PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

Post by Arthur Hoornweg (Software engine » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Hello world,
>I sure hope someone can help me here.
>I have two machines networked, running Linux 1.2.13 and Win95. I have TCP/IP
>running on both machines but neither of them see each other (100% loss,
>can't telnet to each other). So, something must be wrong with my network
>setup... I can dial out from the Linux machine and establish a PPP
>connection to my ISP. And, ip_masquerade hides my local IP address
>(192.168.1.1) of Linux just fine and dandy. I checked the routing table and
>the ifconfig on Linux box and as far as I know they look ok.
>So, I think the problem is with the Win95.
>(1) I noticed is that sometimes the I can't see the network neighborhood,
>and the autoexec.bat shows c:\windows\net start REMed out by Win95. Why?
>(2) If I unREM it and reboot, It shows the whole network icon and the win95
>machine's host name, but not my linux box. But, for whatever reasons,
>c:\windows\net start gets REMed out after rebooting.
>(3) Setting up TCP/IP on Win95 appears simple on compared to Linux; just
>fill in the network info. But, I can't tell what's going on in the
>background, so I don't know what is causing the problem.
>If anyone out there has been successful networking win95 & Linux together I
>would sure like to here from you!  Thanks much in advance!
>Henry Shin

Sorry, but TCP/IP is just the protocol for getting data packets from
one computer to another. You obviously didn't install a
unix-compatible network client on your windows-95 computer (such as
PC-NFS). I don't use Unix myself, but I would be surprised if
something like this didn't exist for Win95.

Arthur Hoornweg

:
: (1) I noticed is that sometimes the I can't see the network neighborhood,
: and the autoexec.bat shows c:\windows\net start REMed out by Win95. Why?

You probably upgraded from Windows for Workgroups, which needed a
real-mode setup (net start) before Windows started. With Win95, this
portion is not needed.

: (3) Setting up TCP/IP on Win95 appears simple on compared to Linux; just
: fill in the network info. But, I can't tell what's going on in the
: background, so I don't know what is causing the problem.
: If anyone out there has been successful networking win95 & Linux together I
: would sure like to hear from you!  Thanks much in advance!

One thing that could be making things difficult is that you generally
can't serve telnet from a DOS/Windows machine, since most programs use
direct memory writes for output...

But anyway, are you trying to telnet using machine names instead of IP
addresses? If you are, and you don't have DNS set up, you'll need to
define the hostname/address translations in C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS on the Win95
machine and in /etc/hosts on the Linux box (the Linux man pages will have
the info you need; both files have exactly the same format).

Another thing you need to do is make sure they're on the same subnet. This
means that if you take the netmask of each machine and logically OR it
with its IP address, they both give you the same number. What I would do
in that case is use whichever address your ISP gave you for the PPP
interface on the Linux box, and use different addresses (on the same
subnet) on your local ethernet network. Addresses in the form 10.x.x.x are
reserved for local networks, so you won't have any problems using those.

Then you would just have to give the Linux box's IP address as the gateway
address for the Win 95 machine, make sure IP forwarding is switched on in
your kernel, and you should be all set.

If this works, you may want to look into the samba package for Linux. It
lets you share files between Linux and Windows networks pretty
transparently, and it's cheaper than an NFS client for the Windows
machine...

Good luck.

--

   http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nsdahya1/

Post by Barry Mille » Thu, 25 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Hello world,

> I sure hope someone can help me here.

> I have two machines networked, running Linux 1.2.13 and Win95. I have TCP/IP
> running on both machines but neither of them see each other (100% loss,
> can't telnet to each other). So, something must be wrong with my network
> setup... I can dial out from the Linux machine and establish a PPP
> connection to my ISP. And, ip_masquerade hides my local IP address
> (192.168.1.1) of Linux just fine and dandy. I checked the routing table and
> the ifconfig on Linux box and as far as I know they look ok.

> So, I think the problem is with the Win95.

> (1) I noticed is that sometimes the I can't see the network neighborhood,
> and the autoexec.bat shows c:\windows\net start REMed out by Win95. Why?

> (2) If I unREM it and reboot, It shows the whole network icon and the win95
> machine's host name, but not my linux box. But, for whatever reasons,
> c:\windows\net start gets REMed out after rebooting.

> (3) Setting up TCP/IP on Win95 appears simple on compared to Linux; just
> fill in the network info. But, I can't tell what's going on in the
> background, so I don't know what is causing the problem.

