terminal VERY SLOW

Post by It's spelled F-R-A-N-K, but it's pronounced MOZIL » Tue, 05 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I ran a null modem cable from an old Amiga500 to my linux system (serial port).
Everything works fine until I start to use the modem (internal).  When using
the modem, the terminal slows down to a crawl (about a character every 5 or so
seconds).  Is there some sort of bottleneck I'm running into?  I tried
adjusting the speed of the modem and that seems to have nothing to do with it
at all.  Please mail all replies.

Please email all replies.
--

f magrone
univ mo/kc acs

1. Direct terminal VERY slow

I am having a problem with a directly connected terminal.  It was
working fine, but after the installation of a new modem it works very
slowly.  If I send uugetty a SIGHUP I can walk over to the other room
and watch as issue is printed character by character.  I would
appreciate any help.  I have already read the Serial-HOWTO.

Relevant info is:

kernel 1.1.63
Slackware that came with 1.0.8 (I think it is slackware 2.0)
gateway 2000 486-33 8MB
Microsoft mouse on PS2 style connector
Soublaster 16 at irq5
Zoom 14.4 Voice on cua3 irq3
terminal on null modem cable on cua2 irq4

setserial shows correct irq/address settings

The following are from memory.
inittab:
  d2:45:/sbin/uugetty /dev/ttyS2 t9600 vt100

gettydefs:

/etc/default/uugetty.ttyS2:
CLEAR=YES
ALTLINE=cua2

2. Linux Benches, Performance

3. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow

4. Animated Cursor ??

5. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?

6. expensive (reverse) DNS lookups using lpd

7. Help - slow,slow, slip,slip, slow

8. journyx Time v2.2.1 released for AIX

9. Matrox g450 + tuxracer = slow slow slow!!! [???]

10. Newby (After 4.3.2 install, CDE LOGIN IS SLOW SLOW SLOW)

11. slow connection between terminal(8088) and linux box via serial

12. Modem output very slow to reach my terminal

13. help: slow serial terminals