Wireless and old-fashioned wired adapter

Wireless and old-fashioned wired adapter

Post by Hans » Tue, 06 May 2003 20:32:20

Hi all,

I am setting up a system in a kind of kiosk-environment, where I do not have
a mouse or keyboard on site. This means that I can almost not control any
internal stuff on the system when I am on the site.

My problem is that all network traffic is handled by the wireless adapter,
even when there is no wireless network available or when I have a cable
plugged in my normal adapter. This means that I cannot perform any network
operations without a wireless network (unless I completely uninstall/bring
down the wireless card).
Both adapters have the same settings (gateway, subnet mask), but a different
(local) IP address in the 192.168.0.x range

Configuration:
Redhat 7.3
Wireless network adapter
Wired adapter

Anyone any idea how to make the wireless default, but switch to the other
adapter if no wireless network available (or the other way around: use the
normal adapter, and switch to the wireless if no cable attached)??

Regards,
Hans.

Wireless and old-fashioned wired adapter

Post by Tauno Voipi » Wed, 07 May 2003 21:47:22

Quote:> Hi all,

> I am setting up a system in a kind of kiosk-environment, where I do not
have
> a mouse or keyboard on site. This means that I can almost not control any
> internal stuff on the system when I am on the site.

> My problem is that all network traffic is handled by the wireless adapter,
> even when there is no wireless network available or when I have a cable
> plugged in my normal adapter. This means that I cannot perform any network
> operations without a wireless network (unless I completely uninstall/bring
> down the wireless card).
> Both adapters have the same settings (gateway, subnet mask), but a
different
> (local) IP address in the 192.168.0.x range

> Configuration:
> Redhat 7.3
> Wireless network adapter
> Wired adapter

> Anyone any idea how to make the wireless default, but switch to the other
> adapter if no wireless network available (or the other way around: use the
> normal adapter, and switch to the wireless if no cable attached)??

There is a package called ifplugd. It detects if the cable is plugged in and
it is able to run the wired NIC up and down.

HTH

Tauno Voipio

1. Good old-fashioned HLT freezes on 486?

I have a 486 laptop with 20 megs of RAM.  I have Red Hat 6.2 on it
currently.  I want to get FreeBSD on it.  The problem is that the installer
freezes.  The RH installer also froze, but I was able to feed a no-hlt
parameter to the kernel, and then the installer worked fine.  Can I also do
this for FreeBSD, or are there disk images that cater to this problem?

Also, since it always freezes on the screen to select a installation source
from the network, I suppose it could be a PCMCIA bug or something?  But
since I've tried 3 different ethernet PCMCIA cards, I suspect it's the HLT
instructions.

2. Help Needed: Lilo can't boot Win95

3. old-fashioned big-endian EXT2 filesystem

4. 3.0 rc* / 3.0 final - changes?

5. FastTrack Admin the Old Fashioned Way

6. 3com 595 on 1.2.13ELF?

7. Unix file locking done the old fashioned way: need cookbook example

8. SAINT 2.0 beta 1 now available

9. Program to generate old fashion banners

10. Good old fashion advocacy

11. Speeding up old fashioned serial FIFO by TI 16750

12. Suggestions for Wireless PCI Card or Wireless USB Adapter for Fedora

13. X Windows and my old old old old video card