DHCP not working

Post by XaosSlaa » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

BTW 157.290 is a typo obviously since it cant exist 157.209.*.*

>Hi,

>I set up RedHat Linux 5.2 to dual boot on my desktop at work, and
everything
>works fine.  Even the networking works fine when I use a static IP address.
>here comes the interesting part......DHCP works great for NT and 95 on this
>PC (which is running 95 and linux) and all the other PC's in our building.
>However, I can not get DHCP to work with linux, it sits for awhile when
>booting up, says it failed to obtain an address (in so many words) and then
>moves on.
>Another thing, Can someone tell me what file contains the routing
>information, and how to set it up so that say everything that beings with
>167.290.*.* routes through eth0 and everything else via sl0 (will change to
>ppp0 once i get of slip to ppp)

>Thanks in advance.
>--XaosSlaad

DHCP not working

Post by XaosSlaa » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I set up RedHat Linux 5.2 to dual boot on my desktop at work, and everything
works fine.  Even the networking works fine when I use a static IP address.
here comes the interesting part......DHCP works great for NT and 95 on this
PC (which is running 95 and linux) and all the other PC's in our building.
However, I can not get DHCP to work with linux, it sits for awhile when
booting up, says it failed to obtain an address (in so many words) and then
moves on.
Another thing, Can someone tell me what file contains the routing
information, and how to set it up so that say everything that beings with
167.290.*.* routes through eth0 and everything else via sl0 (will change to
ppp0 once i get of slip to ppp)

Thanks in advance.
--XaosSlaad

1. DHCP not working when booting, works after login

Hi everybody,

I got a confusing problem. I have about ten almost identically set up X
terminals which use DHCP to set up their networking. Two of them are
causing me headaches. When booting they request an IP address from the DHCP
server, the server makes the correct offer, but they prefer not to
acknowledge and instead time out, leaving their network configuration
undone. If I then login and run "/etc/init.d/networking start" they
suddenly behave correctly and take the offered IP address from the server.

dhcpd.conf looks like this:

----cut----
group {
        use-host-decl-names on;
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;

        host hobbes {
                fixed-address hobbes;
                hardware ethernet 00:50:22:39:39:6C;
        }

        host kant {
                fixed-address kant;
                hardware ethernet 00:50:22:39:39:78;
        }

        host [...]

----cut----

All terminals have the same NIC (Realtek 8139) and run the same system and
kernel. Only those two are making trouble.

I'm running Debian unstable with dhcpd and dhcpcd (dhclient didn't work
neither).

I'd very much appreciate any hint on how I can find out what the problem is.

Thanks,

Severin

2. Ann: 'javadoc' like Documentation Generator For C++

3. Redhat 6.1 with 3C905B adapter & DHCP not working

4. RH 7.1, XDMCP

5. DHCP not working with Linksy LNE100TX v4.1 (AMDtek AL985 Centaur-P)

6. How can I change the cursor on GNOME?

7. pump+dhcp not working

8. Alternative to *Top* Command

9. DHCP not working....."Network is unreachable"

10. dhcp not working

11. DHCP not working

12. DHCP not working in kernel 2.2.x, was OK in 2.0.36

13. DHCP not working with new 2.2.1 kernel