DNS relations (hurry!)

Post by Massimilian » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi everybody.
I'm preparing a DNS for my company.
(Nearly everything is set up, the zones are OK and so on.
In a few days I'll get a public address and put my DNS in the Internet,
and here it comes my question: is this enough to let anyone all over the
world connect to the servers I'm authoritative for?
I think I'll have to do something about zone transfert, but any help
would really be appreciated.
Thanks

DNS relations (hurry!)

Post by Lew Pitch » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>Hi everybody.
>I'm preparing a DNS for my company.
>(Nearly everything is set up, the zones are OK and so on.
>In a few days I'll get a public address and put my DNS in the Internet,
>and here it comes my question: is this enough to let anyone all over the
>world connect to the servers I'm authoritative for?
>I think I'll have to do something about zone transfert, but any help
>would really be appreciated.
>Thanks

When you have registered your domain-name, you supplied two IP addresses for
your DNS server. These IP addresses have to be the address(es) of your root DNS
server(s). If they point to your new server (or it's slave), then you are in
business, and no further announcements are necessary. However, if your DNS
record doesn't point to your new DNS server, then you have to inform your
registrar that their DNS record(s) need to be updated. They will need the IP
addresses of your public DNS server(s), and will update their pointers
accordingly.

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

DNS relations (hurry!)

Post by Cowles, Stev » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi everybody.
> I'm preparing a DNS for my company.
> (Nearly everything is set up, the zones are OK and so on.
> In a few days I'll get a public address and put my DNS in the Internet,
> and here it comes my question: is this enough to let anyone all over the
> world connect to the servers I'm authoritative for?
> I think I'll have to do something about zone transfert, but any help
> would really be appreciated.
> Thanks

When you regsitered your domain, you should have listed (at least) two IP
addresses that designate the Nameservers (NS records). One of those IP
address needs to be the primary (master) NS and the other needs to be
secondary (slave) NS. As far as the zone definitions, they will be identical
except the secondary will pull its zone definition from the primary. You
will always make changes to the "primary" DNS server which will then
replicate those changes to the secondary. This master/slave designation is
accomplished by how you load your zone definition in your named.conf file.

Example:
---- primary/master DNS server named.conf ----------
zone "mydomain.com" IN {
        notify yes;
        type master;
        file "db.mydomain";
        allow-update { none; };
        allow-transfer { xxx.xxx.xxx.2; }; ( Restrict zone transfers to IP
address of secondary/slave)

Quote:};

---- secondary/slave DNS server named.conf ----------
zone "mydomain.com" IN {
        notify no;
        type slave;
        file "db.mydomain";
        masters { xxx.xxx.xxx.1; }; (IP address of primary/master above)

Quote:};

Steve Cowles

1. Relation between ICMP and DNS servers?

i am in a private network wich is connected to internet through a
router.
all internal computers are configured with 192.168.6.X series and
gateway as router ip(192.168.6.1) . and DNS server number is set to an
externel(internet) DNS server.
we have 2 DNS server(DNS1,DNS2)
presently i am using NTOP in my linux ox. when i see the statistics of
data received for say 1hr, most trafic is to that DNS servers with
ICMP protocol.

for example this is the data i got.
HOST           ----DATA---       TCP         UDP        ICMP
DNS1           57.8 MB   16.1%   0         48.2 KB    57.7 MB
DNS2           57.7 MB   16.1%   0         49.7 KB    57.7 MB
192.168.6.9    3.6 MB    1.0%    3.5 MB    17.6 KB    4.8 KB
192.168.6.41   3.0 MB    0.8%    3.0 MB    6.4 KB     378
192.168.6.33   1.9 MB    0.5%    1.9 MB    3.3 KB     304

what i want to know is
1.why DNS server is taking such a bandwidth?
2.what is ICMP protocol? for what it is used?
3.can i setup any internel DNS server?(not for internal hosts,say to
resolve yahoo.com) so that i can reduce my out going bandwidth?

thank you for any help,
rajesh

2. problems with gprof (1) on SunOS 4.1.1

3. A little bit hurry, is Traxdata 12832 CD burner working with linux ?

4. Need recommendations on 10/100 NIC.

5. A chroot Help!!! Hurry!!!

6. Setting up two E2112 ethernet cards

7. When running a stable system like Linux there is no hurry to upgrade...

8. ntfs and redh hat 6.2 kernel 2.2.14-5

9. To the communities, please hurry and put a stake in the heart of MS POS...

10. Need to make systems secure in a hurry !

11. Corel hurries to fix another Linux Security hole

12. Help with SB16 / Nec 271 CR DROM Hurry Please!

13. Must replace Cisco with Linux in a hurry