need help on design a network application

need help on design a network application

Post by Clemens Kirchgattere » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

hi!

im going to write an daemon, that should be able to listen on the network on
one side and on tty devices on the other.
an unlimited number of clients should connect to that daemon, send data to
it and read data from the tty devices.
what is the best way to do this?

should i keep the daemon listen on a tcp port and let him connect back to
the client when hi wants to talk to the daemon like ftp? should i use udp or
tcp?
would it be better to let the daemon bind to one udp port waiting for all
incomeing data?
does it make a performance difference?

i hope i'm expressing clear enough - any suggestions?

thanx ...
clemens

need help on design a network application

Post by Dave Juntge » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

get the books, Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment....and Unix
Network Programming...I can't remember who writes them, the books are not in
front of me...but you will find all the information you need to write a
daemon.

Dave Juntgen

Quote:> hi!

> im going to write an daemon, that should be able to listen on the network
on
> one side and on tty devices on the other.
> an unlimited number of clients should connect to that daemon, send data to
> it and read data from the tty devices.
> what is the best way to do this?

> should i keep the daemon listen on a tcp port and let him connect back to
> the client when hi wants to talk to the daemon like ftp? should i use udp
or
> tcp?
> would it be better to let the daemon bind to one udp port waiting for all
> incomeing data?
> does it make a performance difference?

> i hope i'm expressing clear enough - any suggestions?

> thanx ...
> clemens

1. need help on designing a network application

hi!

im going to write an daemon, that should be able to listen on the network on
one side and on tty devices on the other.
an unlimited number of clients should connect to that daemon, send data to
it and read data from the tty devices.
what is the best way to do this?

should i keep the daemon listen on a tcp port and let him connect back to
the client when he wants to talk to the daemon, like ftp? should i use udp
or
tcp?
would it be better to let the daemon bind to one udp port waiting for all
incomeing data?
does it make a performance difference?

i know that this is all explained in "UNIX Network Programming" by Richard
Stevens, but i cannot go for it at the moment.

i hope i'm expressing clear enough - any suggestions?

thanx ...
clemens

2. Configuration Problems with Apache 1.3.4

3. Network application design

4. dvips and Red Hat Linux 5.2

5. Network application design question

6. pathname

7. Need some help with network design...

8. X at 1600x1200 with S3 Stealth 64 Video VRAM 2MB ?

9. Network application design question

10. need some advice regarding application design

11. Newbie needs home network setup / design advice

12. Need your opinion on a HA Networking design

13. network design advice needed