Mesuring the bandwith usage

Post by Andres Tarall » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 03:48:41

                I'm currently working for an ISP, we have a large amount
of users and we're reaching the point were we must upgrade our link to
the Internet.

                In order to do a better usage of our existing links we
want to know if we can measure how our bandwidth is being in a per
protocol basis (SMTP, HTTP and so on) and also do tihis measures every 6
hours or less logging the usage of the bandwith.

                Is there any tool or package capable of doing this in
linux?

Mesuring the bandwith usage

Post by Jaap Brin » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 03:33:22

Seems netperf would do the trick for you. Although I think it allows you
to only specify TCP and UDP packets.

Jaap

>                 I'm currently working for an ISP, we have a large amount
> of users and we're reaching the point were we must upgrade our link to
> the Internet.

>                 In order to do a better usage of our existing links we
> want to know if we can measure how our bandwidth is being in a per
> protocol basis (SMTP, HTTP and so on) and also do tihis measures every 6
> hours or less logging the usage of the bandwith.

>                 Is there any tool or package capable of doing this in
> linux?

Jaap Brink, Ph.D., Biochemistry, One Baylor Plaza, Baylor College of
Medicine, Rm. N420 Alkek Building, Houston, TX 77030

URL  : http://ncmi.bioch.bcm.tmc.edu/~brink