3com 3c509tp problems being detected

Post by Daryl Hur » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have a 3com 3c509tp card. It was detected during install and I was able
to configure the NIC. It worked fine and BootP was running with TCP/IP
protocol.

I installed a SoundBlaster Pro and the NIC stopped working. Linux will not
detect the card during bootup and ifconfig doesn't allow me to add the NIC.

Does anybody know how to re-detect a NIC like the installation does?
Linuxconf still has the same settings as before and have not changed. I
have tried removing the sound card and re-booting but it still doesn't
work.

I am stumped... I have tried to manually add the irq and io in linuxconf to
the card's orginal settings.

Post by rich johnso » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have a 3com 3c509tp card. It was detected during install and I was able
> to configure the NIC. It worked fine and BootP was running with TCP/IP
> protocol.

> I installed a SoundBlaster Pro and the NIC stopped working. Linux will not
> detect the card during bootup and ifconfig doesn't allow me to add the NIC.

> Does anybody know how to re-detect a NIC like the installation does?
> Linuxconf still has the same settings as before and have not changed. I
> have tried removing the sound card and re-booting but it still doesn't
> work.

> I am stumped... I have tried to manually add the irq and io in linuxconf to
> the card's orginal settings.

Undoubtedly there is an irq/base addr conflict with the sound card.
The 3c509 can be configured.  Check out Donald Becker's site or
the mirror of it mentioned below.

The latest driver, when compiled into the kernel, allows you to
change both the base addr and irq at boot time in lilo.conf.  I believe
that this is true even if the card is in plug and play mode.

Check out http://www.kernel.org/pub/mirrors/cesdis/drivers/3c509.html

3com 3c509tp problems being detected

Post by Atha » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Or go to the contribution place of redhat [mirror ] ftp and get the RPM

Athan

> I have a 3com 3c509tp card. It was detected during install and I was able
> to configure the NIC. It worked fine and BootP was running with TCP/IP
> protocol.

> I installed a SoundBlaster Pro and the NIC stopped working. Linux will not
> detect the card during bootup and ifconfig doesn't allow me to add the NIC.

> Does anybody know how to re-detect a NIC like the installation does?
> Linuxconf still has the same settings as before and have not changed. I
> have tried removing the sound card and re-booting but it still doesn't
> work.

> I am stumped... I have tried to manually add the irq and io in linuxconf to
> the card's orginal settings.

3com 3c509tp problems being detected

Post by Paul Branst » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a 3com 3c509tp card. It was detected during install and I was able
>to configure the NIC. It worked fine and BootP was running with TCP/IP
>protocol.

>I installed a SoundBlaster Pro and the NIC stopped working. Linux will not
>detect the card during bootup and ifconfig doesn't allow me to add the NIC.

>Does anybody know how to re-detect a NIC like the installation does?
>Linuxconf still has the same settings as before and have not changed. I
>have tried removing the sound card and re-booting but it still doesn't
>work.

>I am stumped... I have tried to manually add the irq and io in linuxconf to
>the card's orginal settings.

It does sound like an irq conflict, what does /proc/interrupts say ?
Figure out the interrupts which the card are using are reset one or
the other.

Paul.

3com 3c509tp problems being detected

Post by Donald Ye » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I don't know what you have tried, but try this. Start up the Kernel Daemon
Configuration tool and from the Set Module Options window (I believe the 3rd
window, after choose module type and define module window), leave the irq and
base address blank and click done. Also check the file /etc/conf.modules to
make sure that the option entry defining the base address and irq for the NIC
is deleted. If it is not, then delete it. Leave the line 'alias eth0 3c509'
alone. Reboot the computer and see if the card is recognized.

> I have a 3com 3c509tp card. It was detected during install and I was able
> to configure the NIC. It worked fine and BootP was running with TCP/IP
> protocol.

> I installed a SoundBlaster Pro and the NIC stopped working. Linux will not
> detect the card during bootup and ifconfig doesn't allow me to add the NIC.

> Does anybody know how to re-detect a NIC like the installation does?
> Linuxconf still has the same settings as before and have not changed. I
> have tried removing the sound card and re-booting but it still doesn't
> work.

> I am stumped... I have tried to manually add the irq and io in linuxconf to
> the card's orginal settings.

1. Problems detecting a 3COM 3c509tp card

I have a 3com 3c509tb card. It was detected during install and I was able
to configure the NIC. It worked fine and BootP was running with TCP/IP
protocol.

I installed a SoundBlaster Pro and the NIC stopped working. Linux will not
detect the card during bootup and ifconfig doesn't allow me to add the NIC.

Does anybody know how to re-detect a NIC like the installation does?
Linuxconf still has the same settings as before and have not changed. I
have tried removing the sound card and re-booting but it still doesn't
work.

I am stumped... I have tried to manually add the irq and io in linuxconf to
the card's orginal settings.

2. Getting X 2.1.1 to work

3. Driver for 3com EtherLink III (3C509TP) adapter ?

4. Kimtron terminal help please

5. 3Com 3C509TP always in AUI mode?!

6. Mirror disk problem

7. 3Com EtherLink III 3C509TP

8. unix cannot find adaptec 1542B on new pentium system

9. x86: Problem detecting 3com 3c589b

10. Problems detecting 3Com 3c509B Eitherlink III card.

11. Problems with detecting 3com 3c509 card

12. 3C509TP problems

13. how to detect if i am behind a NAT?