rarpd with Linux

Post by Markachev, Naiden [SKY:4Y21:EXCH » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Is there a Linux equivalent for the Solaris rarpd? I am trying to set up
a Linux box to act as a Solaris boot server[jumpstart install] and rarpd
needs to be running on the node. Has anyone done that?

Thanks,
Naiden

--
"Witty quotes mean nothing" -- Voltaire

rarpd with Linux

Post by James Knot » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Linux also supports this (or similar).  You'll probably find
what you want in the in the HOWTOs, under "Diskless
Workstation".

> Is there a Linux equivalent for the Solaris rarpd? I am trying to set up
> a Linux box to act as a Solaris boot server[jumpstart install] and rarpd
> needs to be running on the node. Has anyone done that?

> Thanks,
> Naiden

> --
> "Witty quotes mean nothing" -- Voltaire

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
ignored.

"james.knott".

rarpd with Linux

Post by Darrel Hankerso » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Is there a Linux equivalent for the Solaris rarpd? I am trying to set up
> a Linux box to act as a Solaris boot server[jumpstart install] and rarpd
> needs to be running on the node. Has anyone done that?

Here's some notes I saved on booting a Sun from something other than
a Sun.

Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun.misc
Subject: Re: linux install server for solaris
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:33:06 GMT

Quote:>i've got a sparc classic around, but unfortunately i haven't got a
>solaris compatible cdrom drive. yet there are some linux boxes around
>(with cdroms).

>is it possible to use a linux box as installserver for the sparc, and
>if so, could you explain how or direct me to some dokumentation explaining
>the setup?

I almost got this to work.  See:

  http://www.bus.ualberta.ca/cstudhol/unix/Solaris-Linux-NetInstall.html

for my notes.  Let me know if you overcome the difficulties I had.

Chris.

The odd person has asked about this subject in comp.os.solaris before so I'll
post my (partial) success for all who are interested.

I have successfully installed Solaris 2.7 on an SS5 using a linux machine as
the install server.  Unfortunately, I needed an Ultra running Solaris 2.6 for
one part of the procedure.  Perhaps someone can figure out how to do this
entirely with linux and let me know.

The machines I used:

  ss5box   - an SS5 with 1GB disk and 64MB RAM.  No operating system.
  linuxbox - intel RH5.2 with kernel 2.2.0pre4.  This machine has two network
             cards and acts as a firewall/router with ip masquerading.  The
             ss5box and linuxbox are on the same subnet.
  ultrabox - an Ultra2 running Solaris 2.6.  This machine is located on the
             internet about 5 hops away from the other two machines.

The software required on the linux machine includes:

  - rarp compiled in the kernel or loaded as a module
  - tftp and inetd configured to run it
  - nfs server and portmap
  - bootparamd

First, find out the ethernet address and pick an IP address for ss5box.
Setup rarp:

  linuxbox# rarp -s ss5box 00:00:3b:80:43:79

If you wish to verify that rarp is working, run tcpdump on linuxbox while
attempting to boot ss5box:

  ok> boot net

Next, you need to figure out what kernel ss5box is going to attempt to load.
tcpdump can help with this.  My machine wanted C0A8850D.SUN4M.  To give it
this kernel, create the following symlink in /tftpboot on linuxbox:

  linuxbox# ln -s /cdrom/Solaris_2.7/Tools/Boot/usr/platform/sun4m/lib/fs/nfs/inetboot /tftpboot/C0A8850D.SUN4M
  linuxbox# ls -l /tftpboot
  total 1
  lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           68 Jan  5 22:48 C0A8850D.SUN4M -> /cdrom/Solaris_2.7/Tools/Boot/usr/platform/sun4m/lib/fs/nfs/inetboot

If your machine is not sun4m architecture, substitute your architecture in the
appropriate location above.  Also, it is assumed that you have the Solaris 2.7
installation media mounted at /cdrom on linuxbox.

If you now attempt to boot ss5box, it should indicate that it is loading the
kernel, but then fail with some RPC timeouts.

To setup and run bootparamd, first create the file /etc/bootparams with the
line:

  ss5box domain=house.net root=ultrabox:/tmp/sol7/Tools/Boot install=linuxbox:/cdrom boottype=:in root_opts=:rsize=8192 ns=192.168.1.1

Run bootparamd on linuxbox with the command:

  linuxbox# rpc.bootparamd -d -r 192.168.1.1

This runs bootparamd in interactive mode with debug messages on.  Run this in
one xterm window.  192.168.1.1 is the IP address of linuxbox on the interface
connected to ss5box.

Two NFS servers are required.  One to serve a root filesystem to the install
program, and one to serve the installation media (the cdrom).  Unfortunately,
I was unable to get linuxbox to serve both of these purposes.  There seems
to be something wrong with having a linux machine serve the root filesystem.
The filesystem is successfully mounted, but the Solaris machine reports NFS
read errors.  To get around this problem, I used an existing Solaris machine
(ultrabox) as the NFS server for the root filesystem, but used linuxbox to
serve the installation cd.

/etc/exports on linuxbox contains:

  /cdrom  ss5box(ro,no_root_squash)

/etc/dfs/dfstab on ultrabox contains:

  share -F nfs -o ro=linuxbox,root=linuxbox /tmp/sol7

It is interesting that ss5box has no trouble mounting the root filesystem
from ultrabox via IP masquerading.  The root filesystem on ultrabox is
copied from Solaris_2.7/Tools/Boot/ on the installation cd.

These steps should be all that is required to install Solaris on ss5box.
Start the installation process with:

  ok> boot net - install

A few error messages will appear, like 'no domain set' even though bootparams
does have a domain set.  Also, there will be some message about not having
access to jumpstart parameters.  Just hit [ENTER] to do an interactive
install.  The isntallation should be successful.

I hope this helps people get Solaris installed on their SparcStation without
a cdrom drive.  If anyone figures out the problem with NFS, please let me
know.

1. Rarpd for Linux?

Does anyone know of the where-abouts of a RARPD for Linux??
I've checked sunsite, tsx-11, etc, and I can't find one
pre-compiled. Nor have I had any success in compiling one which
I found using archie :-(

Jon.
--

  \\ DISCLAIMER: All opinions my own, & nowt to do with my employer \

2. HELP... weird problem

3. Rarpd from linux - how

4. How to remove the flap when printing file

5. Need rarpd for Linux

6. Ultra 30 CPU Upgrade?

7. RARPD for Linux v1.2++ binaries + Source. WHERE??

8. Cisco + SNMP

9. RARPD for Linux

10. RARPD FOR LINUX

11. Linux/Sun RARPD