Multi-homed traceroute weirdness

Post by Wouter de Waa » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi all

I have a Linux box with eth0, eth1 and ppp0. ppp0 is
obviously the link to the rest of the world (you :-)

And the routes are set up correctly, with ppp0 being the
default.

So, why is it that when I traceroute (from a shell on
said Linux box) to, say, www.netscape.com, the thing
wants to use eth0? Shouldn't it check the routing
tables?

Thanks

Wouter
CCII Systems net-dude

Multi-homed traceroute weirdness

Post by Loth » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00

doe een
    traceroute  -i  ppp0  <host>
en  probeer
    man  traceroute
voor meer uitleg.

> Hi all

> I have a Linux box with eth0, eth1 and ppp0. ppp0 is
> obviously the link to the rest of the world (you :-)

> And the routes are set up correctly, with ppp0 being the
> default.

> So, why is it that when I traceroute (from a shell on
> said Linux box) to, say, www.netscape.com, the thing
> wants to use eth0? Shouldn't it check the routing
> tables?

> Thanks

> Wouter
> CCII Systems net-dude

1. traceroute command work wrong in multi-homed machine.....

I've multihomed macine that has 2 NIC.[10.8.1.11 and 2XX.XX.XXX.XX.]

whenever i try doing traceroute 10.XX.XX.XX.
my computer traceroute with wrong nic.

# traceroute 10.8.1.11

traceroute to 10.8.1.11 (10.8.1.11), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
 1  * * *

OS version : 2.7   solaris 7

How can I fixed these problem without using traceroute -i  option.

Thanks you in advance.

2. SOLVED! Sun fast ethernet and Alantec

3. Strange Multi-homed Traceroute/Ping failure for some IPs on some routes

4. QUESTION: Metro-X config

5. ? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support

6. ethertop (or similar) for Solaris?

7. Apache httpd/multi-homed multi-ip addresses

8. Need program to call and update system time

9. HELP: proper way to ARP out a dummy multi-homed address

10. Multi-homed solaris services

11. arping confusion multi-homed private networks

12. Multi-homed FTP

13. multi-homed routing - how??