Problem connecting Windows95 with Linux Samba over SSH

Problem connecting Windows95 with Linux Samba over SSH

Post by Vipul P. Gor » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello

Hello

I recently bought 1 user license of SSH Tunnel&Terminal for Windows95.
Prior to that I was using a trial version for about a month. I want to
set a VPN between my home computer and office lan. The office lan
gateway is Linux (Debian) running samba while at home I use Windows 95.

When I was using the trial version, I was able to tunnel to my company's
lan via my internet connection. After I bought the version, it does not
work at all. I am tunneling port# 137, 138 and 139 (netbios ports).  The
gateway machine at our company is Linux box running Samba while I am
using Windows95 at home.

There is also one another strange behaviour. I have two internet
services at home. One is dial-up (28.8K) while another is cable modem
(Ethernet -Static IP Address).
I can map the network drive of Linux on my PC using dial-up connection
but cannot map the same drive if I use Ethernet (cable modem)

I am not sure whether the tunnel is not working or whether samba cannot
resolve the netbios name, etc. etc.

There are some shared directories on Linux machine that I need to access
at home.

Can someone help.Any help will be highly appreciated

Regards,

Vipul

Problem connecting Windows95 with Linux Samba over SSH

Post by Yan Seine » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

It's possible that your cable modem provider is using a proxy server or
is otherwise blocking some ports.  See if you can telnet in to your
server on the ports you're tunneling.

Yan

> Hello

> Hello

> I recently bought 1 user license of SSH Tunnel&Terminal for Windows95.
> Prior to that I was using a trial version for about a month. I want to
> set a VPN between my home computer and office lan. The office lan
> gateway is Linux (Debian) running samba while at home I use Windows 95.

> When I was using the trial version, I was able to tunnel to my company's
> lan via my internet connection. After I bought the version, it does not
> work at all. I am tunneling port# 137, 138 and 139 (netbios ports).  The
> gateway machine at our company is Linux box running Samba while I am
> using Windows95 at home.

> There is also one another strange behaviour. I have two internet
> services at home. One is dial-up (28.8K) while another is cable modem
> (Ethernet -Static IP Address).
> I can map the network drive of Linux on my PC using dial-up connection
> but cannot map the same drive if I use Ethernet (cable modem)

> I am not sure whether the tunnel is not working or whether samba cannot
> resolve the netbios name, etc. etc.

> There are some shared directories on Linux machine that I need to access
> at home.

> Can someone help.Any help will be highly appreciated

> Regards,

> Vipul

1. Trying to connect to a Linux Samba server locks Windows95 up tight

  When I try to connect our Win95 machine to our Linux machine running
Samba they semi-lockup and loose all network abilities. This is when I
double click on the Linux machine in the "Network Neighborhood." My NT
machines can connect just fine and have no problems with data access on
the Linux machine. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

--
Jeff Claggett
Network Systems Engineer

2. snoop for ATM ?

3. windows95 DUN/linux samba/tcp problems?

4. SMTP problems

5. Problem with connecting linux with windows95

6. newbie question about routers

7. Slower ppp connect time with Linux than with Windows95?

8. PF and FTP

9. Connecting Windows95 and Linux (SUSE) computer by serial cable

10. F-Secure SSH Client (Win) cannot connect to Solaris 9 SSH

11. Problems in Win95 connecting to Linux Samba server running PPP

12. Problem when connecting w98 with Linux (Samba)

13. Printing from Windows95 on SCO Merge to a remote Windows95 printer