Linux server cannot be accessed from the internet

Linux server cannot be accessed from the internet

Post by linuxgu » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:16:09

I have a basic web server setup on a Linux computer, it's on a small
LAN network, with a cable/dsl router connecting the network to the
internet.

Everything seems to work fine, from what I can see, I can visit my IP
address (that my ISP gave me), from any of these systems here (on same
network), and it pulls up the test page just fine. The problem is,
nobody from the internet can visit the test page on the server, by
visiting the same address.

I have setup port forwarding on my router, so that port 80 will
automatically go to 192.168.1.50 (the Linux server IP on LAN network),
and I've also tried to set it up for the DMZ host, but that didn't
work either. If I turn off the port forwarding, or DMZ host, depending
on which one I'm using, I can't visit the test page from even these
computers.

I've turned off iptables, and also ipchains on the linux system, and
set it for no firewall, and nothing seems to make a difference.

Does anybody have any suggestions I could try?

Also, do you think it's my router, or my linux system that is causing
the problem?

Thanks!!
-linuxguyz

Linux server cannot be accessed from the internet

Post by Mark Style » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:19:49

Quote:>I have a basic web server setup on a Linux computer, it's on a small
>LAN network, with a cable/dsl router connecting the network to the
>internet.

>Everything seems to work fine, from what I can see, I can visit my IP
>address (that my ISP gave me), from any of these systems here (on same
>network), and it pulls up the test page just fine. The problem is,
>nobody from the internet can visit the test page on the server, by
>visiting the same address.

Does your ISP allow you to run a web server? They could be blocking
incoming requests.

Post by Karl Heye » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 12:41:51

> I've turned off iptables, and also ipchains on the linux system, and
> set it for no firewall, and nothing seems to make a difference.

> Does anybody have any suggestions I could try?

> Also, do you think it's my router, or my linux system that is causing
> the problem?

Check to see that you are recieving the packets from outside, use
tcpdump on the external interface and try and connect from outside,
that should generate packets in tcpdump.  If you see none relevant then
it's your provider causing the problem.

karl.

1. RH6.0 web server cannot be accessed from Internet

I have a new RH6.0 installation running Apache 1.3.6.  I am able to connect
to it fine across my LAN, browsing the web pages without problem.  But, I
cannot access it from the Internet (I tried at a friend's place, then I just
signed up for the AOL trial and I cannot connect).  But, my previous
computer, which is running RH5.2 with the same Apache, it accessible from
the Internet.  I can connect out to the Internet fine from the RH6.0 box
(using Netscape, I can connect anywhere I want).

Is there some security option in RH6.0 that is blocking the HTTP/FTP
packets?

The only thing I see different so far is that my RH5.2 box and the RH6.0
have different output from netstat -r.

The 5.2 box (which works fine) shows three entries, one for the loopback,
one for default, and one for my gateway address.

But 6.0 shows an additional entry which includes as a 'destination' the
box's IP address, with a netmask that is fully specified as 255.255.255.255
on my eth0 interface.  Is that a problem?

Any help would be appreciated, since the reason for the upgrade was to have
a better web server, and instead it cannot be used yet!

Thanks,
David
myEastside.com

2. Support for 100Mb Tulip?

3. Network access OK but server cannot use internet

4. Unix prompt?

5. Web server cannot be accessed from other clients on Internet

6. single floppy OBSD for SPARC?

7. Cannot access Linux Web Page or ping linux server from different subnet.

8. Dial In/ Dial out

9. Accessing internet with linux through NT server

10. Accessing Internet in Linux via ISP's Proxy server

11. Configuring Linux for internet access thru Proxy server

12. Linux Internet Access Through Proxy Server

13. Using Linux with to access Internet via ISP's proxy server