Centre of competence for iproute2

Post by bakd.. » Sat, 08 Oct 2005 14:56:29

Where should I be asking questions about iproute2? I've seen multiple
suggestions that ifconfig, route, etc. are old hat (scuse the pun!) but
little in the way of practical examples about using iproute2 instead.
I'm particularly looking for advice on starting up from a reboot using
multiple routing tables and rules with fwmark. Where/how should this be
done?

Post by bakd.. » Sat, 08 Oct 2005 14:57:46

Where should I be asking questions about iproute2? I've seen multiple
suggestions that ifconfig, route, etc. are old hat (scuse the pun!) but
little in the way of practical examples about using iproute2 instead.
I'm particularly looking for advice on starting up from a reboot using
multiple routing tables and rules with fwmark. Where/how should this be
done?

1. A Question of Competence...

I would like to ask a question of the readers of this newsgroup:

Supposing you had a server, in this case, NT, which needed it's drives
replaced.  It's just a small machine with two 9GB hard drives, both
mirrored (RAID-1).  We had an outside consultant (actually, the same
company that sold us the machine a while back) come in and install two
NEW drives.  The new drives were to be setup in the same configuration
as the old ones.

Here's the dirty details:

The old drives were ancient 50-pin SCSI, so we decided to replace the
drives AND controllers with new U2W hardware.  We used Quantum 18GB
drives and two Adaptec 2940 U2W controllers.

All the tech had to do was install the new drives and controllers,
copy the data off the OLD ones onto the new ones, and setup the RAID
configuration.  Pretty simple stuff, right?

I need your opinion: how long do you think it should have taken this
tech to perform this task?

This is in regards to a billing dispute, and any input on this would
be appreciated...

--
-
Michael Maxwell  <drwho at xnet.com> | http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/

2. DVD Writer

3. Routing with iproute2 and ipchains - src address wont translate

4. AVA 2825

5. iproute2 & routing table disappears

6. Help! Download w/ internal modem on sio2

7. equalize on iproute2

8. 3com pc card doesn't work after recompiling kernel

9. iproute2 TC: Prefer UDP

10. Iproute2 problem across networks using NAT and 2 internal networks

11. iproute2, 2 inet lines, 2 interfaces, 2 ssh tunnels

12. iproute2

13. iproute2 install error