problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

Post by Mark Cha » Sat, 06 Mar 2004 02:07:35

This is my first thing install RH on a laptop.
I installed Fedora on my Thinkpad 240.
During the initial install, Fedora did not see my PC Card even with
the drivers that I got from the CD (drvnet.img)

After the installing, I tried to install pcmcia-cs package but none of
the drivers would install because the kernel was define with
CONFIG_PCMCIA.
And from reading the forums, it seems that kernel 2.4 should have all
the support for 575C.

But it see won't see my card.

removing the card, I see
cs: cb_free(bus 0)

inserting the card, I see
cs: cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
PCI: failed to allocate resource 0 (14000000-10bfffff) for 00:00.0
cs: cb_free (bus 0)
socket 0: cardbus hotplug device
cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
PCI : failed to allocate resource 0 *same as above
pci.agent: no modules for PCI slot 00:00.0
pci.agent: no modules for PCI slot 00:00.0

so do I have a PCI chipset problem or pcmcia problem, or just a
configuration problem.

TIA
Mark

problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

Post by Mario Giammarc » Sat, 06 Mar 2004 03:03:33

Il Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:07:35 -0800, Mark Chang ha scritto:

Quote:

> But it see won't see my card.

> removing the card, I see
> cs: cb_free(bus 0)

Please go in pcmcia-cs.sf.net forums where you will find more info.

problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

Post by Rohan Beckle » Sat, 06 Mar 2004 08:42:28

Mark --

The 2.4.x series PCMCIA support does not appear to be all that great.  If
you want full-on PCMCIA support for a wide array of products, the best
course of action is:

1.  Download a "fresh" kernel from ftp.kernel.org OR use your existing
kernel sources - either way do a recompile, and make sure you do NOT
include support for PCMCIA.

(To shortcut this, if Fedora includes a pre-compiled kernel WITHOUT PCMCIA
support, use that instead.)

2.  Download the PCMCIA Card Services package from
pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net.  Compile and install this, then either reboot
your machine or do this:

        /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop
        /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
        /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

I have the same network card that you do - the 3Com 3CXFE575CT (yours might
be the 3CCFE575CT), so I know that the above procedures work.  It is always
best to use "fresh" kernel sources, so if you are comfortable doing this,
it is the preferrable path.

Best regards,

        Rohan Beckles

--
ABit VP6

1GB Crucial SDRAM
Seagate Barracuda 20.4GB
3D Hercules Prophet II GTS Pro 64MB
NetGear FA310TX
Linux kernel 2.4.23

problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

Post by Fred » Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:51:57

Quote:> This is my first thing install RH on a laptop.
> I installed Fedora on my Thinkpad 240.
> During the initial install, Fedora did not see my PC Card even with
> the drivers that I got from the CD (drvnet.img)

> After the installing, I tried to install pcmcia-cs package but none of
> the drivers would install because the kernel was define with
> CONFIG_PCMCIA.
> And from reading the forums, it seems that kernel 2.4 should have all
> the support for 575C.

> But it see won't see my card.

> removing the card, I see
> cs: cb_free(bus 0)

> inserting the card, I see
> cs: cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
> PCI: failed to allocate resource 0 (14000000-10bfffff) for 00:00.0
> cs: cb_free (bus 0)
> socket 0: cardbus hotplug device
> cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192

vendor 8086 is intel. is that card an intel chipset ?

or do u have a problem with pcmcia chip ?

or have u failed to allocate resources to the network card ?

Post by Fred » Sat, 06 Mar 2004 17:14:57

Quote:> This is my first thing install RH on a laptop.
> I installed Fedora on my Thinkpad 240.
> During the initial install, Fedora did not see my PC Card even with
> the drivers that I got from the CD (drvnet.img)

> After the installing, I tried to install pcmcia-cs package but none of
> the drivers would install because the kernel was define with
> CONFIG_PCMCIA.
> And from reading the forums, it seems that kernel 2.4 should have all
> the support for 575C.

> But it see won't see my card.

