Prob: Linux/ISDN/pppd/ISP/reconnect

Post by Chris McDonoug » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

This is a repost, as I didn't see the original.  Sorry if this is 2nd
copy....

I have a problem with an ISDN PPP connection to my ISP
using the equipment which follows

My setup:
-----
Slackware (vers. unknown, dl'ed a week ago from sunsite)
Linux kernel 2.0.30
pppd 2.2.0
3Com Impact IQ with Multilink enabled

My ISP's (ClarkNet) setup:
-----
Ascend MAX 4004

The problem:
-----
Unreliable initial connection to ISP.

Cruft
-----
More explicitly, my setup actually works fine... it just
doesn't work fine every time.  Dependably (ie. most every
time), the physical connection comes up, and though the
debugging output of pppd, I can see that the PPP session
is negotiated properly.  In other words, the IPCP
conversation happens, my PPP interface receives an IP
address (static), the remote interface's IP address is
provided (dynamic). A default route to the remote IP is
established.  We're supposed to be up and running.
Sometimes, we are.

However, after the PPP negotiation is done in maybe
3 out of 5 calls, no IP traffic can cross the link.
ICMP outbound, name resolution requests, TCP sessions,
etc. do not make it across the PPP interface.  The
provider has confirmed that he cannot ping my box from
the other direction when this failure occurs, either.

So... the link just sits there... pppd happily waits for
traffic, thinking (rightly) that it has done its job
after negotiating the link settings.

But no traffic ever comes or goes.  Attempts to use
applications such as telnet or ping or whatever end
up in app timeouts.  No packets cross the link (verified
through debug output, tcpdump, and LEDs on Impact IQ).

This state persists until I bring down the link,
and reconnect possibly several times until a stable
IP connection is established.  What's really annoying
about it is that pppd doesn't detect a failure during
the connection phase... so the box THINKS EVERYTHING
IS OK... except all applications fail.  What a pain.

I've tried setting the link down all the way to 9600bps.
No luck.  Tried setting the port speed down to 19200.
No luck.  Messed around indefinitely with pppd
options (pointless, because pppd does its job, really).
Tried adding scripts to ppp ip-up options which
do all sorts of crazy routing table mods.  Stood on
my head and prayed to Vishnu.  Rebuilt kernel with
different options.  Attempted to upgrade to pppd 2.3.1
(unsuccessfully, BTW, I need a patch for this... the
compile fails, and I searched Dejanews for problems
but found only unusable patches) , other things too
numerous to mention.

Started from scratch on another (faster, newer, bigger,
better) PC.  Same config.  Same problem.

Normally I wouldn't care, I'd just reconnect the thing,
but the application isn't for me, it's for other people
in the office that wouldn't have a clue what the problem
was.  They just want to press some buttons.

It seems to be more likely a problem on the ISP side
at this point, I think.  I think this because when I
come in in the morning, the first session always seems
to go swimmingly.  But then, when I start disconnecting
and reconnecting (sometimes very rapidly... btw, I
have diald installed on the machine, but I don't want
it to confuse the issue here because the problem remains
even when its not in use), it starts to fail.  Then..
oh.. let's say I go to lunch or something and come back,
it seems to work OK the first time.  But as soon as
I start* up and redialing back in, it starts to
go a little haywire.

BUT!  I have another ISP.  Netcom.  They have ISDN POPs
in California.  I'm in Maryland.  Nevertheless, to
try to narrow down the problem, I reconfigured the
diald/pppd setup to contact Netcom instead of ClarkNet.
Same dumb problem.  Seems to happen a little less
with Netcom, though.

This is really making me a little nutso.

Anyone have a similar story?

BTW, I'm not going to post any config files or debug
output here, because I know *I* wouldn't read the
files someone else posted (it's *wayyyyy* too boring)...
but if you think you can help and config files and/or
debug output is necessary, please ask me and I'll be happy
to send whatever.

Maybe I can also have a question answered.... the same
thing happens under W95 as well... are there any service
providers out there that can explain to my why disconnecting
and rapidly reconnecting to a POP could cause IP to
stop forwarding?

Thanks!
--
Chris McDonough -Technical Auditor; auditek, inc.
Bethesda MD -- http://www.veryComputer.com/

--
Chris McDonough -Technical Auditor; auditek, inc.
Bethesda MD -- http://www.veryComputer.com/

Prob: Linux/ISDN/pppd/ISP/reconnect

Post by Chris McDonoug » Mon, 18 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Neeeeevermind....