> If anyone out there has been successful networking win95 & Linux together I
> would sure like to here from you!  Thanks much in advance!

> Henry Shin

trying the same thing with no like if you ever come across any info on this
I would sure be greatfull for the help thanks

PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

Post by Guy O. Cox, Jr » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

It works for me.

The "Rem" in the autoexec.bat is normal.

Can you do a loopback ping under Win95?

Are you using the IP or hostname when you try to connect via telnet.
Edit the host file sample and rename it to hosts.

The Linux machine will not show up under Network Neighborhood in WIn95,
NetworkNeighborhood doesn't use the TCP/IP connection.

There is no telnetd on Win95 as it comes out of the box. There is a
telnet client app so that you can connect from Win95 to Linux.

Post by R.C. Shepher » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> > Hello world,

> > I sure hope someone can help me here.

> > I have two machines networked, running Linux 1.2.13 and Win95. I have TCP/IP
> > running on both machines but neither of them see each other (100% loss,
> > can't telnet to each other). So, something must be wrong with my network
> > setup... I can dial out from the Linux machine and establish a PPP
> > connection to my ISP. And, ip_masquerade hides my local IP address
> > (192.168.1.1) of Linux just fine and dandy. I checked the routing table and
> > the ifconfig on Linux box and as far as I know they look ok.

> > So, I think the problem is with the Win95.

> > (1) I noticed is that sometimes the I can't see the network neighborhood,
> > and the autoexec.bat shows c:\windows\net start REMed out by Win95. Why?

> > (2) If I unREM it and reboot, It shows the whole network icon and the win95
> > machine's host name, but not my linux box. But, for whatever reasons,
> > c:\windows\net start gets REMed out after rebooting.

> > (3) Setting up TCP/IP on Win95 appears simple on compared to Linux; just
> > fill in the network info. But, I can't tell what's going on in the
> > background, so I don't know what is causing the problem.

> > If anyone out there has been successful networking win95 & Linux together I
> > would sure like to here from you!  Thanks much in advance!

> > Henry Shin

> trying the same thing with no like if you ever come across any info on this
> I would sure be greatfull for the help thanks

Networking Win95 and Linux is trivial! Simply fill out the TCP/IP section in
Networks. Don't expect to see your Linux box in Network Neigorhood - it's not
even near that smart. If you chose your IP carefully (not using reserved
sections) and your netmask is the same, you should have no problem. You
shouldn't even HAVE an autoexec.bat so rem everything that you don't
really need. Make sure that your ethernet card (and not only your modem)
is bound to the TCP/IP protocol. Use Network in CP for this. Check same
with ifconfig in Linux. You should take care when setting up your network -
netconfig does a great job. Use .1 and .2 as host IP's and ping both ways. It
MUST work! Don't try and ping the name - if you don't set up DNS or HOSTS
files, it won't work, but I suppose you already knew that :)

Good luck!
Rudie

Post by Frank Graha » Sat, 27 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>> Hello world,

>> I sure hope someone can help me here.

>> I have two machines networked, running Linux 1.2.13 and Win95. I have TCP/IP
>> running on both machines but neither of them see each other (100% loss,
>> can't telnet to each other). So, something must be wrong with my network
>> setup... I can dial out from the Linux machine and establish a PPP
>> connection to my ISP. And, ip_masquerade hides my local IP address
>> (192.168.1.1) of Linux just fine and dandy.

Make sure your network is terminated correctly. My assumtion is that you
are using ethernet with T-connectors.  If not give more specifics.

If the Linux box ip is 192.168.1.1 then the Win95 ip should be
192.168.1.x  (x should be a number < 255 other than 0 and 1). The Linux
box is also your gateway to the net (PPP).

Since the Linux box works, try to ping the Win95 box from itself.
Then try to ping the Linux box.

Create a host file in the windows drectory example
192.168.1.1    Linuxbox.what.com  Linux

BTW, you will not see the Linux box in the Win95 network neighborhood.
Try the above and get back to me with more info.

Frank

PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

Post by Michelle Ann Erbec » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

We have just that configuration and it works fine.

PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

Post by Henry Shi » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> It works for me.

> The "Rem" in the autoexec.bat is normal.

> Can you do a loopback ping under Win95?

yes!

Quote:

> Are you using the IP or hostname when you try to connect via telnet.
> Edit the host file sample and rename it to hosts.

Tried both & failed both times. And, I added host names in "hosts" file
in win95.