> removing the card, I see
> cs: cb_free(bus 0)

> inserting the card, I see
> cs: cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
> PCI: failed to allocate resource 0 (14000000-10bfffff) for 00:00.0
> cs: cb_free (bus 0)
> socket 0: cardbus hotplug device
> cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
> PCI : failed to allocate resource 0 *same as above
> pci.agent: no modules for PCI slot 00:00.0
> pci.agent: no modules for PCI slot 00:00.0

> so do I have a PCI chipset problem or pcmcia problem, or just a
> configuration problem.

probably just have to assign memory address space  to the card.

cat /proc/meminfo gives u a map,
find a large enough block of unused addresses and give it to card...

Quote:

> TIA
> Mark

problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

Post by dhi.. » Sat, 06 Mar 2004 18:35:51

Quote:> removing the card, I see
> cs: cb_free(bus 0)

The Thinkpad 240 has a BIOS bug; it configures the CardBus bridges in
a way that is broken, but the Linux kernel isn't smart enough to
recognize the breakage.

Boot with a kernel "pci=assign-busses" parameter and you should be
fine.

-- Dave

Post by Mark Cha » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 01:48:11

> > removing the card, I see
> > cs: cb_free(bus 0)

> The Thinkpad 240 has a BIOS bug; it configures the CardBus bridges in
> a way that is broken, but the Linux kernel isn't smart enough to
> recognize the breakage.

> Boot with a kernel "pci=assign-busses" parameter and you should be
> fine.

> -- Dave

Dave,
THANKS! That got the PCI bus working right and under 'cardctl info'
the 3com is finally seen.  However, I don't have the right drivers and
compiling 'pcmcia-cs-3.2.7' does not give me a working '3c575_cb.o'.
insmod 3c575_cb.o under kernel 2.4.22 gives me
unresolved symbols : netif_mark_down, unregister_driver,
netif_mark_up, tx_timeout_check and register_driver.
I wonder if I'm missing a define or those functions are not supported
in 2.4.22 anymore?

Mark

Post by Mark Cha » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 03:44:13

> This is my first thing install RH on a laptop.
> I installed Fedora on my Thinkpad 240.
> During the initial install, Fedora did not see my PC Card even with
> the drivers that I got from the CD (drvnet.img)

> After the installing, I tried to install pcmcia-cs package but none of
> the drivers would install because the kernel was define with
> CONFIG_PCMCIA.
> And from reading the forums, it seems that kernel 2.4 should have all
> the support for 575C.

> But it see won't see my card.

> removing the card, I see
> cs: cb_free(bus 0)

> inserting the card, I see
> cs: cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
> PCI: failed to allocate resource 0 (14000000-10bfffff) for 00:00.0
> cs: cb_free (bus 0)
> socket 0: cardbus hotplug device
> cb_alloc(bus 0): vendor 0x8086, device 0x7192
> PCI : failed to allocate resource 0 *same as above
> pci.agent: no modules for PCI slot 00:00.0
> pci.agent: no modules for PCI slot 00:00.0

> so do I have a PCI chipset problem or pcmcia problem, or just a
> configuration problem.

> TIA
> Mark

OK - I gotten further.  I compiled 3c59x.o and pci-scan.o.
Insmod pci-scan and 3c59x
ifconfig -a now shows eth0 at IRQ11 base 0x4000
and the 10/100 link led is on.
So far so good,
but ....
during service network restart
when it tried to bring up eth0:
it errors with
"Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported"

So the 3c59x.o driver must not have been compiled correctly??

I feel like I'm getting closer...

Post by Mark Cha » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 10:27:42

> OK - I gotten further.  I compiled 3c59x.o and pci-scan.o.
> Insmod pci-scan and 3c59x
> ifconfig -a now shows eth0 at IRQ11 base 0x4000
> and the 10/100 link led is on.
> So far so good,
> but ....
> during service network restart
> when it tried to bring up eth0:
> it errors with
> "Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported"

> So the 3c59x.o driver must not have been compiled correctly??

> I feel like I'm getting closer...

