NT 4.0 RAS and Non-MS/Linux clients

Post by Scott Brow » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have NT Server 4.0 set up with RAS and 4 modems on a Digiboard.  All
works well with any and all Microsoft clients, with virtually zero
configuration issues.  But, when I attempt to contact the same server
with any of my Linux clients, it fails.

Here is the scenario:
    The Linux client dials into the machine, and goes through the modem
handshake process.  At this stage, I would believe that the server
should respond with a username prompt, as all other dial-up services
that I use do, but it does not.  No messages whatsoever.  I try the
obligatory carriage return, and then a second, and a third, and so on.
No feedback whatsoever.  I enter username.  I enter password.  I enter
ppp.Nada, zip, zero, nuttin. After about a minute, the thing times out
and we go off-line.

I have set the server to acept all authentication types, and flipped
every other switch, and modified every registry setting that I can
identify, but to no avail.  Microsoft states that this should work, but
it is testing my resolve and my technical abilities.  Does anyone have
the RAS magic pill?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Responses by e-mail please.

sb

NT 4.0 RAS and Non-MS/Linux clients

Post by Richard A. McBrid » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Does your Linux kernel have MS Chap and LCP extensions compiled in?

I have the same configuration, exactly, and I have made it work just fine on
more than one occasion.

Richard A. McBride, MCSE
ClubWin, ClubIE

Post by root » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >I have NT Server 4.0 set up with RAS and 4 modems on a Digiboard.  All
> >works well with any and all Microsoft clients, with virtually zero
> >configuration issues.  But, when I attempt to contact the same server
> >with any of my Linux clients, it fails.

> >Here is the scenario:
> >    The Linux client dials into the machine, and goes through the modem
> >handshake process.  At this stage, I would believe that the server
> >should respond with a username prompt, as all other dial-up services
> >that I use do, but it does not.  No messages whatsoever.  I try the
> >obligatory carriage return, and then a second, and a third, and so on.
> >No feedback whatsoever.  I enter username.  I enter password.  I enter
> >ppp.Nada, zip, zero, nuttin. After about a minute, the thing times out
> >and we go off-line.

> >I have set the server to acept all authentication types, and flipped
> >every other switch, and modified every registry setting that I can
> >identify, but to no avail.  Microsoft states that this should work, but
> >it is testing my resolve and my technical abilities.  Does anyone have
> >the RAS magic pill?

> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Responses by e-mail please.

What you are talking about prompting usename and passwd is script login,
that will not work with PAP or CHAP, the best way is to setup your linux
client to dialin with PAP, see how it goes.  also read ISP-xxx howto.

1. PPP/CHAP/PAP to an NT server from non-MS client (HELP!)

Please reply directly, as I don't regularly read this group.

I am trying to help a friend get his FreeBSD box to authenticate to
an NT server that is his ISP.  I've heard that Linux can do this.
The NT server is sending me a CHAP algorithm field that is not in
RFC1334, and it drops me if I send a ConfRej for CHAP (instead of
going to PAP).

Any and all help you can offer would be appreciated.  He'd like to do
this for a conference Nov 1-3.  We've been fighting it for weeks now.

Please reply directly, as I don't regularly read this group.
--

                 John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services

2. Scanning with sane for Umax

3. Help needed connecting to Non-MS-CHAP NT RAS with PPP - E=691

4. funny

5. FreeBSD as Windows NT 4.0 ras client

6. Raw graphics I/O in Linux

7. redhat 6.0 client to NT 4.0 MS Proxy

8. KDE won't start now I've installed kernel patch 2.2.9

9. Help me, please How to dialup from linux to windows NT 4.0 RAS server

10. Linux PPP connection on Win NT 4.0 RAS Server with callback problems

11. MS$ NT > Linux Firewall > Internet > MS$ NT PPTP Server

12. Linux as a PPP client nolonger work after NT RAS upgrade

13. How to turn Windows NT RAS Server for Linux dialup client (PPP)?