NFS problem: NFS client hosed by windows machine?

NFS problem: NFS client hosed by windows machine?

Post by Greg Travi » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 06:44:53

I have a problem with NFS on a small network.  I have a linux server
(RedHat 6.2) and two clients -- one linux (RedHat 6.2) and one windows
98.  I'm mounting home directories and more from the linux server to
the linux client.  I am also running samba on the linux server.

I've gotten this problem with kernels 2.2.14, 2.2.24, and 2.4.20.

If the windows machine is off, then everything works perfectly.  As
soon as the windows machine boots up and gets to the login prompt, any
programs on my linux client that are using the mounted directories
start to hang (between 2 and 20 seconds at a time).  The problem goes
away as soon as the windows machine shuts off.

In /var/log/messages, I get messages like this:

Mar 13 11:55:21 localhost kernel: nfs: server jumpany not responding,
  still trying
Mar 13 11:55:21 localhost kernel: nfs: server jumpany OK

and like this:

Mar 13 10:49:25 localhost kernel: nfs: task 28963 can't get a request slot
Mar 13 10:49:25 localhost kernel: nfs: task 28964 can't get a request slot
Mar 13 10:49:25 localhost kernel: nfs: task 28965 can't get a request slot

This problem occurs even if the windows machine is not being used.

I haven't found any mention of this problem on the net, and the FAQs
don't seem to mention it.  I realize it might just be a tuning
problem, but it's so clearly tied to the presence of the Windows
machine on the net that it seems like it might be something else.

I'm not even sure where to start looking for the cause of this.  If
it's some kind of network congestion, how do I find out what kind of
traffic, and how much?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Greg Travis

Post by Martin Kroeke » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:24:41

> If the windows machine is off, then everything works perfectly.  As
> soon as the windows machine boots up and gets to the login prompt, any
> programs on my linux client that are using the mounted directories
> start to hang (between 2 and 20 seconds at a time).  The problem goes
> away as soon as the windows machine shuts off.

Bad cabling, bad hub, bad network card ? You could try a network
sniffer such as ethereal to see if the windows box is flooding
the network with something, or using somebody else's IP address.

HTH,
Martin
--

                      Precision Powered by Penguins

Post by Greg Travi » Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:15:34

> Bad cabling, bad hub, bad network card ? You could try a network
> sniffer such as ethereal to see if the windows box is flooding
> the network with something, or using somebody else's IP address.

Thanks -- I'll try that.

Greg

1. Problem NFS client: (NFS)lockdsvc: Connection refused

Hi all,

I am stuck with a weird problem and I am hoping for some expert
advice. I have checked old postings, howtos and SuSE support database
to no avail.

We run a SuSE 6.3 machine serving 2 Linux NFS clients and 3 Win (2 98,
1 NT) Samba clients. Setup is done according to NFS howto and yast
(the SuSE setup tool).

The problem is that one of the Linux clients (SuSE 6.4) has
occasionally problems connecting to the NFS server. During boot-up,
it displays the following error message:

Importing Network File System (NFS)lockdsvc: Connection refused

The server /var/log/messages records:

mountd[123] /home/3W_data has been mounted by 192.168.100.105
(the Linux client)

However, client does not have access to the directory. At the same
time, other client accesses same directory without problems.

So far, the problem has gone away after one or several reboots but it
makes life a little bit difficult. Any ideas?

Thanks
Michael

2. linux destroying my computer??

3. problem with LINUX (NFS server) and Solaris 2.7 (intel ) NFS client.

4. Multiple route?

5. NFS Problems... "Unknown NFS client"

6. Night freezes of computer (2.4.2)

7. FC/2 NFS Client problem with Linux NFS Server

8. system freezes with rtl8139

9. Wierd AIX/NFS client, Sun/NFS server problem

10. Awful NFS client perf. w/AIX NFS server

11. NFS backup auto mount on client when NFS server fail...!

12. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio

13. Tracing NFS Clients on the NFS Server ?