Why doesn't my ppp-on script work when su'ing

Why doesn't my ppp-on script work when su'ing

Post by Tim Gibso » Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:00:00

If I run my ppp-on script on the local consol when logging in as root then
it dials and connects perfectly.  But when I telnet into my linux box, log
in as a user, then su to root and try to run the ppp-onn scripts it does
nothing.  It just returns to the comman propt without even dialing hte
modem.  How can't I get it to dial when I su in?

Why doesn't my ppp-on script work when su'ing

Post by Jose Antonio C. Baduri » Wed, 16 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello Tim,

    I think there's a problem with your $PATH. Anyway, try using "su - root"
when su'ing to root so
that it would also run the profiles of root. It's just as if you logged in as
root. I think this should work.

Regards

> If I run my ppp-on script on the local consol when logging in as root then
> it dials and connects perfectly.  But when I telnet into my linux box, log
> in as a user, then su to root and try to run the ppp-onn scripts it does
> nothing.  It just returns to the comman propt without even dialing hte
> modem.  How can't I get it to dial when I su in?

Why doesn't my ppp-on script work when su'ing

Post by Stuart Morriso » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hello Tim,

>     I think there's a problem with your $PATH. Anyway, try using "su - root"
> when su'ing to root so
> that it would also run the profiles of root. It's just as if you logged in as
> root. I think this should work.

I'm have a similar problem too.

I wanted to allow a cgi program to start pppd to let everyone on my
Intranet bring up the link. There is apparently a problem with executing
pppd from a non local machine that can be solved by chmod'ing pppd but I
can't remember the mask to run pppd with as sticky UID of root -
Please someone help!! it's only four little digits I need!

Post by Pat Thoyt » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I wanted to allow a cgi program to start pppd to let everyone on my
> Intranet bring up the link. There is apparently a problem with executing
> pppd from a non local machine that can be solved by chmod'ing pppd but I
> can't remember the mask to run pppd with as sticky UID of root -
> Please someone help!! it's only four little digits I need!

chmod 4755 pppd or chmod u+s pppd

Pat.

1. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't

Not sure what i'm doing wrong...

First some backgound.... RedHat 6.0, kernel 2.2.5-15, USR 33.6 (not a winmodem)

I've edited ppp-on[off][-dialer] scripts to work flawlessly, however, If I try
to bring PPP up by running 'ifup ppp0', I get these errors:

SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

ifcfg-ppp0 look like this:

DEVICE="ppp0"
ONBOOT="no"
USERCTL="no"
MODEMPORT="/dev/modem"
LINESPEED="115200"
PERSIST="yes"
DEFABORT="yes"
DEBUG="yes"
INITSTRING="ATZ"
DEFROUTE="yes"
HARDFLOWCTL="yes"
ESCAPECHARS="no"
PPPOPTIONS=""
PAPNAME=""
REMIP="0.0.0.0"
NETMASK="0.0.0.0"
IPADDR="0.0.0.0"
MRU="1500"
MTU="1500"
DISCONNECTTIMEOUT="60"
RETRYTIMEOUT="5"
BOOTPROTO="none"

I am under the impression that an address of 0.0.0.0 means that the address is
dynamic, and will be assigned by the server. My username, passwd, and ISP's
telephone number are located in the file chat-ppp0, in the same directory.

My question then is, why am I getting MSG's complaining about dynamic
addresses? Am I using the wrong syntax? What do I have to do from here to get
the command ifup ppp0 to call and connect to my ISP? I think I'm pretty
close...I hope its something simple that I'm over-looking.

Thanks in advance for your gracious help,

-Chris

2. viewml cross compilation problem

3. su'ing doesn't read /.cshrc

4. 16 character usernames.

5. 'su --login user -c command' doesn't run loggin scripts

6. How to create a file from stdout?

7. 'su -c' doesn't work properly?

8. kernel modules settings

9. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

10. Can't Get PPP Working - Chat (ppp-on) script won't dial

11. vi doesn't work when trsh'ing

12. ppp-2.2 doesn't work whereas ppp2.1.2d works - why?

13. PPP connection works well ,while SLIP connection doesn't work,why and how?