newbie question

Post by Haaino Beljaar » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Since yesterday my RH 5.2 machine has a connection to the internet via a
cablemodem. All works fine. But, since I know that the internet isn't
safe these days I want to place some security on my computer before I
let it run 24 hours a day. So, I have installed a simple firewall to
ensure that nobody can get to my netwerk and so. But, I also know that
RH has some security holes on its own. What should I do the make my
machine run more securerely?

Bye,
Haaino

newbie question

Post by ian » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> Since yesterday my RH 5.2 machine has a connection to the internet via a
> cablemodem. All works fine. But, since I know that the internet isn't
> safe these days I want to place some security on my computer before I
> let it run 24 hours a day. So, I have installed a simple firewall to
> ensure that nobody can get to my netwerk and so. But, I also know that
> RH has some security holes on its own. What should I do the make my
> machine run more securerely?

> Bye,
> Haaino

newbie question

Post by James Spoone » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I wrote a little shell script for IPChains (found in 2.1 and 2.2 kernels,
also 2.0 with patch).

You can edit firewall rulesets then apply them, disable the firewall,
etc.. It's designed to fit into the FFS (slackware users need not apply),
and the debian init stuff.

-----------------------------------
I mess with computers.

> > Hi,

> > Since yesterday my RH 5.2 machine has a connection to the internet via a
> > cablemodem. All works fine. But, since I know that the internet isn't
> > safe these days I want to place some security on my computer before I
> > let it run 24 hours a day. So, I have installed a simple firewall to
> > ensure that nobody can get to my netwerk and so. But, I also know that
> > RH has some security holes on its own. What should I do the make my
> > machine run more securerely?

> > Bye,
> > Haaino

newbie question

Post by howard man » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,

>Since yesterday my RH 5.2 machine has a connection to the internet via a
>cablemodem. All works fine. But, since I know that the internet isn't
>safe these days I want to place some security on my computer before I
>let it run 24 hours a day. So, I have installed a simple firewall to
>ensure that nobody can get to my netwerk and so. But, I also know that
>RH has some security holes on its own. What should I do the make my
>machine run more securerely?

>Bye,
>Haaino

Hi,

All you need may be found here:   http://rlz.ne.mediaone.net/linux

Cheers,

--
Howard Mann

http://www.xmission.com/~howardm
(a LINUX website for newbies)

newbie question

Post by ian » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I wrote a little shell script for IPChains (found in 2.1 and 2.2 kernels,
> also 2.0 with patch).

> You can edit firewall rulesets then apply them, disable the firewall,
> etc.. It's designed to fit into the FFS (slackware users need not apply),
> and the debian init stuff.

> -----------------------------------
> I mess with computers.

> > > Hi,

> > > Since yesterday my RH 5.2 machine has a connection to the internet via a
> > > cablemodem. All works fine. But, since I know that the internet isn't
> > > safe these days I want to place some security on my computer before I
> > > let it run 24 hours a day. So, I have installed a simple firewall to
> > > ensure that nobody can get to my netwerk and so. But, I also know that
> > > RH has some security holes on its own. What should I do the make my
> > > machine run more securerely?

> > > Bye,
> > > Haaino

newbie question

Post by Thin » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

run a port scan and kill all the services you do not need like telnet, ftp,
sendmail etc. if you visit www.kascha.ml.org and read notes on red hat that
will hopefully help you.

Thing

> > Hi,

> > Since yesterday my RH 5.2 machine has a connection to the internet via a
> > cablemodem. All works fine. But, since I know that the internet isn't
> > safe these days I want to place some security on my computer before I
> > let it run 24 hours a day. So, I have installed a simple firewall to
> > ensure that nobody can get to my netwerk and so. But, I also know that
> > RH has some security holes on its own. What should I do the make my
> > machine run more securerely?

> > Bye,
> > Haaino

newbie question

Post by Thin » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

how did u get the cable modem?

