capture ATM cells?

Post by Scott Pog » Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
        I am currently working on a project that requires that I be able to
take ATM cells directly off an ATM interface (OC-3) and store them to disk.
I have "/dev/fa0" as the device file for the interface and that's really about
it.  I haven't done much of this before.  From what I understand, I have to
open the device, read from it, and write what I read to a file.  However, I am
having problems with this since the system seems to expect IP and there is no
IP, it's straight ATM cells.

Any suggestions?  I'd like to be able to port this to Solaris 2.5.1 too, but
that uses TLI and I want to make sure I get this part working first.

-Scott

capture ATM cells?

Post by Scott Pog » Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Thanks for the responses.  I'd like to clarify the problem a bit here.  I
think my problem would be solved if I had a utility that was the function
equivalent to etherfind.  At the basic level, etherfind copyies packets off
the network that fit given characteristics and reports about them.  It must
be able to read from the network interface somehow.  If I could see a similar
program, or better the source code for etherfind, it might help with a
solution.
        Someone set me straight about the TLI thing.  I need to get an up to
date reference for Solaris.  Any suggestions?

Do you think something such as the following would work?

[ I'll skip the include files]

#define IO_DEVICE "/dev/fa0"

main()  {

int fp;

fp = t_open(IO_DEVICE, O_RDONLY, .... );

)

Then I would add the correct t_read() function.

Will this sort of thing work?  I know I'm asking Solaris questions in a linux
newsgroup, but I figure there are a lot of device driver type people here
thant can answer these types of questions.

Thanks.
-Scott

>Hi,
>        I am currently working on a project that requires that I be able to
>take ATM cells directly off an ATM interface (OC-3) and store them to disk.
>I have "/dev/fa0" as the device file for the interface and that's really about
>it.  I haven't done much of this before.  From what I understand, I have to
>open the device, read from it, and write what I read to a file.  However, I am
>having problems with this since the system seems to expect IP and there is no
>IP, it's straight ATM cells.

>Any suggestions?  I'd like to be able to port this to Solaris 2.5.1 too, but
>that uses TLI and I want to make sure I get this part working first.

>-Scott

1. ADSL PCI internal card and atm OAM cells

I'm trying to put two internal ADSL PCI card at work:
- BeWan ADSL PCI ST
- Pulsar ADSL PCI

None of this card work, i just receive OAM Loopback
cells from the provider with the first two bytes
of the payload "0x18" "0x01".

Is it possible that the provider is not permitting
me to authenticate if first those OAM requests
are answered?

Where can i find info about these "OAM Loopback" cells
and a way to answer them?

Thank you,
        Antonio

--
Saluti, Antonio Gallo - AGX per gli amici di Usenet
(o_         http://www.antoniogallo.it/   Sito personale

2. Linux 1.3.81 CD-ROM Driver problem

3. only show the ATM drivers submenu if "ATM drivers" is selected

4. Sample driver fails to attach

5. [ATM] make atm (and clip) modular + try_module_get()

6. Large binary after compile under FreeBSD

7. [ATM] allow atm to be loaded as a module

8. saving or printing scroll-back text on virtaul console

9. [ATM] cli() for net/atm/lec.c

10. [ATM] ia64 doesn't know about atm drivers on 2.4 kernels

11. [ATM] assorted atm patches

12. mpeg capture from video capture card

13. Capture mpeg from video capture card.