Cable Modem Set-up? Help!!

Post by Davi » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 02:38:16

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could help me or send me to a website link that
will explain in good detail on setting up my cable modem with Comcast using
my Linux Box?  I am using SuSE 8.0 Pro.

ThX
Blade

Cable Modem Set-up? Help!!

Post by Jon Roo » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:39:22

> Hello,

> I was wondering if anybody could help me or send me to a website link that
> will explain in good detail on setting up my cable modem with Comcast using
> my Linux Box?  I am using SuSE 8.0 Pro.

> ThX
> Blade

The answer to this depends a lot on what your home network will look
like.  Do you have just one machine that you want to connect to the
cable modem, or are there more than one?

I would suggest that you go to the Linux Documentation Project website
(www.tldp.org) and read a few of the HOWTOs.  For a basic network with
just one machine tied to the cable modem, a couple that come to mind
are:

Networking-HOWTO
Ethernet_HOWTO
Cable-Modem-HOWTO

If you are going to network several machines and want to use your linux
box as a gateway/router/firewall then you will also want to read:

IP-Masquerade-HOWTO
Firewall-HOWTO

Good luck,
Jon