Terminal Server

Post by Bruce Hu » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi All,

I run a 5-node DOS based BBS running Wildcat, and have setup and installed
a Linux Box to connect my users to the InterNet.  The problem is that
the nodes are connecting to the Linux box via an ethernet link.  Thus,
when a user calls the bbs via modem, and transfers via ethernet link
into the Linux Box he cannot use any protocols whether locally or
via connection to telnet sites, and we cannot do SLIP.

So from what I've seen our three options are two run serial cables from
every node to the linux box so we can make a serial connection, put
modems on the linux box, or put up a terminal server being that bbs
callers could get routed thru ethernet to the bbs, internet callers
could get routed thru a serial cable to the linux box.

The only problem is that I don't know how to setup Linux to accept
incoming connections via the serial cord, nor how to setup a terminal
server for that matter.

Bruce A. Hunt

Terminal Server

Post by Koen J. Mulde » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>Hi All,

>I run a 5-node DOS based BBS running Wildcat, and have setup and installed
>a Linux Box to connect my users to the InterNet.  The problem is that

[ Very big snip about connecting to the internet from the BBS ]

If you want to offer internet to your BBS users, why not do it all on Linux?
There are several BBS systems for Linux (commercial and freeware). Face it,
Linux is a superior multi-user OS. I guess a fairly simple 486 could handle
5 users easily (downloading, news READING, ftp, muds, mail etc). I think
administrating only one OS would save you quite some time, too.

Koen

--
Koen Mulders

Terminal Server

Post by Eloy Paris x269 » Thu, 12 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: I guess a fairly simple 486 could handle
: 5 users easily (downloading, news READING, ftp, muds, mail etc). I think

What? Just that? Only 5 users? It should be more...

Eloy.-

--

Eloy A. Paris
Allen-Bradley de Venezuela

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to
change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

Reinhold Niebuhr "The Serenity Prayer"

Terminal Server

Post by pabl » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>> I run a 5-node DOS based BBS running Wildcat, and have setup and installed

>We had the identical need here 18 months ago.  Our solution at the time
>was a Livingston terminal server (10-port PM-2e street price about
>$2.1k) with it serving up the SLIP/PPP connections and offering callers
>other choices of going to the BBS or their shell account.  Attached is a
>diagram of a typical starter setup that can work for 5-lines to a 4-node
>BBS.  Our system has grown considerably beyond this, attesting to the

I have a similar system, a Cisco 2511 terminal server with 10 modems and
a serial V35 to a Frame Relay, and now I would like to connect the
terminal server to a Linux box via LAN. Then, I have a bit question...
the Cisco has an AUI connector, and the Linux box has a network card with
an AUI conn. too; Can I connect directly the two AUI ends w/o using
transceivers? (Like the 10BaseT RJ45's with a crossover cable)

It's very stupid this question? :^)

Thanks Jack!

Pablo.

Terminal Server

Post by RC Shepher » Thu, 19 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Here's just a thought...

Why not do it the other way round? Use the Linux box to handle the logins
and run something like a Telnet daemon (WATTCP) on the BBS machine. I'm
not sure how this will affect the "node" idea on the BBS. You can also use
serial cables and I suppose some creative redirecting should do the trick
- on /dev/ttyS1 (dial in 1) cat < /dev/ttyS5 > /dev/ttyS5 where the serial
cable is connected to the 5th serial port and going to the 1st node on the
BBS... (Not very elegant though).

If you are really brave, drop the BBS idea, convert your archive's
files.bbs to HTML format and put it on a web page. Use a web browser to
view and download - my users like it better - Internet/BBS no difference -
But with graphics etc.

Just MHO
Rudie