It turns out that the ISP requires a 90 second wait between sucessful
authentications.  I suggest that anyone with a similar problem increase
their between-call dial wait to at least 90 secs.  Or talk to your ISP to
see if they can reduce it on their end.

90 seconds is a long time when you're troubleshooting something.  Foiled by
speed.

Quote:> This is a repost, as I didn't see the original.  Sorry if this is 2nd
> [...]

> Anyone have a similar story?

> BTW, I'm not going to post any config files or debug
> output here, because I know *I* wouldn't read the
> files someone else posted (it's *wayyyyy* too boring)...
> but if you think you can help and config files and/or
> debug output is necessary, please ask me and I'll be happy
> to send whatever.

> Maybe I can also have a question answered.... the same
> thing happens under W95 as well... are there any service
> providers out there that can explain to my why disconnecting
> and rapidly reconnecting to a POP could cause IP to
> stop forwarding?

> Thanks!
> --
> Chris McDonough -Technical Auditor; auditek, inc.
> Bethesda MD -- http://www.veryComputer.com/

> --
> Chris McDonough -Technical Auditor; auditek, inc.

1. Prob: Connecting to ISP using pppd

Hello

I have Redhat 5.0, kernel 2.0.32, pppd 2.2.0.

After connecting to my ISP using minicom I exit without reseting modem and
type in:

pppd -d /dev/tttyS1 57600 &

My problem seems to be with this error "LCP: timeout sending
Config-Requests" but I have not been able to find anything in the HOWTO or
FAQ's or in the various books I have.

Thanks in advance

Larry McLemore

The following is from /var/log/messages
(at startup)
Oct 13 17:25:44 localhost kernel: Swansea University Computer Society
NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
Oct 13 17:25:44 localhost kernel: NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux
NET3.035.
Oct 13 17:25:44 localhost kernel: Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP
for NET3.034
Oct 13 17:25:44 localhost kernel: IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
Oct 13 17:25:44 localhost kernel: PPP Dynamic channel allocation code
copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
Oct 13 17:25:44 localhost kernel: PPP line discipline registered

(after typing pppd ....)
Oct 13 17:39:26 localhost kernel: Swansea University Computer Society IPX
0.34 for NET3.035
Oct 13 17:39:26 localhost kernel: IPX Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera,
Inc.
Oct 13 17:39:26 localhost kernel: Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
Oct 13 17:55:48 localhost kernel: PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel
allocation)
Oct 13 17:55:48 localhost kernel: PPP Dynamic channel allocation code
copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
Oct 13 17:55:48 localhost kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
Oct 13 17:55:48 localhost kernel: registered device ppp0
Oct 13 17:55:48 localhost pppd[400]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
Oct 13 17:55:48 localhost pppd[400]: Using interface ppp0
Oct 13 17:55:48 localhost pppd[400]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
Oct 13 17:55:54 localhost kernel: Swansea University Computer Society IPX
0.34 for NET3.035
Oct 13 17:55:54 localhost kernel: IPX Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera,
Inc.
Oct 13 17:55:54 localhost kernel: Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
Oct 13 17:56:18 localhost pppd[400]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Oct 13 17:56:18 localhost pppd[400]: Connection terminated.
Oct 13 17:56:28 localhost pppd[400]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
Oct 13 17:56:28 localhost pppd[400]: ioctl(TIOCNXCL): Input/output error
Oct 13 17:56:28 localhost pppd[400]: Exit.
Oct 13 17:58:19 localhost kernel: PPP: ppp line discipline successfully
unregistered

2. is it possible to see the symbols in kernel image?

3. pppd slow start, & ISDN probs

4. Reading files from samba-server is very slow

5. ISP connection: starting PPPD on ISP's machine

6. Realtime under SOLARIS 2.4

7. Reconnecting to ISP

8. Sendmail Crack? New POP3 account appeared in /var/spool/mail

9. RH5.1, 3com clinet ISDN and Ascend 50 Server ISDN probs

10. Automatic reconnect PPP to ISP

11. Check for dropped ISP line and reconnecting

12. How to enable PPPD reconnected automatically after modem disconnect ?

13. Leased Line pppd will not reconnect itself HELP!