Thing

> > Hi,

> > Since yesterday my RH 5.2 machine has a connection to the internet via a
> > cablemodem. All works fine. But, since I know that the internet isn't
> > safe these days I want to place some security on my computer before I
> > let it run 24 hours a day. So, I have installed a simple firewall to
> > ensure that nobody can get to my netwerk and so. But, I also know that
> > RH has some security holes on its own. What should I do the make my
> > machine run more securerely?

> > Bye,
> > Haaino

newbie question

--
install a shadow password
and thing's like that... remove Anonymous FTP....

good luck

        -=[ AbLaZeD ]=-
-=[ Fatal Justice Corrected ]=-

newbie question

Post by Haaino Beljaar » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >Since yesterday my RH 5.2 machine has a connection to the internet via a
> >cablemodem. All works fine. But, since I know that the internet isn't
> >safe these days I want to place some security on my computer before I
> >let it run 24 hours a day. So, I have installed a simple firewall to
> >ensure that nobody can get to my netwerk and so. But, I also know that
> >RH has some security holes on its own. What should I do the make my
> >machine run more securerely?
> install a shadow password
> and thing's like that... remove Anonymous FTP....

Done all this. But are other thinks I should worry about? I heard that
some programs, such as sendmail have reported bug that causes security
risks. Where can I read more about this kind of topics and how to close
some holes?

Greetings from Haaino Beljaars

Home Page:      HTTP://www.phys.uu.nl/~beljaars/

newbie question

Post by Ulrich Eckhard » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > >Since yesterday my RH 5.2 machine has a connection to the internet via a
> > >cablemodem. All works fine. But, since I know that the internet isn't
> > >safe these days I want to place some security on my computer before I
> > >let it run 24 hours a day. So, I have installed a simple firewall to
> > >ensure that nobody can get to my netwerk and so. But, I also know that
> > >RH has some security holes on its own. What should I do the make my
> > >machine run more securerely?

> > install a shadow password
> > and thing's like that... remove Anonymous FTP....

> Done all this. But are other thinks I should worry about? I heard that
> some programs, such as sendmail have reported bug that causes security
> risks. Where can I read more about this kind of topics and how to close
> some holes?

Hi,

there are several security mailing lists around. I thing
redhad has it's own security mailing list. Also a common
mailing list about security issues (not only linux specific)
is bugtraq.

Just search around with your favorite search engine about this
topic and have a look on the redhat web - page

Uli
--

http://people.frankfurt.netsurf.de/uli  http://www.transcom.de
                                        Lagerstra?e 11-15 A8

newbie question

Post by Nic » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> run a port scan and kill all the services you do not need like telnet, ftp,
> sendmail etc. if you visit www.kascha.ml.org and read notes on red hat that
> will hopefully help you.

The only time I see a port scan being useful here is if you're blocking
some ports with ipfwadm/ipchains and wish to test your rulesets. If you
just want to see what's open so you know what to shut down, `netstat -av
--inet' is a good start.

Also, seek out the Security-HOWTO - it should be somewhere on
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/

Regards,
        Nic.

-- Nic B. -- email "sky" at "wibble dot net" ------
-- UN*X Programmer, The Internet Group (NZ) Ltd. --
-- #include <stddisclaimer.h> ---------------------

1. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

Sorry, I'm not a pc idiot, just completely new to linux. I lurked here
for a day or two and didn't see the answer.

Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

Someone told me it was possible, but in the 4 days of having RedHat on
my system I can't figure it out...

Sorry for the dumb question.

Nick
--

Nick Smeltzer CNE

2. ATA RAID 5 controllers

3. linux newbie--newbie question follows

4. problem installing Sparc linux

5. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

6. Linksys Cardbus EtherFast and kernel 2.2.1

7. NEWBIE.. Extremely Newbie questions.

8. NFS of Linux: text file busy errror

9. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

10. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

11. Netscape configuration question; newbie question.

12. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)

13. Newbie Question - Supported Hardware Question.