rpc.nfsd

Post by Bobby Walke » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I had nfsd and mountd working until the other night when I upgraded with
redhat's rpm the glibc.  now the only message it sends is

Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receivel errno = Connection
refused

and in /var/log/messages

May 31 03:59:17 carie nfsd[1316]: unable to register (nfsd, 2, upd).

I have absolutely no idea what could cause this or how to fix it.  can
anyone offer some suggestions?  I have 2 NFSroot machines that can not run
until I have this fixed. :(

rpc.nfsd

Post by Laurence Brockma » Thu, 04 Jun 1998 04:00:00

If you get an email for the answer to this question can you post it here? I'm
also having the same problem since upgrading.

Laurence

--
Legal Warning: Do NOT send unsolicited commercial
email to me - consider this as an official notice:

   "By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer
    meets the definition of a telephone fax machine.  By
Sec.227(b)(1)(C),
    it is UNLAWFUL to send any unsolicited adverti*t to such
equipment.
    By Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
    PUNISHABLE by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
    whichever is greater, for each violation."

1. How to use rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

[Q2] Stupid but non-FAQ NFS question #2:
Thanks for the help of finding out the rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rcp.nfsd.
Still, after reading the NFS-FAQ, Linux Network Admin Guide, none of these guys
seem to work at all.  I still get the message of RPC fault: program is not
registered.  I guess I really need a cookbook example.

Let's say I have machines A and B which both of them can telnet and ftp to each
other.  In other words, they are properly connected.  Now, this is how I did.
I add three statements at the begninning of the rc.inet2 at machine A:

/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
/bin/mount -t nfs B:/home /mnt

Then, I add /mnt B[rw] at /etc/exports at machine A.
Then, reboot machine A, and it prompts RPC fault: program is not registered.
Can anyone provide me an idiot-proof way of attacking this?  Thanks.
BTW, someone mention "premeter".  What is that?

--

Salem

2. USB

3. Where are rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

4. Differences between the distributions (FAQ starter)

5. Dangers of rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd

6. Can't Login to X

7. nfsd: Problem with corrupt files and dying rpc.nfsd with Redhat Linux 5.1 + Solaris 2.5

8. Setting up Internet on a RH 7 server

9. rpc.moutnd & rpc.nfsd not spawned

10. rpc.nfsd: cannot register service: rpc: timed out

11. rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd won't start from rsh

12. pre2.0.7-8 break rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd

13. RH-6.1: rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd NOT running!