server. To date, integration of these has been going ok. However,
today, we brought up some clients that cannot ping to the linux server
(all of this by IP address), but they can ping to the w2k server, which
are physically next to each other, and connect to the same switch. There
have been no problems with communication between the linux system, w2k
system and other computers on site. The clients use dhcp on the w2k
server to get their ip addresses. The only issues that I can think of at
this time is that the problem systems are on the longest runs from the
hub, which appear to be a little over the 100m line, and the linux and
w2k units (probably) have different nics. Can anybody out there shed
some light on this situation?

Thanks,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. asm-generic magic

3. Help - can't ping one of my machines (but it can ping me).

4. Boot disk/controller mirror options

5. Problem with rexec. No stderr. S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3.

6. "ping $you -c 1" = one ping?

7. SSI in subdirectories

8. pinging localhost (was: ping problems)

9. Strange network problems - pings to host are fine, pings from host fail

10. Problem: ping works, ping -R fails

11. Setting up SLIP, Ping only works one one of the machines

12. ping localhost fails; ping 127.0.0.1 works