Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

Post by Nightstalke » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 06:42:25

I have a RedHat 7.3 fully updated linuxbox.  I had ProFTP running in
standalone mode perfectly, and I could log on from the office to the
linuxbox which is at home - no probs.

Then I had a HD problem (SMART error warning of impending HD failure)
which caused me to return the HD under warranty and replace it with a
bigger one. (40 Gb vs 20 for the original one).  The tech shop imaged my
original HD then cloned it onto the new one.  Of course, the partition
info was all wrong, but using Webmin, I was able to add the extra space
as a new partition, and all seems to work OK with this one exception.
Hence my problem:

When I try to log on to ProFTP now, all I get is an error message along
the lines of "Machine doesn't recognise a simple FTP command" plus some
other gibberish - I can't remember exactly as I'm at home at the moment,
and on the linux box.  I've re-installed ProFTP, installed the latest
upgrade (1.2.7 RC1) but the problem remains.  I've tried Googling the
error message to no avail.  I've searched every Linux book I have to no
avail - no mention of such an error message or what it means.

gftp and webmin both show that the ProFTP daemon is running OK.  The conf
file is unaltered from when it all worked before.  I've just upgraded to
the latest kernel from RHN, etc etc - but still no worky :((

I've tried to figure it out for myself, but as a newbie, I'm finally
stumped.  Could one of you gurus out there shed any light on this
problem, please?

If all fails, what is involved with a re-install of Red Hat 7.3?  Can I
just install over the top of the existing one, as in Windows, or will it
destroy all my data, programs, preferences, etc etc?  What about if RH
install wants to re-partition the newer bigger HD - what do I tell it to
do?  I suspect that somewhere deep in the bowels of the machine there
lurks a problem to do with the ports - I use a non-standard FTP port by
the way (port 12345) and I have the range of passive ports set in ProFTP
to 30000-30050, as my hardware firewall won't let me use active FTP.
This is the system that worked fine before.

All help much apopreciated - thanks :))
--

NightStalker

Post by Paul Lutu » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 07:48:09

> I have a RedHat 7.3 fully updated linuxbox.  I had ProFTP running in
> standalone mode perfectly, and I could log on from the office to the
> linuxbox which is at home - no probs.

> Then I had a HD problem (SMART error warning of impending HD failure)
> which caused me to return the HD under warranty and replace it with a
> bigger one. (40 Gb vs 20 for the original one).  The tech shop imaged my
> original HD then cloned it onto the new one.  Of course, the partition
> info was all wrong, but using Webmin, I was able to add the extra space
> as a new partition, and all seems to work OK with this one exception.
> Hence my problem:

> When I try to log on to ProFTP now, all I get is an error message along
> the lines of "Machine doesn't recognise a simple FTP command" plus some
> other gibberish - I can't remember exactly as I'm at home at the moment,
> and on the linux box.

I was going to help you, but my reply is at work and I am at home.

As soon as the specific text of your FTP error messages is available from
you, some specific help will be available from us.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

Post by Preacher » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:12:52

I am by no means a guru, and i an not a newb.  However,  without the newbs
and unexperienced people wanting to learn with our help this community dies
and/or becomes the "i'm better than you so buzz off" type of BS that is most
realms.

Why does this matter? why did i bother to post that?  simple, the comments
you made paul are the same bullshit that keeps windows and mac users for
switchign to anythign else.   Comments like that you made here make these
people feel dumb and afraid to ask questions when they get stuck, for fear
that they will get torn at by people like you.  and so they just give up and
move on.  Pull the stick from your *paul and learn some manners.

Nightstalker,

please when you get a chance post your error and logs and we will be happy
to help out.

--

Preacher X

Post by Paul Lutu » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:37:03

> I am by no means a guru, and i an not a newb.  However,  without the newbs
> and unexperienced people wanting to learn with our help this community
> dies and/or becomes the "i'm better than you so buzz off" type of BS that
> is most realms.

> Why does this matter? why did i bother to post that?

We're all wondering that also. The OP needs to proviode some information.
That information is essential to offering assistance.

Rent a clue before you post again.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

Post by Nightstalke » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:41:00

Quote:> Why does this matter? why did i bother to post that?  simple, the comments
> you made paul are the same bullshit that keeps windows and mac users for
> switchign to anythign else.   Comments like that you made here make these
> people feel dumb and afraid to ask questions when they get stuck, for fear
> that they will get torn at by people like you.  and so they just give up and
> move on.  Pull the stick from your *paul and learn some manners.