Well, that didn't work - so I added the "pci=assign-busses" to my
linux boot disk and did the installation again.
This time, RH setup saw my NIC.
But after installation everything, the PCI bus is down again?
Any ideas why the PCI bus is flaky?
How can I restart the PCI support once booted.  I think it might be a
lantecy problem.
TIA

problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

Post by dhi.. » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:35:42

Quote:> THANKS! That got the PCI bus working right and under 'cardctl info'
> the 3com is finally seen.  However, I don't have the right drivers and
> compiling 'pcmcia-cs-3.2.7' does not give me a working '3c575_cb.o'.

The correct driver for your kernel is 3c59x and you've already got
it.  You should not try to install the pcmcia-cs drivers.

-- Dave

problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

Post by dhi.. » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:38:16

Quote:> OK - I gotten further.  I compiled 3c59x.o and pci-scan.o.

Err, Fedora already provides a 3c59x driver.  You obtained this driver
from Donald Becker's site?

Quote:> Insmod pci-scan and 3c59x
> ifconfig -a now shows eth0 at IRQ11 base 0x4000
> and the 10/100 link led is on.
> So far so good,
> but ....
> during service network restart
> when it tried to bring up eth0:
> it errors with
> "Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported"

> So the 3c59x.o driver must not have been compiled correctly??

You compiled it fine.  But, you should not have compiled it at all.
This driver does not have all the functionality of the kernel 3c59x
driver, and it is * the Fedora network configuration scripts.

-- Dave

problems installing PC Card 3COM FE575C

Post by dhi.. » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:40:37

Quote:> Well, that didn't work - so I added the "pci=assign-busses" to my
> linux boot disk and did the installation again.
> This time, RH setup saw my NIC.
> But after installation everything, the PCI bus is down again?

I don't know what this means.  A PCI bus cannot be "down" or "up".

You should say exactly what happens when you insert the card.  That
means showing system log messages.

-- Dave

Post by Mark Cha » Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:26:00

> > OK - I gotten further.  I compiled 3c59x.o and pci-scan.o.

> Err, Fedora already provides a 3c59x driver.  You obtained this driver
> from Donald Becker's site?

> > Insmod pci-scan and 3c59x
> > ifconfig -a now shows eth0 at IRQ11 base 0x4000
> > and the 10/100 link led is on.
> > So far so good,
> > but ....
> > during service network restart
> > when it tried to bring up eth0:
> > it errors with
> > "Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported"

> > So the 3c59x.o driver must not have been compiled correctly??

> You compiled it fine.  But, you should not have compiled it at all.
> This driver does not have all the functionality of the kernel 3c59x
> driver, and it is * the Fedora network configuration scripts.

> -- Dave

I guess you are right again - Dave.
I put the "pci=assign-busses" during the boot of kernel for
RH install.  And loading RH's netdrv.img and pcmcia.img loads the
correct drivers for my NIC.
After installing Linux again, my NIC is up and running.
Thanks for all your help.

Post by Mark Cha » Sat, 13 Mar 2004 07:56:05

> > > OK - I gotten further.  I compiled 3c59x.o and pci-scan.o.

> > Err, Fedora already provides a 3c59x driver.  You obtained this driver
> > from Donald Becker's site?

> > > Insmod pci-scan and 3c59x
> > > ifconfig -a now shows eth0 at IRQ11 base 0x4000
> > > and the 10/100 link led is on.
> > > So far so good,
> > > but ....
> > > during service network restart
> > > when it tried to bring up eth0:
> > > it errors with
> > > "Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported"

> > > So the 3c59x.o driver must not have been compiled correctly??

> > You compiled it fine.  But, you should not have compiled it at all.
> > This driver does not have all the functionality of the kernel 3c59x
> > driver, and it is * the Fedora network configuration scripts.

> > -- Dave

> I guess you are right again - Dave.
> I put the "pci=assign-busses" during the boot of kernel for
> RH install.  And loading RH's netdrv.img and pcmcia.img loads the
> correct drivers for my NIC.
> After installing Linux again, my NIC is up and running.
> Thanks for all your help.

Even with the "pci=assign-busses" in my boot line.
The network still does not come up on every boot (1 out of 3 boots)
I have to manually do a "service pcmcia restart" followed by "service
network restart" to get the network running.
Restarting the network by itself doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Mark