PPP problem on dialin server

Post by Jim Rideno » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

   I am using RH 5.0 as a dial in server.  I call it from a Win 95
laptop.  I have the Win machine set to open a terminal window after
making a connection.  It does make the connection and open the window
alright.  I get a login prompt and log in alright.  But then I type
pppd  at the prompt to activate that protocol and the server sends
back undecipherable jibberish.  Every few seconds it sends more
jibberish.  Finally I have to close the window to stop it.
   Any ideas?

PS   PPP is loaded on the server.       I can see it in the startup
log.

--------
To send me email remove "REMOVETHIS" from my address.

Post by Bill Unr » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

]   I am using RH 5.0 as a dial in server.  I call it from a Win 95
]laptop.  I have the Win machine set to open a terminal window after
]making a connection.  It does make the connection and open the window
]alright.  I get a login prompt and log in alright.  But then I type
]pppd  at the prompt to activate that protocol and the server sends
]back undecipherable jibberish.  Every few seconds it sends more
]jibberish.  Finally I have to close the window to stop it.
]   Any ideas?

Read your windows manual as to how to set up a ppp connection. You do
not do it by logging on in a terminal window. HOw you do it I do not
know, as I do not run windows. (The redhat machine is acting as an ISP
which you have set up as a script login server)

PPP problem on dialin server

Post by Tom Basc » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    I am using RH 5.0 as a dial in server.  I call it from a Win 95
> laptop.  I have the Win machine set to open a terminal window after
> making a connection.  It does make the connection and open the window
> alright.  I get a login prompt and log in alright.  But then I type
> pppd  at the prompt to activate that protocol and the server sends
> back undecipherable jibberish.  Every few seconds it sends more
> jibberish.  Finally I have to close the window to stop it.
>    Any ideas?

> PS   PPP is loaded on the server.          I can see it in the startup
> log.

Don't log in manually with the terminal window.  That's handy to watch
things to get a clue in case it isn't working sometimes but it isn't a
good way to start the ppp connection.  Let windows do it -- just hit f7
once the prompt appears (you should have given your user name and
password when you gave it the phone number that apparently works...)

PPP problem on dialin server

Post by Jim Rideno » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

   I am using uugetty.  It doesn't start ppp automatically; you must
do it manually.  According to two writeups I read making Windows open
a terminal window after connecting is the proper way to do it.

--------

To send me email remove "REMOVETHIS" from my address.

PPP problem on dialin server

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>   I am using uugetty.  It doesn't start ppp automatically; you must
>do it manually.  According to two writeups I read making Windows open
>a terminal window after connecting is the proper way to do it.

Don;t use uugetty. Use mgetty. (I believe even teh authors of uugetty
say this). mgetty is designed for answering modems.
Use the AutoPPP option to mgetty (login.config) and set up PAP
authentication.

PPP problem on dialin server

Post by Jim Rideno » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

   Thanks, will try mgetty.
   Something's odd though.  I have a recent how-to about setting up
mgetty and even it says you can use the open-a-window-on-the-client-
and-type-pppd approach.  Later on in the how-to it describes setting
up an option for autodetection of ppp and pap as a second possible
approach.  Apparently the manual technique works on their system.  I
can't see why not mine.

--------
To send me email remove "REMOVETHIS" from my address.

PPP problem on dialin server

Post by Bill Unr » Sun, 12 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>   Something's odd though.  I have a recent how-to about setting up
>mgetty and even it says you can use the open-a-window-on-the-client-
>and-type-pppd approach.  Later on in the how-to it describes setting
>up an option for autodetection of ppp and pap as a second possible
>approach.  Apparently the manual technique works on their system.  I
>can't see why not mine.

Do not know what your remote system is that is dialing in. Windows
systems are designed to use pap and immediate ppp connection-- scripting
them is a pain. On Linux machine you can log in using minicom say, adn
then when the garbage starts to appear, quit minicom without
dissconnecting and run pppd to the serial port. That is however a pain
to use. Or you can set up a chat script which dials in logs on and then
starts ppp on the remote system, and exits to ppp.

Post by Yidao Ca » Tue, 14 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>    Thanks, will try mgetty.
>    Something's odd though.  I have a recent how-to about setting up
> mgetty and even it says you can use the open-a-window-on-the-client-
> and-type-pppd approach.  Later on in the how-to it describes setting
> up an option for autodetection of ppp and pap as a second possible
> approach.  Apparently the manual technique works on their system.  I
> can't see why not mine.

It works for me too (I mean, open a login window first).  After you log in and
start pppd, you see those garbage, then you should hit F3 or F7, the window
will be closed and ppp connection established.

cai

1. MST PPP for SCO Dialin PPP Server and Windows 95

Hi Friends,

I dialin to the MST PPP for SCO Dailin PPP Server from the Windows 95, I
saw the following problem.

1. Windows 95 can dialin, can give login name and password.

2. Windows 95 can see PPP negotiation characters. And then press F7.

3. "Verifying User Name and Password" appears on the Windows 95 screen and
cutoff the telephone line.

I analysing the log files so many days. I found the following.

1. The MST PPP for SCO dialin PPP server and Windows 95 negotiated the call
back negotiation.

2. I think, the callback on and the MST PPP is cutoff the line for callback
from MST PPP for SCO.

I looking for the MST PPP for SCO user guide and SCO web site, I did not
see the callback disable for the MST PPP for SCO PPP dialin server side.

If someone know, how to disable the callback negotiation function in MST
PPP for SCO, please e-mail to help me. I have very big problem in MST PPP
dial in PPP server and windows 95.

Please !! Help me .......

Aung Myint Oo
Perfect Innovation (S) Pte Ltd
Singapore

2. Lookup for activation key

3. slip/ppp dialin server with dhcp server

4. Set com port 7E1 on unix

5. dialin server connect OK but can't mail,ftp...to this server via ppp

6. Linux on Toshiba Libertto 50ct

7. PPP dialin server problem

8. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

9. PPP Dialin Server Authentication problems.

10. problem configuring ppp for dialin server

11. setup dialin server.......problem with ppp

12. dialin server problem with ppp

13. Freebsd Howto dialin ppp server with mgetty