NIS problems (at wit's end)

Post by Daryl Beatti » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:54:00

Dear Linux Networking people,

        I have been trying to install NIS on a simple network I run that
 has a server (hostname: www, ip: 192.168.0.1) and a workstation (hostname:
daryl, ip 192.168.0.2). It seems that although I have been through the howt
o many times, I still can't get ypbind to find the host. It keeps sayi
ng the following:

        parsing config file
        Trying entry: domain nisdarylbeattie server www
        parsed domain 'nisdarylbeattie' server 'www'
        add_server() domain: nisdarylbeattie, host: www, slot: 0
        Trying entry: domain nisdarylbeattie broadcast
        parsed domain 'nisdarylbeattie' broadcast
        add_server() domain: nisdarylbeattie, broadcast
        Trying entry: ypserver www
        parsed ypserver www
        add_server() domain: nisdarylbeattie, host: www, slot: 1
        [Welcome to ypbind-mt, version 1.11]

        ping host 'www', domain 'nisdarylbeattie'
        host 'www' doesn't answer.

Oh, the nis domain is called "nisdarylbeattie", as can be seen above.
        I think I have set everything up correctly... I've been over the se
ttings many times and tried many things, but no matter what it always seem
s that it can't connect to host www (I have renamed it, changed firewall se
ttings etc.).
        So, if there is anybody out there that can shed some light
 on my problem(s), I would GREALY appreciate it. I will provide any se
ttings information that is required upon request (so as not to flood this m
essage with garbage).
        I run RH7.3 on the workstation, and RH8.0 on the server. Both have
ypserv version 2.5 and ypbind-mt 1.11. The server is running an AMD Athlo
n, and the other a AMD Duron. I also have glibc 2.2.something.
        On the server, my /var/yp/securenets file looks like this:

255.255.255.0 192.168.0.0

        My ypserv.conf is pretty standard (dns: no) and rpcinfo -u www ypserv
 gives me:

program 100004 version 1 ready and waiting
program 100004 version 2 ready and waiting

        On the client, when I run ypwhich -m, I get:

Can't get map list for domain nisdarylbeattie. Reason: Can't bind to server
which serves this domain

        Does anybody have any ideas?
        Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

        Daryl.

1. PPP configuration problem - (I'm at my wit's end)

Hello,  I'm brand new to the Linux world.  I've read every related
document that came with my distribution and still can't figure out
what's wrong.

I installed Linux and X11 from a new Infomagic distribution.
Everything went very smoothly and configuration was a breeze, except
for a strange problem with PPP.

Using dip, I connect to my ppp server via 14400 modem, send my
username, password, and issue a ppp and end with 'mode PPP'.  All of
the IPs are dynamic (that is the IP assinged to my machine and the IP
of the machine I'm connected to) This works fine - I can telnet,
finger, ftp, ping, etc.  When I use ifconfig and route to look at the
current network status everything looks OK - my IP and the P-t-P IP
look OK.

HOWEVER, I can't get Netscape 2.02 working correctly.  If I give it a
host name it gets the IP and says "Connect:  Host conntacted, waiting
for reply" or something to that effect, but I never get any reply -
its like Netscape can find the host but the host can't send anything
back.

Is this a routing problem?  How do I configure it so that programs
other than telnet, ftp, etc. can work.

I've never done any network configuration so I'm not really sure how
to fix this problem.

jeff lee.

2. Netscape "out of memory" error on sending mail

3. At my wits' end with mouse problem & KVM...

4. good Linux-aware system seller?

5. FPC Setup "Free Pascal Compiler, I am at wit's end"

6. RED HAT 4.1 HELP!!!

7. ?: how is the loopback created; at wit's end

8. OpenLook Window Placement

9. Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

10. At wit's end with RealTek 8139c

11. Unstable ODT3 server... At wit's end

12. At wit's end...

13. Wit's end question -- files go to print spooler and are never printed