External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by M » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:31:50



Greetings,

   I can ping the DNS server from my Windows XP home edition client
but nslookup (any name resolution) does not work! The server is a
Redhat Linux 7.2 box. If I boot the server with Windoz 2000 server
everything works fine because Windoz is running a DNS server. I tried
starting a DNS server on RH as well but I am positive its NOT working.
I have the client TCP/IP setup correctly to use the first two ip addr.
of the outside DNS server and the third is the ip of the
gateway/server (W2K or Linux). The question though is this - Why can't
I use an outside existing DNS server and what could I possibly be
doing wrong on the client?

Thank you,
Prasad

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by bens » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:12:34


[Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:31:50 +0000] quoth MK:

Quote:> Greetings,

>    I can ping the DNS server from my Windows XP home edition client
> but nslookup (any name resolution) does not work! The server is a
> Redhat Linux 7.2 box. If I boot the server with Windoz 2000 server
> everything works fine because Windoz is running a DNS server. I tried

  Check your firewall rules (ipchains/iptables) on your redhat DNS box and
  ensure it is allowing udp access to port 53 of whichever interface
  you have the dns server bound to.

  confirm the DNS service is functioning correctly by running the
  following from the console/terminal:


Quote:> starting a DNS server on RH as well but I am positive its NOT working.
> I have the client TCP/IP setup correctly to use the first two ip addr.
> of the outside DNS server and the third is the ip of the
> gateway/server (W2K or Linux). The question though is this - Why can't
> I use an outside existing DNS server and what could I possibly be
> doing wrong on the client?

  I haven't really followed what your problem is here. you should try not
  to use nslookup as a testing tool, but if you must, make sure you
  explicitly set the server you are querying to prevent nslookup taking
  one of your servers from your DNS settings in your TCP/IP configuration.

Quote:> Thank you,
> Prasad

  Good luck.
  B

  ps. * crossposting!

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by M » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:41:19


The following is the result of 'nslookup www.yahoo.com' from the
client:
*** Can't find server name for address 10.0.1.50: No response from
server
*** Can't find server name for address 10.0.1.51: No response from
server
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1: No response from
server
*** Default servers are not available
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  10.0.1.50

*** UnKnown can't find www.yahoo.com: No response from server
--------------
I know the 10.0.1.50/51 work because the work when I use the W2K
server and even from the RH Linux server.

Could somebody please help me.
Thank you,
Prasad


> Greetings,

>    I can ping the DNS server from my Windows XP home edition client
> but nslookup (any name resolution) does not work! The server is a
> Redhat Linux 7.2 box. If I boot the server with Windoz 2000 server
> everything works fine because Windoz is running a DNS server. I tried
> starting a DNS server on RH as well but I am positive its NOT working.
> I have the client TCP/IP setup correctly to use the first two ip addr.
> of the outside DNS server and the third is the ip of the
> gateway/server (W2K or Linux). The question though is this - Why can't
> I use an outside existing DNS server and what could I possibly be
> doing wrong on the client?

> Thank you,
> Prasad

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by Michael Buchenriede » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 04:53:33


[Non-existant group col.redhat removed; Newsgroups: line edited]


>The following is the result of 'nslookup www.yahoo.com' from the
>client:
>*** Can't find server name for address 10.0.1.50: No response from
>server
>*** Can't find server name for address 10.0.1.51: No response from
>server
>*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1: No response from
>server
>*** Default servers are not available
>Server:  UnKnown
>Address:  10.0.1.50
>*** UnKnown can't find www.yahoo.com: No response from server
>--------------
>I know the 10.0.1.50/51 work because the work when I use the W2K
>server and even from the RH Linux server.

[...]

First of all, check your firewall settings.
Second, please don't top-post.
Third, please learn to set a FollowUp-To: header if you really
have to crosspost an article.

It would probably be a good idea to check whether or not the DNS
server is running at all on your RH box - and if it is, whether
it correctly answers incoming requests. Try "dig".

Michael
--

          Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
    Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by Fernando Go » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:03:09



Quote:>I have the client TCP/IP setup correctly to use the first two ip addr.
>of the outside DNS server and the third is the ip of the
>gateway/server (W2K or Linux). The question though is this - Why can't
>I use an outside existing DNS server and what could I possibly be
>doing wrong on the client?

I'm confused about your setup.
You have two machines. One of them is a client, and the other is a DNS
server that can boot either Windows or Linux.

You've configured your client so that it uses the Linux host as its
DNS server. This Linux host is multihomed, and you have put its two IP
addresses in the DNS configuration of your client.

What's the third address?

Could you clarify your setup? (Hosts, IP addresses, what software/OS
you run on them, how they are connected together, etc.)

--
Fernando Gont

[To send a personal reply, please remove the ANTISPAM tag]

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by M » Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:09:08


The firewall was not setup correctly to allow TCP on port 53. I fixed
it with lokkit. So I can now access the internet from the client
machine.

Fernando, sorry to confuse you but the setup was thus:
SETUP: Desktop machine(GWAY) connected to the internet. I have been
assigned a
static ip (10.50.81.10) mac addr. based. The desktop(GWAY) has two
ethernet cards. I have set up a local lan with the second card and
another desktop(CLIENT) using a twisted cable.

