Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

Post by Richard A. Bilonic » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:36:01



I hope there is some way to get mail from a MS Exchange server from a
Linux workstation. Could anyone tell me how to do this?

--

 
 
 

Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

Post by James Gra » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:31:32


Assuming your Exchange (5.x or higher) server is configured properly it
should support IMAP and POP3.  Keep in mind though that if you use POP3 you
may want to leave your messages of the server if you access your exchange
server from different locations/PC's.  Alternatively you could ask you
admins to set up exchange webmail - works great!  (Well for a Microshaft
product anyway - if they stuck to the standards you wouldn't be posting your
original message eh?)

Cheers,

James



> I hope there is some way to get mail from a MS Exchange server from a
> Linux workstation. Could anyone tell me how to do this?

> --



 
 
 

Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

Post by Richard A. Bilonic » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:40:15


Thanks for the info.

They haven't yet migrated to the Exchange server. Do they have to do something
special to enable POP3 and/or IMAP? Does Exchange use some sort of proprietary
format to exclude anything but a windows-based machine?

Rick


> Assuming your Exchange (5.x or higher) server is configured properly it
> should support IMAP and POP3.  Keep in mind though that if you use POP3 you
> may want to leave your messages of the server if you access your exchange
> server from different locations/PC's.  Alternatively you could ask you
> admins to set up exchange webmail - works great!  (Well for a Microshaft
> product anyway - if they stuck to the standards you wouldn't be posting your
> original message eh?)

> Cheers,

> James



> > I hope there is some way to get mail from a MS Exchange server from a
> > Linux workstation. Could anyone tell me how to do this?

> > --


--

 
 
 

Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

Post by Juergen Pfan » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:52:40



> Thanks for the info.

> They haven't yet migrated to the Exchange server. Do they have to do something
> special to enable POP3 and/or IMAP? Does Exchange use some sort of proprietary
> format to exclude anything but a windows-based machine?

Which MTA are "they" (who?) using now ?
- But anyway, with Exchange 5.x, POP3 and IMAP4 are enabled with the
default
installation. To access your (NT user's) mailbox via POP, simply
configure
your mail user agent under any operating system for your (NT) password
BUT not your NT user name, but the "alias" of the mailbox; you might
have to ask "them" for the alias which is one of (very many) entries in
the properties dialog of your mailbox in Exchange Administrator.
The format of the messages itself is normally not configured
server-wide,
but by the sender's mail client. "Of course" this is a weird
"RTF"/"TNEF"
by default in MS Outlook (Express)...
In summary, as a "mere" MTA, Exchange is of course adherent to the
relevant RFCs, but administration is a horror trip - not *despite*
but *just because* of the GUI :-)).
I'd rather edit "sendmail.cf" than that...

Juergen

 
 
 

Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

Post by Kevi » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 06:05:17


I use fetchmail, http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail

G'luck....



Quote:> I hope there is some way to get mail from a MS Exchange server from a
> Linux workstation. Could anyone tell me how to do this?

--
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my personal
opinions and not those of any organization with which I may be affiliated.
 
 
 

Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

Post by Marcelo A Yezz » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:55:49


You can algo configure Netscape to fetch your mail. M$ Exchange has both
pop3 and an IMAP4 server capabilities. If your Exchange has good backup
I would recomend using IMAP with Netscape.

> I use fetchmail, http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail

> G'luck....



>> I hope there is some way to get mail from a MS Exchange server from a
>> Linux workstation. Could anyone tell me how to do this?

 
 
 

Getting Mail from MS Exchange Server

Post by Richard A. Bilonic » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:44:24


Thanks to everyone who responded.

I use Netscape and pop3 now from the current server. My fear was that
whoever sets up the server won't enable pop3 (or some other thing like
imap). Apparently I can use fetchmail which supports just about every
method of handling e-mail including MS specific formats. So I guess I'm
covered no matter what happens. (If I said the people who control the
computer systems at this organization were brain dead, it would be an
insult to the brain dead.)

Rick


> You can algo configure Netscape to fetch your mail. M$ Exchange has both
> pop3 and an IMAP4 server capabilities. If your Exchange has good backup
> I would recomend using IMAP with Netscape.


> > I use fetchmail, http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail

> > G'luck....



> >> I hope there is some way to get mail from a MS Exchange server from a
> >> Linux workstation. Could anyone tell me how to do this?

--

Statistical Consulting for Business & Industry
"Where statistics help is as close as the Internet."
http://www.nauticom.net/usrs/rab/
 
 
 

1. Linux mail server with MS-Mail/Exchange

  We have MS-Mail server on a Netware 3.12 box with Win 3.1 MS-Mail and
Win95 Exchange/Message Service (they changed the name mid-stream...)
clients and are looking at how to lash this up with a Linux box acting as
firewall/mail-server connected via frame relay to an ISP. We're also
looking at adding an NT box with Back Office, including Exchange Server.

  Anyone have any experience with any of this who would like to share
their experience and knowledge? I would also greatly appreciate any
pointers to relevant reference materials, especially of a tutorial nature.

  Thanks.

--
Jim Holbach                          |    The more I know,

San Antonio, TX                      |

2. problems with nohup

3. Getting MS Exchange Mail on Linux?

4. LInuxBIos

5. HELP: MS Exchange getting mail from Qmail and dialup ISDN.

6. Tape question

7. Getting MS Exchange mail under Linux

8. Correct Trademark Citation for UNIX

9. Linux Firewalls, MS Proxy Server and MS Exchange Server

10. Forwarding Linux mail to MS SMTP/Exchange server

11. Problem sending smtp unix mail through MS Exchange server to outside

12. mail client/server with MS Exchange

13. Linux Exchange/MS Mail clients and servers