Quote:

> The Linux machine will not show up under Network Neighborhood in WIn95,
> NetworkNeighborhood doesn't use the TCP/IP connection.
> I didn't know that. Thank you.
> There is no telnetd on Win95 as it comes out of the box. There is a
> telnet client app so that you can connect from Win95 to Linux.

Did you have to do any static routing?

PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

Post by Henry Shi » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> It works for me.

> The "Rem" in the autoexec.bat is normal.

> Can you do a loopback ping under Win95?

yes!

Quote:

> Are you using the IP or hostname when you try to connect via telnet.
> Edit the host file sample and rename it to hosts.

Tried both & failed both times. And, I added host names in "hosts" file
in win95.

Quote:

> The Linux machine will not show up under Network Neighborhood in WIn95,
> NetworkNeighborhood doesn't use the TCP/IP connection.
> I didn't know that. Thank you.
> There is no telnetd on Win95 as it comes out of the box. There is a
> telnet client app so that you can connect from Win95 to Linux.

Did you have to do any static routing?

PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

Post by Henry Shi » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> It works for me.

> The "Rem" in the autoexec.bat is normal.

> Can you do a loopback ping under Win95?

yes!

Quote:

> Are you using the IP or hostname when you try to connect via telnet.
> Edit the host file sample and rename it to hosts.

Tried both & failed both times. And, I added host names in "hosts" file
in win95.

Quote:

> The Linux machine will not show up under Network Neighborhood in WIn95,
> NetworkNeighborhood doesn't use the TCP/IP connection.
> I didn't know that. Thank you.
> There is no telnetd on Win95 as it comes out of the box. There is a
> telnet client app so that you can connect from Win95 to Linux.

Did you have to do any static routing?

I finally gave up and tried another strategy.
I put win95 on both computers and I ended up with same problems. I am
able to ping localhosts & itself by address & name. But, no luck with
pinging each other. I get timed out error. What does that mean exactly?
Now, I am more convinced something is wrong with my original win95 setup.

I tried winipcfg and it does not show "ip routing" checked on either
systems. It seems like they should be. How do I sort of turn it on?

If anyone has a same setup (win95 + win95, or win95 + linux) can you send
me the output from "route print". Oh, I get nothing when I use arp -a.
Why? Does this mean that IP addresses and physical address to my network
cards are not mapped togther? But, winipcfg shows physical addresses of
my network cards!

Thanks for all your help!

Almost gone crazy...

Henry Shin

> [...]

Did you have to do any static routing?

I finally gave up and tried another strategy.
I put win95 on both computers and I ended up with same problems. I am able to ping localhosts & itself by address & name.
But, no luck with pinging each other. I get timed out error. What does that mean exactly? Now, I am more convinced
something is wrong with my original win95 setup.

I tried winipcfg and it does not show "ip routing" checked on either systems. It seems like they should be. How do I sort
of turn it on?

If anyone has a same setup (win95 + win95, or win95 + linux) can you send me the output from "route print". Oh, I get
nothing when I use arp -a. Why? Does this mean that IP addresses and physical address to my network cards are not mapped
togther? But, winipcfg shows physical addresses of my network cards!

1. Please help before I lose my mind :)

Hi.

I hope someone can help.  I can't seem to get Linux on my laptop.  It's
an HP n3270.  Nothing works.  I've had it for 6 weeks now and never even
used it :/

It has a Trident Cyberblade i7 agp card in it.  I saw support for the
card on the xfree863.3.6 card database screen.  It seems to have
installed but I get this error now when I try to run startx.  This is
with Mandrake...  That was the only recent version that had 3.3.6 xfree
86.

Error:
You must provide a "Screen" section in XF86Config for at least one of
the following graphics drivers: fbdev

Fatal server error:
No configured graphics devices.

Please help.

Thanx.

2. kmod and RH 6.2

3. Please Help: Lost Win95 OSRII after wrong LILO installation

4. Unkillable netscape 4.06 on AIX

5. network freeze when adding win95 laptop to Linux/Win95 network

6. Megaraid crash (Blocked mailbox......!!) with 2.4.19-aa and 2.4.20-aa

7. Linux & Win95 Network - HELP!

8. NCSA httpd IO buffers

9. please help - lost LILO, LILO lost

10. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

11. lost Win95 during Linux setup - help

12. help:lost cdrom in win95 after install linux

13. HELP!: Lost Linux after reinstalling Win95