pump+dhcp not working

Post by 12stcentur » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have  redhat 6.2 beta and I have a cablemodem with service from
21stcentury and I cant get linux to get an ip address?  eth0 tries to get it
at boot and it fails!? I have had it working in the past with a ststic ip
but I cant have a static anymore :(.  I can get it fine on the same computer
when I boot into windows but I cant when I boot into linux?  it there a
trick? I have been tearing my hair our looking at how-to and looking throu
the news groups but nothing has worked.  any help would be GREAT!!

pump+dhcp not working

Post by Andy Jawors » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I have  redhat 6.2 beta and I have a cablemodem with service from
> 21stcentury and I cant get linux to get an ip address?  eth0 tries to get
it
> at boot and it fails!? I have had it working in the past with a ststic ip
> but I cant have a static anymore :(.  I can get it fine on the same
computer
> when I boot into windows but I cant when I boot into linux?  it there a
> trick? I have been tearing my hair our looking at how-to and looking throu
> the news groups but nothing has worked.  any help would be GREAT!!

> --

I had a similar situation on my RH6.1 box.  Neither pump nor dhcpcd worked.

What I found out was that you need to have the "socket packet" support in
your
kernel.  I am quoting from memory here, but it is the first option under
Networking
if you are using "make xconfig".

I compiled this as a module.  If you do so, you do not need to recompile the
whole
kernel, just the modules.  After install you should see the af_packet.o
module
in /lib/modules/2.2.??/misc.

I also have the following alias in my /etc/conf.modules
    alias net-pf-17 af_packet
Otherwise the kernel complains about unable to load net-pf-17.

Try it.  For me it worked like magic.

Andy

pump+dhcp not working

Post by James Waldb » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > I have  redhat 6.2 beta and I have a cablemodem with service from
> > 21stcentury and I cant get linux to get an ip address?  eth0 tries to get
> it
> > at boot and it fails!? I have had it working in the past with a ststic ip
> > but I cant have a static anymore :(.  I can get it fine on the same
> computer
> > when I boot into windows but I cant when I boot into linux?  it there a
> > trick? ....

> I had a similar situation on my RH6.1 box.  Neither pump nor dhcpcd worked.

> What I found out was that you need to have the "socket packet" support in
> your
> kernel.  ....
> Andy....

On my RH6.1 box, dhcpcd works ok without such a module.
I looked at references like following during setup:
http://www.coastnet.com/~pramsey/linux/homenet.html
http://www.rimboy.com/firewall/
http://members.home.net/jasonbrossa/Linux/
http://24.5.101.81/Linux/
http://members.home.net/randal.leavitt/CableModemConnectionNotes.html
http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/dhcp-client/2000/01/msg00004.html
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/894/2/
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/multicard.html
http://noc.ucsc.edu/dhcp/

For more background on dhcp, see
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/894/2/
http://www.isc.org/ml-archives/dhcp-client/2000/01/msg00004.html
and the msg after it, and http://noc.ucsc.edu/dhcp/

pump+dhcp not working

Post by L J » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I'm currently having the same problem with my network. My netgear RH348 ISDN
router uses NAT and DHCP. My laptop works fine at work but fails to get an
address at home. I'm still working on it.

> I have  redhat 6.2 beta and I have a cablemodem with service from
> 21stcentury and I cant get linux to get an ip address?  eth0 tries to get it
> at boot and it fails!? I have had it working in the past with a ststic ip
> but I cant have a static anymore :(.  I can get it fine on the same computer
> when I boot into windows but I cant when I boot into linux?  it there a
> trick? I have been tearing my hair our looking at how-to and looking throu
> the news groups but nothing has worked.  any help would be GREAT!!

> --

pump+dhcp not working

Post by L J » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I solved my problem by turning off my DHCP. NAT and a manual address did the rest
good luck.

> I'm currently having the same problem with my network. My netgear RH348 ISDN
> router uses NAT and DHCP. My laptop works fine at work but fails to get an
> address at home. I'm still working on it.

> > I have  redhat 6.2 beta and I have a cablemodem with service from
> > 21stcentury and I cant get linux to get an ip address?  eth0 tries to get it
> > at boot and it fails!? I have had it working in the past with a ststic ip
> > but I cant have a static anymore :(.  I can get it fine on the same computer
> > when I boot into windows but I cant when I boot into linux?  it there a
> > trick? I have been tearing my hair our looking at how-to and looking throu
> > the news groups but nothing has worked.  any help would be GREAT!!

