Windows 2000 Vpn server behind Linux firewall

Windows 2000 Vpn server behind Linux firewall

Post by Evert Dieperi » Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:33:28

How can I configure my Redhat 7.1 firewall to forward VPN connections
to a Windows 2000 server in the internal network? I already use
iptables to redirect web pages. (port 80).

Thanks in advance,

Evert Dieperink

Ps. Can you please mail me if you post an answer?

Windows 2000 Vpn server behind Linux firewall

Post by John Henriksso » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 01:18:19

Since iptables have no problem of redirecting IP protocols you can redirect
PPTP (if that is what you are using) by directing IP protocol 47 and TCP
port 1723. Read the manpage for information on how to redirect the ip
protocol. I could send you my scripts if you don't figure it out.

Good luck!

/John Henriksson

Quote:> How can I configure my Redhat 7.1 firewall to forward VPN connections
> to a Windows 2000 server in the internal network? I already use
> iptables to redirect web pages. (port 80).

Windows 2000 Vpn server behind Linux firewall

Post by Tobias Schen » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 07:01:04

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:18:19 -0000, "John Henriksson"

>Since iptables have no problem of redirecting IP protocols you can redirect
>PPTP (if that is what you are using) by directing IP protocol 47 and TCP
>port 1723. Read the manpage for information on how to redirect the ip
>protocol. I could send you my scripts if you don't figure it out.

For security reasons it is not recommended to do so. Could you avoid
this by using ssh tunneling? I know it is not as seemless as PPTP but
it is an advantage to security.
We use ssh tunneling for http, file transfering and mail access. This
is enough service for us. Our members at home or on travels dont need
the whole domain stuff etc.

Tobias

1. FTP server behind linux firewall communicating w/ FTP behind linux firewall

I have a Windows-based FTP server (G6) behind a linux firewall box
running ipchain and ipmasqadm portfw rules to enable communication
with the out side world. I can connect to this server from the
outside, but PASV doesn't work. I have rules that allow ports above
1023 for the PASV traffic and I also had put the FTP server on a
haigher port other than 21.  I portfw'd the same port through to the
internal Windows machine running the ftp server as well as forwarding
the ftp-data. I have the ip_masq_ftp module loaded. I'm not sure why
PASV doesn't work.

Also, the other thing I'm trying to get working is communicating with
this same FTP server from a client within another linux-firewalled
(also using ipchains and portfw rules) LAN. I can connect, but can't
get any data transfers going, including directory listings, using
either PASV or regular FTP. I'm not sure if I should be forwarding
ftp-data to the internal machine running the ftp client.

What I ultimately want to do is be able to connect from a client
within on linux firewalled LAN to an ftp server inside another linux
firewalled LAN on a non-standard port and using PASV if possible. Any
help would be appreciated.

2. Leading tab in make action lines?

3. NT VPN server behind Linux firewall.. help?

4. 3Com 590, setup question

5. Help: VPN server behind Linux firewall..

6. please help me get my modem working

7. Wishlists for Linux AND Windows 2000 (was Re: Wishlists for Linux (vs) Windows 2000)

8. Emacs on new installation

9. Windows XP VPN server behind Linux gateway

10. WINDOWS 2003 VPN SERVER BEHIND LINUX GATEWAY

11. Can't reach MS VPN server behind IPTABLES firewall

12. VPN server behind firewall

13. Unable to access my VPN server from behind the firewall (ipf)