Limiting Linux routing bandwidth

Post by Dian Swanepoe » Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I have a scenario where I have to set up a linux box routing ip from an
internal network to the net. The problem is I have a 256KB line, and i want
to limit to bandwidth of that internal network to only 64k.

Can anybody please give me some advice, and or refer me to some good linux
faq's and howto's.

Much appreciated !
Dian

Limiting Linux routing bandwidth

Post by David Rudd » Sat, 11 Apr 1998 04:00:00

The traffic shaper in the newer kernels reportedly does just that.
There are some docs in the Documentation directory in your kernel
source tree.

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:38:00 +0200, "Dian Swanepoel"

>I have a scenario where I have to set up a linux box routing ip from an
>internal network to the net. The problem is I have a 256KB line, and i want
>to limit to bandwidth of that internal network to only 64k.

>Can anybody please give me some advice, and or refer me to some good linux
>faq's and howto's.

>Much appreciated !
>Dian

1. Limiting outgoing bandwidth per machine, using Linux (2.2.19) on ADSL

Hello,

Ok, to start, some facts:

- I have a local network within my home, with IP addresses in the
192.168.0.0/24 subnet, assigned via DHCP
- I'm using a linux 2.2.19 machine as a router/server, that does IP
masquerading to allow all the machines within my network to share the
one internet connection I have. The local network interface is eth0,
while the internet connection is ppp0 (or eth1).
 - I have an ADSL connection with 640 kilobits/sec downstream (80
kilobytes/sec), 90 kilobits/sec upstream (11.25 kilobytes/sec).
My service provider (Verizon Online) is rather facist with their
bandwidth allocation -- when anymore than 50% of my upstream bandwidth
is utilized, it cuts into my downstream. So say I'm downloading
something at 70 kilobytes/sec, and another computer on my network is
sending some data upstream, at 8 kilobytes/sec, my download speed will
drop to about 10kilobytes/sec, and it will stay that way until the
upstream bandwidth is no longer used.
 - I have iproute2 installed with support built into the kernel

I want to setup some kind of traffic shaping policy so each computer
in the network can only send a certain kilobytes/sec upstream, via the
adsl interface (ppp0).

I have read the linux advanced routing howto, and that only left me
really confused. I fiddled around with the tc command but
unfortunately I wasn't able to make any progress.

I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Lesiak

2. !!DDE->TCP/IP Real Time Data Pump,Trx. DDE App. Data to UNIX via TCP/IP

3. New way to do QOS and limit bandwidth with Linux, new site , new software Howto Included

4. max number of telnet sessions possible

5. Bandwidth limiting using Linux as a router...

6. /etc/boot.conf error

7. Bandwidth limiting on Linux gateway

8. problems running startx (XFree86)

9. Bandwidth Limiting / Download Quota's with Linux

10. Limiting bandwidth on Linux gateway

11. limiting bandwidth to a IP using linux

12. Limit bandwidth by IP for a LAN behind a linux firewall

13. Is it possible to tweak cable modem hardware so it doesn't limit my bandwidth?