Is 3Com's 3c905B NIC compatible with Linux?

Is 3Com's 3c905B NIC compatible with Linux?

Post by Chri » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've got 3com's 3c905B NIC. This card is connected to my alcatel ADSL modem.
This modem has got 3 inputs. 1st one for 'ATM-25' (my ATM card connects
here), 2nd one for '10 Base-T' (my 3c905B connects here) and third one is
for the rj-11 line (phone line).

Is there any driver that I can use to enable it to work in Linux? I've tried
the 3c509 and the 3c59x modules (i am using redhat 6.0) but but gave me an
error message saying that it was unable to load the module.

Has anybody got a similar configuration that worked for them? Pls get back
asap. Thanks.

Is 3Com's 3c905B NIC compatible with Linux?

Post by Christian Reus » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

hi chris

i am actually using suses 6.1 distribution. i've got a 3com 3c905b-tx-
ethernet-card (maybe the same that you're using). its working fine at my
place. i compiled the 3com-support into the kernel and the 3c590
(vortex)
support as a module. at the next boot time it was recognized with any
problems.

bye
christian

Post by Artur Swietanowsk » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I've got 3com's 3c905B NIC. (...)

> Is there any driver that I can use to enable it to work in Linux?

I have half a dozen of those, all working in Linux boxes. They all
use 3c59x modules. Since there are two NIC's per box, I compiled
them as kernel modules and load them at boot time in
/etc/conf.modules.

RedHat 6.0 supports them on install with no problems whatsoever
(was installing one such machine just yesterday).

Quote:> I've tried
> the 3c509 and the 3c59x modules (i am using redhat 6.0) but but
> gave me an error message saying that it was unable to load the
> module.

Do you set up your networking during RH install? Does it produce
errors then? Or is it an upgrade of an existing system? Could you
reproduce the exact error message? When and how does the module load?

Regards,

Institut fr Statistik,  Operations Research  und  Computerverfahren,
Universit?t Wien,     Universit?tsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,     Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                     fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

Post by Joe Halpi » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I've got 3com's 3c905B NIC. This card is connected to my alcatel ADSL modem.
>This modem has got 3 inputs. 1st one for 'ATM-25' (my ATM card connects
>here), 2nd one for '10 Base-T' (my 3c905B connects here) and third one is
>for the rj-11 line (phone line).

>Is there any driver that I can use to enable it to work in Linux? I've tried
>the 3c509 and the 3c59x modules (i am using redhat 6.0) but but gave me an
>error message saying that it was unable to load the module.

>Has anybody got a similar configuration that worked for them? Pls get back
>asap. Thanks.

The hardware compatibility list I saw said that the 3C905 is supported, but not
the 3C905B. I wound up getting the 3C509B and it works fine. You might check
around and see if this has changed though, maybe there's a driver available for
it now.

Joe

Is 3Com's 3c905B NIC compatible with Linux?

Post by Doug » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I use 905Bs with no problem (10 servers, two in each one for redundancy).
Make sure you compile the 590/905 Vortex stuff into the kernel.  It seems
more stable in the actual kernel than as a module, by the way.   Don't have
any empirical evidence, just a gut feeling.

Actually, you probably want to check out Donald  Becker's driver site (can't
remember the URL); he's the networking device driver guru that wrote the
supplied Vortex drivers and most of the other ones too.   The main
difference (for folks like you and me!) between the 905 and the 905B is that
the 905B doesn't have a particular transceiver on it, so the standard 905
driver can sometimes misinterpret the registers (they're not in the same
spot basically).

Don has a special driver for the 905Bs (Cyclone chipset) that you basically
just copy into your kernel source, then you remake your kernel and/or
modules to use the new driver.

But, the standard 590 Vortex driver should work just fine, at least for
basic crap.

Make sure you have "Plug and Play OS" turned off in the Bios, and you may
want to manually set the 905B card to the settings you want using the
supplied dos-based 3C90X.exe config utility.

Last word of warning.  The 3com 90x cards have a pretty fair history of NOT
playing nicely with other devices, so don't share an IRQ if you can avoid
it.

Doug Apel
Sr. Network Administrator
Omnipoint Technologies, Inc.

