PROXY SERVER for Mail Accounts--Internet Server

PROXY SERVER for Mail Accounts--Internet Server

Post by Ryan Vardema » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

This may sound like a foolish request...but I need to find out some
information.  I am trying to set up a internet server for a small
business.  This linux machine has a dial-in connection to an Internet
provider.  I want to make the office (which is connected via ethernet on
a Novell network) to have access through this gateway to browsing and
email.  I have rebuilt the kernel to allow IP Forwarding, and am able to
dial the number and establish a connection with the service provider.  I
then run pppd... what am I missing here... I have configured several
files... I do not know what all I have configured... but what files do I
need to edit and configure and put
my Ethernet (local IP ADDRESS) and my Internet IP Address, which by the
way is assigned (static)...  What other files must I configure?  If
nothing Else I would like for someone to give me where I can locate the
references to do this...  Thank You
                          Ryan Vardeman

[...]

1. Mail Servers/Internet Gateways/Proxy Servers?

In a few months I will be in the business of setting up Internet systems
for small to medium businesses to give them dial-up Internet access and
e-mail on a LAN.  I was going to use Mdaemon (great e-mail software) &
either Sygate or Wingate (which I am familiar with) on Win95
workstations.  I recently discovered Linux and I was wondering if Linux
would provide a more stable solution.  I have heard that some free
utilities may already be built in to Linux that could do what I need.
Is this correct?

The mail server would have to dial the ISP at regular intervals and need
the ability to receive e-mail via SMTP or possibly POP3.  It would need
to be able to store the incoming e-mail in separate mailboxes which will
be POPed from mail clients running on the network.
The Internet Gateway would have to be secure, (ie) firewall abilities,
dial on demand and disconnect after a period of time since the last
traffic.

Can someone please tell me what is available for Linux?

Cheers,
Ross Levis
New Zealand.

2. Newbie needs help Part II

3. Sending internet mail through a proxy server

4. PCMCIA modem, LinuxPPC 2.2.4, and PowerBook G3/292

5. Linux proxy server connecting to Mail server(Mandrake 9 beta2)

6. test

7. Internet Server and Mail Server

8. i am looking for these patches...

9. Using an outside proxy server form behind a proxy server

10. Proxy server to another proxy server

11. Can NCSA HTTP server be set up as Proxy Server and Web server?

12. Want Linux to USE a proxy server not BE a proxy server

13. FS: Internet Gateway Server (Departmnetal or Internet Server)