> Nightstalker,

> please when you get a chance post your error and logs and we will be happy
> to help out.

Thank you Preacher X.  I do take the point about the lack of detail in
the error message, but I figured that it might just ring a bell with one
of the gurus here.  As I can't find it at all on Google Linux  or Google
Groups, I guessed that maybe it was one of those things you either
recognize immediately or not.  But I will post the actual text of the
error message when I get to work, and see if that rings any bells.  And
thanks for being civil about it :)

Quote:> > I was going to help you, but my reply is at work and I am at home.

> > As soon as the specific text of your FTP error messages is available from
> > you, some specific help will be available from us.

> > --
> > Paul Lutus

Paul - being facetious does not become you :)  And sarcasm is the lowest
form of wit, unless you thought of it first.  I do take your point, but
as I said above, thought it may have rung a bell.  But you don't need
sarcasm to hit me over the head - a gentle hint would have done!

--

NightStalker

Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

Post by Preacher » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:00:08

Likewise, I agree, however i see no need to insult and demean him. Just ask
for the info in a polite manner rather than chide the poster.

--

Preacher X

Post by Paul Lutu » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 09:12:23

>> please when you get a chance post your error and logs and we will be
>> happy to help out.

> Thank you Preacher X.  I do take the point about the lack of detail in
> the error message, but I figured that it might just ring a bell with one
> of the gurus here.  As I can't find it at all on Google Linux  or Google
> Groups,

How did you search these resources? Did you type in "an error message along
the lines of 'Machine doesn't recognise a simple FTP command' plus some
other gibberish" ??? That will not work. What will work are the actual
error messages, which is what I asked for.

Quote:> I guessed that maybe it was one of those things you either
> recognize immediately or not.

You mean "gibberish"? On the contrary, we all recognize this on sight.

We patiently await your providing the actual, essential information.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Post by Nightstalke » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:59:06

> > Nightstalker,

> > please when you get a chance post your error and logs and we will be happy
> > to help out.

OK - this is the actual message copied from my FTP client
(BulletproofFTP) from the office, trying to log on to ProFTP on the
Linuxbox at home:

QUOTE BEGINS>

500 FTP server shut down (going down at Wed Oct  2 19:20:33 2002) --
please try again later.
Fatal Error - It appears that this server doesn't understand a basic FTP
command. ()
Attempting to reconnect - this may only be a temporary error

QUOTE ENDS

Now, the bit about the server going down is interesting - I think that
refers to when I shut down the box when I received the SMART error
message about imminent HD failure.  Now the HD has been replaced with the
new 40 Gb drive, and the shutdown message is persisting, obviously
carried over via the Ghost cloning that the tech shop did from my 20 Gb
HD to the new 40 Gb drive.  Perhaps this is where the problem lies - but
how do I fix it?  I've shut down and re-booted several times since
getting the new HD, so something somewhere is remembering this message
and not erasing it when I really shut down the next time.

The next bit of the error message is what puzzles me - why doesn't the
server understand a basic FTP command?  Surely, if it thinks it's shut
down, wouldn't I just get a timeout, or a 'server not found' error?  But,
ProFTP shows up on the Linuxbox as running, and netstat shows it to be
listening on port 12345 as it's supposed to be...

Any clues much appreciated thanks.  And how to get rid of that impending
shut-down message too would be good if poss... ;)

--

NightStalker

Post by Tauno Voipi » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:26:09

> > > Nightstalker,

> > > please when you get a chance post your error and logs and we will be
happy
> > > to help out.

> OK - this is the actual message copied from my FTP client
> (BulletproofFTP) from the office, trying to log on to ProFTP on the
> Linuxbox at home:

> QUOTE BEGINS>

> 500 FTP server shut down (going down at Wed Oct  2 19:20:33 2002) --
> please try again later.
> Fatal Error - It appears that this server doesn't understand a basic FTP
> command. ()
> Attempting to reconnect - this may only be a temporary error

> QUOTE ENDS

> Now, the bit about the server going down is interesting - I think that
> refers to when I shut down the box when I received the SMART error
> message about imminent HD failure.  Now the HD has been replaced with the
> new 40 Gb drive, and the shutdown message is persisting, obviously
> carried over via the Ghost cloning that the tech shop did from my 20 Gb
> HD to the new 40 Gb drive.  Perhaps this is where the problem lies - but
> how do I fix it?  I've shut down and re-booted several times since
> getting the new HD, so something somewhere is remembering this message
> and not erasing it when I really shut down the next time.

