linux router: online game slower?

Post by Oli D » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi
I plan to set up a linux router for my win2k client (for testing purpose).
I'm also often * online. Low ping is important. Should I expect a
higher ping because of the routing through the linux box with a 100Mbit
Network on a single ISDN ligne?

Thanks for answering

Olivier

linux router: online game slower?

Post by Robert Marshal » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

The 100Mb NIC will not make any difference. The bottleneck (at least on
your side of the phone line) will be ISDN. If your Linux box is a 486-66
with 16M or better, and you do not run apps on it (esp. X Windows), you
can expect excellent performance as a firewall/router. It *will* be
slower than if the ISDN was connected directly to the * pc, but
only by a millisecond (probably a lot less). Be sure to use ipchains
intelligently, though, so that the list of rules that must be checked
for each packet is short.

You should be aware than some games perform a "ping" function using a
proprietary mechanism that can get confused by an IP Masq firewall. This
frequently takes the form of a fast, responsive connection that appears
as "failed" or "unreachable" to other players.  Do not be discouraged,
as this usually makes no difference to playability.

Depending on your location, cable modem service is usually a *lot*
faster than ISDN, sometimes for less money. I typically get about 2Mbps
downloads for $40/month flat rate.

> Hi
> I plan to set up a linux router for my win2k client (for testing purpose).
> I'm also often * online. Low ping is important. Should I expect a
> higher ping because of the routing through the linux box with a 100Mbit
> Network on a single ISDN ligne?

> Thanks for answering

> Olivier

linux router: online game slower?

Post by Oli D » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> only by a millisecond (probably a lot less). Be sure to use ipchains

okay, I understand

Quote:> Depending on your location, cable modem service is usually a *lot*
> faster than ISDN, sometimes for less money. I typically get about 2Mbps
> downloads for $40/month flat rate.

hehe, unfortunatly not. I leave in Switzerland. We have cable, but not in my
area:
prices are high, speed very low, (around 20 kbyte/s if it's coming good).
DSL for private is comming this year, proposing a max. of 512 kbit/s in
download.

Olivier

1. linksys router & online games

I am thinking about purchasing a Linksys Router for my W2k Machine and
Linux machine. Currently my linux machine acts as a router for my W2K
machine. But this prevents the W2K machine from playing a lot of
online games.

If I purchased the Linksys router for my W2k machine and Linux box,
would I be able to play online games? Or is it still the same problem?

--
Steve Connet            Remove USENET to reply via email

2. How to send fax from linux box? I have a m

3. Will Linux firewall server interfere with online gaming?

4. F and other keys

5. Linux to be the backbone for Online Video gaming???

6. SS20 quad eth question

7. Online X-Boulderdash game

8. upgrading base components.

9. Real-Time On-Line Multi-Platform Role-Playing Adventure Game - Concept

10. Zine: 32 Bits Online -- GAMES

11. IP Masquerade and Online Games: HELP!

12. Trouble playing online game from a NAT:ed comp

13. Zine: 32 Bits Online -- GAMES