Any body is learning the Unix Network Programing Vol 1?

Post by Paul Hilto » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 03:53:18

> How to run the examples?

> I changes the property of configure to executable. But when I type
> ./configure
> It said
> ./configure: Command not found
> I have tried this on IBM unix, Linux, Sun, I got the same thing.

> Any help?
> Thanks a lot.

The ./ part means 'in the current working directory'
configure is a file that often comes with source code, and adapts the
details of the software to be compiled to the details of your system
(where to find libraries etc.)

Make sure that your current working directory is where you have put the
software you are trying to build.

Post by Huali » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:23:29

How to run the examples?

I changes the property of configure to executable. But when I type
./configure
It said
./configure: Command not found
I have tried this on IBM unix, Linux, Sun, I got the same thing.

Any help?
Thanks a lot.

Any body is learning the Unix Network Programing Vol 1?

Post by Huali » Sat, 12 Mar 2005 06:50:51

Thanks.
The directory should be all right.

Post by Peter Greenwo » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 01:36:49

>>> How to run the examples?

>>> I changes the property of configure to executable. But when I type
>>> ./configure
>>> It said
>>> ./configure: Command not found
>>> I have tried this on IBM unix, Linux, Sun, I got the same thing.

Maybe the configure script is corrupted, and is trying to run a command
that isn't in your path?

--

                                http://www.pgid.co.uk
                                +44 1253 821678

Any body is learning the Unix Network Programing Vol 1?

Yes, I guess so.

Post by Paul Hilto » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 02:57:34

> Maybe the configure script is corrupted, and is trying to run a command
> that isn't in your path?

The error was that the configure command itself isn't found. Maybe it's
permissions do not include executable by the current user?

Any body is learning the Unix Network Programing Vol 1?

I used chmod a+x configure. Anyone should be able to excute it.

Post by Douglas O'Nea » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:45:18

> I used chmod a+x configure. Anyone should be able to excute it.

>>>Maybe the configure script is corrupted, and is trying to run a command
>>>that isn't in your path?

>>The error was that the configure command itself isn't found. Maybe it's
>>permissions do not include executable by the current user?

How about showing us the output of:

ls -l configure
head -1 configure
echo $PATH

Post by Floyd L. Davids » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:00:42

>I used chmod a+x configure. Anyone should be able to excute it.

Do "/bin/ls -l ./configure" and verify that it is in fact
executable.  The permission string should look something like
"-rwxr-xr-x".

The configure program should be a shell script.  Take a look at
it with a text editor, and note the first line, which might look
something like this:

#!/bin/sh

If the command in that first line is not executable, you will
get an error message.  Is possible that the script has a
different path or a different shell than whatever your system
has?

As a last resort...  lets follow a logical approach and
narrow down what is and what is not working.  Do this:

   $ mv ./configure ./configure.orig
   $ echo "echo \"This is my configure.\"" > ./configure
   $ chmod 755 ./configure
   $ ./configure

That should result in "This is my configure." being output to the
screen.  If so, do "mv configure.orig configure" to restore the
original.  If not, find out why.  (Post your results here and
we'll think of ways to figure out what is going on.)

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>

Any body is learning the Unix Network Programing Vol 1?

Post by Huali » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:13:30

Appreciate the help from all your guys!

I think the scsript is not correct, although I got it from the offical
webpage.
The first line of the script is #! /bin/sh

So, I use the command
/bin/sh configure

Here is the output
: command not found
configure: line 21: syntax error near unexpected token 'elif'
configure: line 21: 'elif test -n "${BASH_VERSION+set}" && (set -o posix)
 >/dev/
   'ull 2>&1;then

By the way, the source code is here
http://www.unpbook.com/src.html

Post by Douglas O'Nea » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:27:08

> Appreciate the help from all your guys!

> I think the scsript is not correct, although I got it from the offical
> webpage.
> The first line of the script is #! /bin/sh

> So, I use the command
> /bin/sh configure

> Here is the output
> : command not found
> configure: line 21: syntax error near unexpected token 'elif'
> configure: line 21: 'elif test -n "${BASH_VERSION+set}" && (set -o posix)
>  >/dev/
>    'ull 2>&1;then

> By the way, the source code is here
> http://www.unpbook.com/src.html

>>>I used chmod a+x configure. Anyone should be able to excute it.

>>How about showing us the output of:

>>ls -l configure
>>head -1 configure
>>echo $PATH

My guess is that you unpacked the files on a Windows system and then transferred
in binary mode to the Unix/Linux systems.  You're seeing ^M at the end of each
line.  Run dos2unix on configure and then try the script again.

Doug

Any body is learning the Unix Network Programing Vol 1?

Post by Huali » Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:24:56

You are absolutely right.

Regards
Hualin

>> Appreciate the help from all your guys!

>> I think the scsript is not correct, although I got it from the offical
>> webpage.
>> The first line of the script is #! /bin/sh

>> So, I use the command
>> /bin/sh configure

>> Here is the output
>> : command not found
>> configure: line 21: syntax error near unexpected token 'elif'
>> configure: line 21: 'elif test -n "${BASH_VERSION+set}" && (set -o posix)
>>  >/dev/
>>    'ull 2>&1;then

>> By the way, the source code is here
>> http://www.unpbook.com/src.html

>>>How about showing us the output of:

>>>ls -l configure
>>>head -1 configure
>>>echo $PATH

> My guess is that you unpacked the files on a Windows system and then
> transferred
> in binary mode to the Unix/Linux systems.  You're seeing ^M at the end of
> each
> line.  Run dos2unix on configure and then try the script again.

> Doug

1. Unix network programming vol 1 edition 2 question

hai,

   I am having the same problem like that of Andrew Ng. And i tried
the suggesions (kgcc and -I option) given by the last two persons
above, but nothing worked in my linux box.

   I am using Redhat 7.1 with Intel (Pentium III) processor.

Thanks for any help provided.
Bye.

2. solaris 2.6: autoclient bug?

3. tcpdump for 1.2.13 (without ELF)

4. learning unix programming by studying unix source code ?

5. PCI Video Card with TV Out for Mandrake 9.0

6. I am new to Unix and Unix Programming HELP!

7. Mouse problem...

8. Stevens. Unix Network Programmers Guide Vol .2

9. Where to Learn Unix C Programming??

10. LEarning to program in UNIX Specs

11. Learning Unix C Programming