Post by Christian Reus » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> hi chris

> i am actually using suses 6.1 distribution. i've got a 3com 3c905b-tx-
> ethernet-card (maybe the same that you're using). its working fine at my
> place. i compiled the 3com-support into the kernel and the 3c590
> (vortex)
> support as a module. at the next boot time it was recognized with any

                                                               ^^^^
of course : "withOUT" any problems. (sorry !!)

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

Is 3Com's 3c905B NIC compatible with Linux?

Post by rmgala.. » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I've got 3com's 3c905B NIC. This card is

connected to my alcatel ADSL modem.
Quote:> This modem has got 3 inputs. 1st one for 'ATM-

25' (my ATM card connects
Quote:> here), 2nd one for '10 Base-T' (my 3c905B

connects here) and third one is
Quote:> for the rj-11 line (phone line).

> Is there any driver that I can use to enable it

to work in Linux? I've tried
Quote:> the 3c509 and the 3c59x modules (i am using

redhat 6.0) but but gave me an
Quote:> error message saying that it was unable to load
the module.

> Has anybody got a similar configuration that

worked for them? Pls get back

Quote:> asap. Thanks.

Hello Chris,

I had a heck of a time figuring out what was
wrong with my 3C905B-TX NIC card.  It turns out
that no driver exists for RedHat 5.2 Linux that
works properly (that I know of anyway).  Luckily
for me, I had an ISA 3C509 in my other system.  I
swapped them out, and then I was ok.  I know that
this is not a great solution, but I had to do it
to get my systems on the network.

Rob Galante

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Jan-Albert van Re » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > I've got 3com's 3c905B NIC. This card is
> connected to my alcatel ADSL modem.
> > This modem has got 3 inputs. 1st one for 'ATM-
> 25' (my ATM card connects
> > here), 2nd one for '10 Base-T' (my 3c905B
> connects here) and third one is
> > for the rj-11 line (phone line).

> > Is there any driver that I can use to enable it
> to work in Linux? I've tried
> > the 3c509 and the 3c59x modules (i am using
> redhat 6.0) but but gave me an
> > error message saying that it was unable to load
> the module.

> > Has anybody got a similar configuration that
> worked for them? Pls get back
> > asap. Thanks.

> Hello Chris,

> I had a heck of a time figuring out what was
> wrong with my 3C905B-TX NIC card.  It turns out
> that no driver exists for RedHat 5.2 Linux that
> works properly (that I know of anyway).  Luckily
> for me, I had an ISA 3C509 in my other system.  I
> swapped them out, and then I was ok.  I know that
> this is not a great solution, but I had to do it
> to get my systems on the network.

I have a 3Com 905B-TX in my RedHat 5.2 box and it worked right from the
install. It was detected at install time and it never failed me. Are you
sure there wasn't a PnP or IRQ problem with the card? The standard RedHat
5.2 kernel can handle all the 3Com90x series cards very well.
--

3D Sims Archive maintainer  | http://www.3dgamers.com

Is 3Com's 3c905B NIC compatible with Linux?

Post by Cedric Blanche » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

3Com 3c905b are handled by 3c59x "Vortex (Fast Etherlink
3c590/592/595/597) and Boomerang (Etherlink XL 3c900/905)" driver for a
long time now. This driver is shipped with linux kernel.

Is 3Com's 3c905B NIC compatible with Linux?

Post by guru meditatio » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I second that.  I have 2 3c905b cards on the same machine, using Redhat 6.
They have NEVER given me any problems.  Linux even set them both up
correctly, with no conflicts!  If only windoze were this easy :)

Post by Christian Reus » Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:00:00

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html

Cedric Blancher schrieb:

Quote:

> 3Com 3c905b are handled by 3c59x "Vortex (Fast Etherlink
> 3c590/592/595/597) and Boomerang (Etherlink XL 3c900/905)" driver for a
> long time now. This driver is shipped with linux kernel.

Is 3Com's 3c905B NIC compatible with Linux?

Post by Dave Edi » Sun, 15 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've run dozens of machines with these cards under Linux with no problems.
Nor have I ever needed upgraded drivers for any distribution from RedHat 5.0
on.  In fact, I've got a machine at work that's been running for about 200 days
straight doing serious network work (running as a news server among other
things) running RH 5.0 with a 3c905 in it.  The uptime would have been a year
but there was a power failure that outlasted the UPS batteries.