> > --

pump+dhcp not working

Post by Simon Willgo » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 00:56:55 -0600, "12stcentury"

>I have  redhat 6.2 beta and I have a cablemodem with service from
>21stcentury and I cant get linux to get an ip address?  eth0 tries to get it
>at boot and it fails!? I have had it working in the past with a ststic ip
>but I cant have a static anymore :(.  I can get it fine on the same computer
>when I boot into windows but I cant when I boot into linux?  it there a
>trick? I have been tearing my hair our looking at how-to and looking throu
>the news groups but nothing has worked.  any help would be GREAT!!

I had a simlar problem connecting to Telstra Bigpond Advance
(Australia). The eth1 interface (to the cable modem) was not "up" when

dhcpcd attempted to get an ip address on boot. II insmod'd the correct
driver, check to make sure it was in /etc/conf.modules, installed it
in linuxconf, but no - it refused to work on boot. I added an entry in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local to load the module,  then run dhcpcd - and hey
presto, up comes eth1 (albeit a tad late).

As an aside, i also had to add a route in the routing table in order
to communicate to login to the Bigpond network - anyone else have that
problem??

-Spud.

1. pump dhcp client : works once ... doesn't work again.

I posted this a while ago but got no response, one more try ....
I'm on the RCN cable network here in Boston (somerville to be exact)
and have been trying to get my two debian linux machines (one sparc,
one x86) online consistently for the past week.  They both sucessfully
worked when I first plugged them in and made the network settings get
the ip through dhcp ...

the sparc linux machine was working fine until a little while later
when it just went off the network completely ... I then plugged the
network cable from the modem into the x86 machine and it worked fine.
After a day of the x86 machine being off the cable modem ( had to use
a windows machine for a little while ) I could no longer get an ip on
the x86 linux machine through pump/dhcp.

the errors I'm getting in syslog look like this :

Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs kernel: eth0: Initial media type Autonegotiate.
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs kernel: eth0: MII #24 status 782d, link partner
capability 0021, setting half-duplex.
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: PUMP: sending discover
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: opcode: 1
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: hw: 1
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: hwlength: 6
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: hopcount: 0
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: xid: 0x3efca947
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: secs: 0
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: flags: 0x0000
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: ciaddr: 0.0.0.0
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: yiaddr: 0.0.0.0
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: server_ip: 0.0.0.0
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: bootp_gw_ip: 0.0.0.0
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: hwaddr:
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: servername:
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: bootfile:
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: vendor: 0x63 0x53 0x82 0x63
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: vendor:  53   1 0x01
Jan  3 17:22:05 chubbs pumpd[366]: breq: vendor: 0xff
Jan  3 17:22:20 chubbs pumpd[366]: reject: xid: 0x3efca947 <-->
0x300fba97

I tried different combinations of pump commands to try and get it to
work but ... no luck :
pump -i eth0
pump -R -i eth0
pump -v -R -i eth0

tried releasing it and then renewing it
pump -i eth0 --release
pump -i eth0

I'm also cycling the power on the Toshiba cable modem before I
request ip addresses  ( unplug - plug back in ).  Is there some sort
of cache that pump has the ip info on ?  I just don't get it ... if it
worked the first time why won't it work again?

from what I understand rcn doesnt need a hostname sent to the server.
I just dont get why it worked once on each machine - but not again.
Anyone have any ideas ?

- Joel

2. What is the current version of GZIP - and where do I get it?

3. dhcp / pump problem with Linux--works on Win95 dualboot

4. Anybody running Sun Greyscale Monitor with X on PC?

5. pump stop working when DHCP server failed

6. Java API for AIX, like on AS/400?

7. RH 6.0 pump not getting IP via DHCP from Cisco 675

8. Network card setup under 2.4 x86 EA2

9. Firewall+DHCP (pump) Strange DHCP behavior HELP!

10. DHCP not working when booting, works after login

11. dhcp on powerbook g3 using pump

12. RedHat 5.9 dhcp with pump

13. 1 * UNJcchBaj-Pump renewing DHCP lease?