> The next bit of the error message is what puzzles me - why doesn't the
> server understand a basic FTP command?  Surely, if it thinks it's shut
> down, wouldn't I just get a timeout, or a 'server not found' error?  But,
> ProFTP shows up on the Linuxbox as running, and netstat shows it to be
> listening on port 12345 as it's supposed to be...

> Any clues much appreciated thanks.  And how to get rid of that impending
> shut-down message too would be good if poss... ;)

Have you checked the server logs? Look at /var/log/messages and
/var/log/daemon.log first. There may also be an own log file for the FTP
thingie in /var/log.

HTH

Tauno Voipio

PS.

I think that much of Paul's irritation comes from those questions that show
that the person asking did not read any freely available documentation and
instructions first. At least the HOWTO's should be scanned before posing the
eternal questions again and again.

Here, the networking HOWTO's and Linux Administrator Guide should be read
(and understood).

TV

Help please - strange FTP problem - any help much appreciated :)

Post by Preacher » Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:01:57

One thing you may want to try is connecting to the server locally on your
home system using the commands

[~/]$ ftp
ftp> open 127.0.0.1
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
220 SurgeFTP (Version 2.0a)
Name (127.0.0.1): <username>
331 Password required for <username>.
Password:
230-  Alias                Real path                      Access
230-  /                    /home/userpages/<username>       read+write
230-  /pweb                /home/userpages                read+write
230 User logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp>

You should get soemthign like that.  if you get the same error as logging in
from remote then i would have to think the daemon for your server is not
and see what they have to reveal.

--

Preacher X

Post by Nightstalke » Mon, 21 Oct 2002 05:56:06

> One thing you may want to try is connecting to the server locally on your
> home system using the commands

OK - Preacher, and Tauno - many thanks for your help and suggestions.  I
did as you suggested, and the logs gave me the clue - there was a file in
/etc called shutdown, and this was the message that came up initially.
Presumably, if ProFTP sees this file, it then refuses further connections,
and this is what was happening via libwrap.  I deleted the /etc/shutdown file, and now
it all appears to be working fine.

Thank you for the help - it is much appreciated.  There is obviously a
marked difference in attitudes among the regulars and gurus on here, and
yours is the attitude that really keeps Usenet going, whereas the 'other'
attitude that comes across as supercilious sneering sarcasm (how's that
for alliteration?) just alienates people, especially newbies like myself.

Thank you both again :)))
--

=============
Nightstalker

1. HELP HELP HELP...pretty please :)

Hi all,

1)    Okay, my question is that I have a 4.3 gig Ultra DMA Hard drive.  Its
been partitioned into 3...(c: 2.0 gigs), (d: 1.3 gigs), and (e: 1 gig) okay
well, win95 is on c: and e: and on c: it takes up 659 megs...well I know
that Red Hat Linux 5.0 needs to be installed in the first 1024
cylinders...but I want to install RHL 5 on my d: drive (Im going to reformat
it for the Linux file system) however, can anyone tell me if lilo will work
with it setup like this?

2) I have a Nitro 3D, its a virge/gx pci card...ive heard that metro x(i
believe) doesnt work with this card..is that true? Does anyone have a
virge/gx that works with a X window?

3)Before I install RHL 5 do i need to download drivers for my cards (eg
soundblaster64, Nitro 3d, Network card, modem 56k Motorola PnP)?

Thank you in advance!

Emissary

http://vdpower.gamesmania.com/demoreviews

2. obsessed with X-problems

3. strange yaboot problem. help appreciated

4. Linux and i486

5. Linux Installation Help!! Please Help :)

6. How to know if term is "active"?

7. Need networking help. Please help me :)

8. The "w" command, a question

9. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

10. Redhat 5.0 Please please help :) How do i turn relaying protection off ?

11. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

12. strange behavior with ServerRoot directive - any help appreciated!

13. Yet another PPP Setup problem :) (please help!)