Everything was working fine on the CLIENT if GWAY was started with W2K
server but if I started RH Linux on GWAY, I could ping the DNS of my
cable guy from the CLIENT but couldn't do a nslookup (dig isn't
available on Win XP!) nor could I do any browsing or other internet
stuff so...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions that everybody offered. Thanks a
lot again.

regards,
PRasad



> >I have the client TCP/IP setup correctly to use the first two ip addr.
> >of the outside DNS server and the third is the ip of the
> >gateway/server (W2K or Linux). The question though is this - Why can't
> >I use an outside existing DNS server and what could I possibly be
> >doing wrong on the client?

> I'm confused about your setup.
> You have two machines. One of them is a client, and the other is a DNS
> server that can boot either Windows or Linux.

> You've configured your client so that it uses the Linux host as its
> DNS server. This Linux host is multihomed, and you have put its two IP
> addresses in the DNS configuration of your client.

> What's the third address?

> Could you clarify your setup? (Hosts, IP addresses, what software/OS
> you run on them, how they are connected together, etc.)

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by Fernando Go » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:02:14



Quote:>The firewall was not setup correctly to allow TCP on port 53. I fixed
>it with lokkit. So I can now access the internet from the client
>machine.

You mean *UDP* port 53, don't you?

--
Fernando Gont

[To send a personal reply, please remove the ANTISPAM tag]

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by Randy Ryde » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:32:33


zone xfers are done on tcp ports, queries on udp


> >The firewall was not setup correctly to allow TCP on port 53. I fixed
> >it with lokkit. So I can now access the internet from the client
> >machine.

> You mean *UDP* port 53, don't you?

> --
> Fernando Gont

> [To send a personal reply, please remove the ANTISPAM tag]

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by dda11d.. » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:37:00


|zone xfers are done on tcp ports, queries on udp
|
|> You mean *UDP* port 53, don't you?

In addition, results that won't fit into a UDP packet are retried using
TCP, there's a code to indicate result truncated.

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 23:45:59




>|zone xfers are done on tcp ports, queries on udp
>|
>|> You mean *UDP* port 53, don't you?

>In addition, results that won't fit into a UDP packet are retried using
>TCP, there's a code to indicate result truncated.

But since almost all results of normal queries *do* fit, that's unlikely to
have been the OP's problem.

So I'm also curious why opening TCP rather than UDP would have been the
OP's solution.

--

Genuity, Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by 3f63.. » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 23:52:23


|>In addition, results that won't fit into a UDP packet are retried using
|>TCP, there's a code to indicate result truncated.
|
|But since almost all results of normal queries *do* fit, that's unlikely to
|have been the OP's problem.

Wasn't attempting to solve the OP's problem, just clarifying the
previous poster's point about TCP. Not everybody realises that DNS falls
back to TCP when the result won't fit.

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by Fernando Go » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 09:38:57



>Wasn't attempting to solve the OP's problem, just clarifying the
>previous poster's point about TCP. Not everybody realises that DNS falls
>back to TCP when the result won't fit.

My point was, as Barry said, that the OP's solution should have been
enabling *UDP* port 53.

--
Fernando Gont

[To send a personal reply, please remove the ANTISPAM tag]

 
 
 

External DNS doesn't work for Win XP client thru RH 7.2 server!

Post by glen herrmannsfeld » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 11:20:29





> >|zone xfers are done on tcp ports, queries on udp
> >|
> >|> You mean *UDP* port 53, don't you?

> >In addition, results that won't fit into a UDP packet are
retried using
> >TCP, there's a code to indicate result truncated.

> But since almost all results of normal queries *do* fit, that's
unlikely to
> have been the OP's problem.

> So I'm also curious why opening TCP rather than UDP would have
been the
> OP's solution.

Well, www.yahoo.com seems to have 9 IP addresses.

But also I know of some NAT routers that enable port forwarding for
TCP and UDP together.  It is all or nothing.  It seems like a bug
to me, and I even tried to report it, but they aren't interested in
changing it.  Many port assignments in /etc/services have both TCP
and UDP assigned, even though the service only uses one.

-- glen

 
 
 

1. FTP on client Win XP doesn't work.

Hello,
  Setup: Redhat Linux 7.2 server/gateway.

  I am able to login into the server but issueing a 'dir' command on
the client doesn't work. It waits for some time and then I get the
message that the remote machine closed connection.

  If I try the same site from the server. Everything works fine.

  I tried adding the following in the /etc/sysconfig/ipchains of the
server but that didn't work either.
-A input -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 0/0 21 -j REJECT
-A input -p tcp -s 0/0 -d 0/0 20 -j REJECT

Please help/advice,
Thank you,
Prasad

2. X-Windows library and path problems.

3. USB keyboard/mouse doesn't work with RH 7.2

4. Apache/php/mysql building everything for Linux?

5. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

6. ANNOUNCE: Janitor weekend!

7. Error with XFree

8. Win XP upgrade vs. RH 7.2 Upgrade

9. How to access to C: drive in win XP from RH 7.2

10. openH323 module still doesn't work on my RedHat 7.2 NAT server...

11. RH 7.2 Won't play sound nor mount CD's

12. RH 7.2 PPTP client -> Win 2K