IP Forwarding.

Post by Frank Sweetse » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I have two networks which are working fine. I want to connect them
> and so have another linux box as a router. The router is compiled with
> IP_FORWARDING option on. The routers IP address is set as the gateway
> for the two networks. Now from the 2 networks I am able to ping the
> router and vice versa. The problem is I am unable to ping one network from
> the other. AM I missing something?
> Thanks
> S. Krishnan

I don't think that ip forwarding works with icmp, including pings.  Can you
telnet accross the gateway?

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

IP Forwarding.

Post by Brian McCaule » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I have two networks which are working fine. I want to connect them
> and so have another linux box as a router. The router is compiled with
> IP_FORWARDING option on.

Is it 2.1.x?  If so you must switch on IP_FORWARDING at runtime too
(see release notes).

Quote:> The routers IP address is set as the gateway for the two networks.

What (in terms of raw hard facts) do you mean by this statement?  The
most likely cause of the problem is that you have not completely and
correctly done this in both directions.

Quote:> AM I missing something?

Probably - but since you don't say what you've actually done it's hard
to say what you've missed.

1. IP forwarding is only good for port forwarding of only one IP ?

I have two IP from my provider ( or two web address) and only one isdn line.
With linux and only one IP, I can masquerade all my local network to use
only that one IP.
Perfect up to now.

Then I want to forward the other IP to a NT server inside my local network.
(like 2 company on the same network).

ipfwadm 2.30 with linux 2.0.36 can not do that, because nobody know how to
do it (I read a lot of HowTo).
or may be it's not possible with ipfwadm. All people think that nobody want
that.

is-it true ?

2. Port Monitor

3. ip-forwarding && dns-forwarding

4. X11 key bindings don't work

5. Q: Does IP forwarding forward ARP ?

6. cannot read news

7. Using "ipchains -P forward DENY" instead of disabling ip-forwarding?

8. CORBA-ORBit security

9. IP forwarding doesn't forward!!

10. IP Forwarding? IP Routing?

11. tcp / ip stack and ip forwarding questions

12. incomping IP and IP forwarding

13. IP forwarding & Masq from net to Private IP