HOW? Linux as IP/IPX router

Post by Mr Wah Ch » Wed, 28 Dec 1994 23:22:48

I would like to set up a Linux as a router connecting 3 LAN segments that
need to run both IP and IPX traffic.  Anyone knows where can I get find
the appropriate s/w on the NET?

--
Johnny

*************************** Johnny Chan **********************************

Jesus is my savior, and He can be yours, too. !!!!!!!

HOW? Linux as IP/IPX router

Post by Pete Kruckenbe » Thu, 29 Dec 1994 07:18:34

: I would like to set up a Linux as a router connecting 3 LAN segments that
: need to run both IP and IPX traffic.  Anyone knows where can I get find
: the appropriate s/w on the NET?

Right now, Linux will really only route IP. Setting that up is covered
in the NET2-HowTo (posted in this newsgroup recently, or available at
the usual places). There is some code (on sunsite, I think) for
routing IPX between eth0 and eth1, but it is barely a
proof-of-concept, and needs a lot of work.

However, I'd assume that you'd be using your IPX (hopefully Netware)
server to route IPX between the segments, and Linux as the IP router
(that's how I do it, on three segments). There is no problem running
both IPX and IP on the same segment(s).

Another good book that helped me with getting this set up is _TCP/IP
Administration_ from O'Reilly and Associates (try ftp to ftp.ora.com).

Pete Kruckenberg

HOW? Linux as IP/IPX router

Post by Unitrendix Co » Thu, 05 Jan 1995 05:01:06

>: I would like to set up a Linux as a router connecting 3 LAN segments that
>: need to run both IP and IPX traffic.  Anyone knows where can I get find
>: the appropriate s/w on the NET?
>Right now, Linux will really only route IP. Setting that up is covered
>in the NET2-HowTo (posted in this newsgroup recently, or available at
>the usual places). There is some code (on sunsite, I think) for
>routing IPX between eth0 and eth1, but it is barely a
>proof-of-concept, and needs a lot of work.

That is not entirely true anymore.  Sombody just posted to sunsite (a few
days ago) a IPX router.  The Linux kernel ipx.c module has already
routing support.  (There are a couple of bugs or misfeatures that
are easly fixed).

In order to let Linux act as a real IPX router you need to have a
RIP and SAP agent.  The software in /pub/Linux/Incoming/ipxripd-002.tar.gz
does just that.

BTW, the code that was posted on sunsite before (ipxbridge).  Is just
a dumb bridge.  Not really production code.  It bridges only two ethernets
unlike the router with kernel support that will route trough any ethernet
card.

Caveats:  The ipx router works but it is still alpha code.  Also it
does not work over PPP links.  (NO kernel support for IPX over PPP yet)

HOW? Linux as IP/IPX router

Post by Terry Daws » Thu, 12 Jan 1995 12:12:57

>Right now, Linux will really only route IP. Setting that up is covered
>in the NET2-HowTo (posted in this newsgroup recently, or available at
>the usual places). There is some code (on sunsite, I think) for
>routing IPX between eth0 and eth1, but it is barely a
>proof-of-concept, and needs a lot of work.

The latest version lists the location of an IPX ripd/sapd
program which will allow linux to route IPX properly.

Terry

--

HOW? Linux as IP/IPX router

Post by Alan C » Sat, 21 Jan 1995 20:24:10

>Take ipxbridge from sunsite.unc.edu somehere near

/pub/Lunix/system/Networking/router.

Quote:>If there is any other routers, because this works not so good?

IPXripd and apply the patches with it or use a current kernel. This one is a
RIP router rather than a rip bridge. The current kernel should also be
reliable with the bridge thanks to some fixes to the byte counting code put in
the kernel by the people debugging CAP

Alan
--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`--[Anti Kibozing Signature]-'`----------------------------''
One two three: Kibo, Lawyer, Refugee :: Green card, Compaq come read me...

HOW? Linux as IP/IPX router

Post by Mark Eva » Sun, 29 Jan 1995 02:51:56

: eloquently stated..

: >IPXripd and apply the patches with it or use a current kernel. This one
: is a
: >RIP router rather than a rip bridge. The current kernel should also be
: >reliable with the bridge thanks to some fixes to the byte counting code
: put in
: >the kernel by the people debugging CAP
: >
: >Alan

: Has anyone managed to make this product PPP compatible yet?

The point is that you need the IPX/PPP NCP (Network Control
Protocol) and probably IPXWAN as well. RFC's exist for both of these.