Help, NIS passwd map not working

Post by Thorsten Kuk » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I had a linux machine running 1.3.71. The yp-clients is of version 2-2. According to the README file, i should have +:*:0:0::: in my /etc/passwd file, which i did, but ->SOME<- users with correct password still cannot login (some can). It also says that the configuration is for libc-4.5.26 only, how do i find out the version of my libc?  Is there a later version of software (ypbind or libc or other) that solve the NIS problem?

Break your lines after 80 characters the next time, please!

You could get your libc version bye
ls -alF /lib/libc*

There are files like libc.so.5.3.12 or so.
I think you have a newer libc, and you have to remove the '*' from
the /etc/passwd file. But this stands in the release notes from
yp-clients 2.2.

  Thorsten

: Thanks in advance.

--

                http://www-vt.uni-paderborn.de/~kukuk
It's not too late to turn back from the "Gates" of Hell...

Post by Tan How Ch » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I had a linux machine running 1.3.71. The yp-clients is of version 2-2. According to the README file, i should have +:*:0:0::: in my /etc/passwd file, which i did, but ->SOME<- users with correct password still cannot login (some can). It also says that the configuration is for libc-4.5.26 only, how do i find out the version of my libc?  Is there a later version of software (ypbind or libc or other) that solve the NIS problem?
Thanks in advance.

Help, NIS passwd map not working

Post by Tan How Ch » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

With or without the * in +:*:0:0:::, some people can login and some still cannot login. I even try with just a + and +::::::
ls -alF /lib/libc* doesnt show me the version, anyway i have obtained
libc-4-6-27.  Do i need to regenerate my kernel or recompile my yp-clients with this new lib?
Anyone know of any patches or solutions to the yp problem? I am using
ypbind-2.99beta.

Thanks
Regards,

> : I had a linux machine running 1.3.71. The yp-clients is of version 2-2. According to the README file, i should have +:*:0:0::: in my /etc/passwd file, which i did, but ->SOME<- users with correct password still cannot login (some can). It also says that the configuration is for libc-4.5.26 only, how do i find out the version of my libc?  Is there a later version of software (ypbind or libc or other) that solve the NIS problem?
> Break your lines after 80 characters the next time, please!
> You could get your libc version bye
> ls -alF /lib/libc*
> There are files like libc.so.5.3.12 or so.
> I think you have a newer libc, and you have to remove the '*' from
> the /etc/passwd file. But this stands in the release notes from
> yp-clients 2.2.
>   Thorsten
> : Thanks in advance.
> --

>                 http://www-vt.uni-paderborn.de/~kukuk
> It's not too late to turn back from the "Gates" of Hell...
> Use Linux, the free 32-bit operating system.

Help, NIS passwd map not working

Post by Jimmy Hedm » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I had a linux machine running 1.3.71. The yp-clients is of version 2-2. According to the README
> file, i should have +:*:0:0::: in my /etc/passwd file, which i did, but ->SOME<- users with

I only added '+' in my /etc/passwd and /etc/group. In my README file that came with
slackware 3.0 there where this entry.

Quote:> correct password still cannot login (some can). It also says that the configuration is for
> libc-4.5.26 only, how do i find out the version of my libc?  Is there a later version of software
> (ypbind or libc or other) that solve the NIS problem?
> Thanks in advance.

---
Jimmy Hedman, System Manager
Erisoft AB

--
---
Jimmy Hedman, System Manager
Erisoft AB

1. Help, NIS passwd map not working

I had a linux machine running 1.3.71. The yp-clients is of version 2-2. According to the README file, i should have +:*:0:0::: in my /etc/passwd file, which i did, but ->SOME<- users with correct password still cannot login (some can). It also says that the configuration is for libc-4.5.26 only, how do i find out the version of my libc?  Is there a later version of software (ypbind or libc or other) that solve the NIS problem?
Thanks in advance.

2. 3.5" floppy problem - fdformat

3. Need suggestions for passwd map when sharing NIS maps in multiple domains.

4. looking for ideas on implementing a circular log

5. Why doesn't passwd/yppasswd update NIS passwd maps?

6. STREAMS and ioctl

7. changing passwd on NIS server updates /etc/shadow only and not shadow.byname map

8. xvtdl under RedHat

9. passwd command does not update shadow.byname NIS map

10. nis master on Solaris 2.X, with passwd map not showing root entry

11. NIS+ NIS compatibility mode and the 'passwd' map

12. Problems with passwd map in NIS (or YP), Need help/advice?

13. RH, NIS, + in /etc/passwd not working