diald ppp slip

Post by Thomas Wel » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

my linux machine had a working configuration as an internet router & was
dialing out for 2 windows 95 clients.
by a stupid mistake that machine has been powered down and up a few
times without halting/rebooting.
Now it is no more possible to dialout. pinging the linux box and using
apache works fine. Minicom finds the modem and I can dial out. diald
doesnt stay resident although config. has not changed.
I already recompiled the kernel - no difference.
running the ppp login scripts on the linux-box makes it hang, only a
"kill" makes it recover.

any help  is appreciated,

Thomas

1. How to get kerneld/diald to autoload ppp/slip?

Okay, after much agony and reading-between-the-lines I managed to get
kerneld to autoload mouse.o and psaux.o (with modules-1.3.57 and
kernel 1.3.57) with the following entry in /etc/conf.modules:

alias char-major-10 psaux

Now I have similar problems with autoloading ppp and slip.
Specifically, diald 0.14 thinks there's no slip device support in the
kernel (it's right, but you know what I mean) and fails to start.  I
know another alias would solve this problem, but the modprobe manual
page seems woefully silent on the precise syntax of the 'alias'
command--'modprobe -c' reveals kerneld knows about

alias tty-ldisc-1 slip # What the heck does 'tty-ldisc' mean, anyway?
alias slip0 slip
alias slip1 slip
alias ppp0 ppp
alias ppp1 ppp

and I have added

alias sl0 slip
alias sl1 slip

with no luck.  Any pointers/tips/advice that a later kernel would
solve this problem would be appreciated.
--
http://www.columbia.edu/~ylee/      _.     icbm://40.83.-73.91/
                                __./ |

2. Delete --blocking-factor file

3. diald and SLIP/PPP ?

4. module for sony network walkman

5. PPP into linux box causes diald to bring up PPP out as well

6. Help! My sound stops working after I stop my sound apps a few times.

7. DIALD fails ppp-on fails ppp-go works HELP!!!

8. mouse button 2&3 emulation. Mandrake 8.2, 333mhz imac. HELP!

9. Repost: ppp dialin causes diald to bring up ppp dialout link

10. So far- da SLIP/Dip Faq <was slip/ppp>

11. Diald + SLIP slows down to a crawl

12. SLIP and SUSE (relating to Diald)

13. Need Help! Problem with diald/route/slip