DHCP ip address vs static ip

Post by Oleg » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I am trying to connect from work to home with ssh,but at home i have
network configured to obtain ip with DHCP,so ssh hangs up when i connect
to my static ip ... When trying to connect to dynamic assigned ip
everything works fine.
The problem is when i'm trying configure network to work with static ip,
i have something like
"foo.com-bad name" after telnet or ssh to it and when trying to add
default gateway-"SIOCADDRT:network is unreachable"...
Any help very much appreciated.

DHCP ip address vs static ip

Post by Samuel Tra » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I don't really get what you meant ?

Can you explain please ?

Sam

Quote:> I am trying to connect from work to home with ssh,but at home i have
> network configured to obtain ip with DHCP,so ssh hangs up when i connect
> to my static ip ... When trying to connect to dynamic assigned ip
> everything works fine.
> The problem is when i'm trying configure network to work with static ip,
> i have something like
> "foo.com-bad name" after telnet or ssh to it and when trying to add
> default gateway-"SIOCADDRT:network is unreachable"...
> Any help very much appreciated.

DHCP ip address vs static ip

Post by Peter Mitchel » Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Is it to do with the name not being identified? Can you ping
to the IP number?

Good luck

Peter

1. Redhat 8/9 DHCP vs static IP address

I'm stumped. My Redhat 9 system uses a Realtek 8139 NIC and
it works fine when DHCP serves up the IP address. I recently
got a permanent address assigned and it gets "Destination
Host Unreachable" when I try to ping an IP address on the
same subnet. I did a full install of the OS, specifying
the IP address etc at that time. This problem also occurs
on Redhat 8. Any ideas?

Hal

2. 320x240 X modeline

3. Newbie: How do I change NIC from a static IP to recieve a DHCP IP

4. X-Windows administration

5. DHCP IP / Static IP

6. HOW MUCH IS SOLARIS FOR INTEL?

7. Static IP address from Dynamic IP

8. Disk Space gone missing?

9. NAT and STatic IP addressing with ip

10. Turning a dynaimic IP address into a virtually static IP

11. Static IP vs Dynamic IP

12. Static IP addresses in a DHCP environment

13. dhcp server and static ip address...