Linux sees campus but nothing else

Post by John Alexande » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I've installed Red Hat 5.x on a Dell 166, 3Com Vortex card. The Linux
machine can connect to any machine on the campus subnet (130.160.0.0)
using Lynx, ftp, or telnet, but it won't connect to anything outside the
subnet.

What have I misconfigured?

--
John Alexander
Manager, Area Computing Services

Linux sees campus but nothing else

Post by Rob van der Putte » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi there

> I've installed Red Hat 5.x on a Dell 166, 3Com Vortex card. The Linux
> machine can connect to any machine on the campus subnet (130.160.0.0)
> using Lynx, ftp, or telnet, but it won't connect to anything outside the
> subnet.

Find out which machine connects to the outside world and tell your machine
to use this machine as its gateway.

Regards,
Rob

Post by Phil DeBecke » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I've installed Red Hat 5.x on a Dell 166, 3Com Vortex card. The Linux
> machine can connect to any machine on the campus subnet (130.160.0.0)
> using Lynx, ftp, or telnet, but it won't connect to anything outside the
> subnet.

> What have I misconfigured?

You seem to have omitted a gateway.  Find out what your network's gateway
to the outside world is, and set that IP address as your default gateway
address.

Phil

Linux sees campus but nothing else

Post by Juergen Kapfhame » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Can it be also a question of missing proxy server connection?
In my case I need to define a proxy entry to browse outside the local domain.
Does anybody know where to define the proxy setting?

thanks,
juergen

> > I've installed Red Hat 5.x on a Dell 166, 3Com Vortex card. The Linux
> > machine can connect to any machine on the campus subnet (130.160.0.0)
> > using Lynx, ftp, or telnet, but it won't connect to anything outside the
> > subnet.

> > What have I misconfigured?

> You seem to have omitted a gateway.  Find out what your network's gateway
> to the outside world is, and set that IP address as your default gateway
> address.

> Phil

1. HELP: Seeing nothing!!!!

Hello out there!!!!

Could someone enlighten me.....

This is my unsolved mystery:
first PC:
IMB P133+ with DEC DE205 ethercard.
OS: Linux Slackware 2.0.12
at boot: kernel detects card perfectly
ping loopback: OK
ping own IP-adr. (1.1.1.1): OK
ping other PC: NOTHING

Other PC:
486sx with Linux Slackware 2.0.0
netcard: DEC DE100
kernel detects netcard at boot, no errors
Ping loopback: OK
Ping own IP (1.1.1.2): OK
Ping other PC: Nothing!

Both are BNC cards.
Both are connected AND terminated
I already tried another cable

If i do a ifconfig, everything looks just normal, same network adress,
same broadcast adress, diff. IP adress, same netmask

And all i did is follow the Howto & Faq's!!!

Help!!!

Please provide me with usefull tips!!!

2. SunWorld Online Table of Contents for February 1996

3. ifconfig sees eth0, but nothing seems to work

4. Data I/O Unisite programmer + UNIX/LINUX

5. Network interface sees broadcasts but nothing else!?!

6. Keepalives on Apache 1.2b(*) not dying?

7. Redhat 6.0 - kppp connects but nothing else sees the connection

8. AHA-1535 kernel config info?

9. Why the memory seen in Linux differs from the one seen in BIOS

10. W95 sees all 96MB, Linux only sees 64MB?!

11. Nothing to do with Nothing

12. Linux as campus-wide mail server

13. dial in Linux or Win95 pc from campus's unix box?